Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Question for REV users

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostSun Apr 27, 08 9:08 pm    Question for REV users Reply with quote

Today at Stevenson i was on my 11m, powered.

A couple times when the wind was on the lighter side and i needed to relaunch the kite I had some trouble. I noticed this especially when i lost my board. I think i didnt have enough resistance to 'flip' the kite.

Anybody else experience this and/or have any tips for relaunching in lighter air?

I am pulling on the outside (back) line to rotate the kite to launch it, hot usually.

thanks,

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostSun Apr 27, 08 9:22 pm    Light wind relaunch Reply with quote

In light wind, my method is to pull one of the back lines to pull the kite to one side, then pull the other back line to re-launch. This gives the kite some room to power up and get momentum. Losing the board does make it tougher.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon Apr 28, 08 4:02 am    Not sure of your kite position but Reply with quote

When my kite is downwind and looking to take a sit on the trailing edge I grab the front lines and get the kite up. If there's not enough wind to keep the kite on edge then just try to keep it up.
I'm on TD II's Love em. Very Happy

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Apr 28, 08 6:20 am     Reply with quote

when its light you have to bring it to the edge of the window-just like most kites. If its super light you really have to finess it to keep it on edge and not flop back down into the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostMon Apr 28, 08 6:36 am     Reply with quote

Make sure your bar it all the way out/depowered, then pull one of the outside lines.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Apr 28, 08 6:52 am    details Reply with quote

thanks for the info guys. I think Rico may have the solution but here are a few more details.

my problem is when the kite is downwind of me LE down. I pull on one of the back lines, as ususal, to put the kite on its 'end'. the problem is the kite will not rotate off the LE.

Once i can get the Kite to rotate to its 'end' i have no problem. but in light wind it seem to be tough.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostMon Apr 28, 08 7:07 am    Re: details Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
my problem is when the kite is downwind of me LE down. I pull on one of the back lines, as ususal, to put the kite on its 'end'. the problem is the kite will not rotate off the LE.

Push out the bar out. This is why it won't rotate off the LE. When you have the bar pulled in with LE down, the force towards the water is too great. Sheet out/Bar away from you and the kite will not have so much downward force (towards water) and will rotate onto its back/trailing edge and will then relaunch.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2579 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Apr 28, 08 7:43 am     Reply with quote

In my experience I felt like I had to keep the kite straight down wind of me in order to pull on the back line and get it to flip.

If I worked it to the side like a traditional relaunch I couldn't get it to flip....

?

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Apr 28, 08 8:19 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
In my experience I felt like I had to keep the kite straight down wind of me in order to pull on the back line and get it to flip.

If I worked it to the side like a traditional relaunch I couldn't get it to flip....

?

That's exactly how it should be done, at least for a water relauch. Amery's super good at self-launching them off to the side (on land) though!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Apr 28, 08 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

I think Amery just wills it back into the air like Chuck Norris

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3678 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Apr 28, 08 4:31 pm     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
I think Amery just wills it back into the air like Chuck Norris

Laughing

www.naishkites.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: