Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kiting islamorada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostSat Dec 15, 07 12:48 pm    kiting islamorada Reply with quote

I have a chance to go to islamorada, floridea for a couple weeks end of dec. As far as I can tell googling it, looks like a really good kite spot. Has anyone ridden there this time of year? What kind of wind is typical? The best wind direction for riding? Comments and recommendations are appreciated.

windonthewater.com has the current conditions blowing in the 20's.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSat Dec 15, 07 4:07 pm     Reply with quote

Islamorada is a great place to kite! I went down there late November a few years ago. We rode at the Whale Harbor Resort. Just drop in a talk to Brad Lange with 7Sports at the marina (mile marker 83). You can ride any wind direction in the Keys. Just rig your kite and wade out into the water and launch from the knee deep water. You can ride way offshore and still be in knee deep water. One bit of advice is to bring some polarized glasses. It is very helpful to see obstacles on the bottom. If it is not windy in the keys, you can usually find wind somewhere in Florida within a days drive.

rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostSat Dec 15, 07 4:40 pm     Reply with quote

shitcha!! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thx man.

SoOR

Since 10 Mar 2007
56 Posts
Ashland, OR

PostSat Dec 15, 07 4:53 pm     Reply with quote

ps- lot of kiting in Key West too which is easy day trip there and where more action is outside of kiting.......Paul Menta has website for keywest: http://www.thekitehouse.com/key_west.php

i think he will take experienced riders offshore too outside of lessons

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostTue Dec 18, 07 8:25 pm     Reply with quote

I had a great time there about a year ago. 3 days of solid 30kt winds from the NE and several downwinders from Whale Harbor to the Lower Matecumbe Key area. There are lots of public beaches with parking lots in the area and you just downwind to them. I'd do some research with a car or hook up w/some locals but there are many little hedges, keys and other wind blocks that make for some very tasty flat water on the lee side. Taxis can get you back too, bring some quarters and bills. Good pics and info here http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-2959.html&highlight=islamorada.

On a Rampage

Since 19 Dec 2007
17 Posts
Florida Keys

PostWed Dec 19, 07 6:42 pm    Re: kiting islamorada Reply with quote

rich wrote:
I have a chance to go to islamorada, floridea for a couple weeks end of dec. As far as I can tell googling it, looks like a really good kite spot. Has anyone ridden there this time of year? What kind of wind is typical? The best wind direction for riding? Comments and recommendations are appreciated.

windonthewater.com has the current conditions blowing in the 20's.

Whale Harbor is a great place to ride but only for intermediate to expert riders. You must also pay $10.00 per day to ride there. Anne's Beach is about 10 milessouth and a much better place for beginners. Winds are usually @ 18-23 mph and the best direction is east as it is sideshore. All beaches here in the keys face south. There are only 7 beaches to ride from in the keys and only 2 of those actally have a beach.

7 Sports is still here though usually closed but most locals and Florida riders will send you to The Otherside Boardsport in Islamorada at mm 87.7. They are by far the best shop in the keys specializing in skateboarding, wakeboarding, kiteboarding and stand up paddleboarding with gear from SS, North, Cabrihna, Best, Windwing, Hyperlite, New Wakeskates, Admundson and many more. They have a free barbecue every sunday at Anne's Beach when windy and at there shop if no wind. BYOB!! If your in town, stop by and get the lowdown.

oTHErside Boardsports
(305)853-9728

On a Rampage

Since 19 Dec 2007
17 Posts
Florida Keys

PostWed Dec 19, 07 6:49 pm     Reply with quote

barfly wrote:
I had a great time there about a year ago. 3 days of solid 30kt winds from the NE and several downwinders from Whale Harbor to the Lower Matecumbe Key area. There are lots of public beaches with parking lots in the area and you just downwind to them. I'd do some research with a car or hook up w/some locals but there are many little hedges, keys and other wind blocks that make for some very tasty flat water on the lee side. Taxis can get you back too, bring some quarters and bills. Good pics and info here http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-2959.html&highlight=islamorada.

barfly: Funny thing is that only 2-3 pics on the whole thread are from the keys. (no waves except when there is a hurricane) The rest are Boyton Inlet and Delray Beach.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostThu Dec 20, 07 7:18 am     Reply with quote

On a Rampage wrote:

barfly: Funny thing is that only 2-3 pics on the whole thread are from the keys. (no waves except when there is a hurricane) The rest are Boyton Inlet and Delray Beach.

I guess that is funny... the post is from a FLA tour, the cable park is in Deerfield Beach, and theres some shots from Matheson Hammock. Good wind for an entire week, I was very impressed with the variety. The video link is the best and is all Islamorada. There's tons to do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: