Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Drop some foil knowledge on me please - for winging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ihsurf

Since 19 Nov 2011
17 Posts

PostSun Jun 19, 22 8:47 pm    Drop some foil knowledge on me please - for winging Reply with quote

I learned to prone surf foil and wing on my slingshot hoverglide infinity 76 this year. I genuinely really like it and I have slammed it into so many rocks yet nothing but superficial damage.

But I'd like something that stays with the rolling open water swell better. I can usually only stay with the swell for 10 seconds or so before having to put the wing back in position. Not sure if this is due to bad technique or maybe thats the best I can get from the low aspect foil?

I've heard high aspect foils have better glide at the expense of turning. But it seems like there is a big variation in what "high aspect" refers to. Like the Armstrong ha series with a 10 aspect ratio, I'm pretty sure I don't want that.

Ideally I want to drop the wing for as long as possible and focus on surfing the swell but surfing it to me means making turns on it, so I'd to avoid purchasing an expensive piece of gear that doesn't help me achieve that goal.

Any recommendations? Tips on technique?

I'm looking at either the phantasm 926 or axis BSC 890 thinking these may be the best of both worlds. I believe both have a aspect ratio of around 6 or 7.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jun 20, 22 5:34 am     Reply with quote

I have the BSC 1060 and love it, but it's all I've really known. A friend who is farther along and has ridden many different foils tried it and loved the way it turned. I think the BSC line is the sweet spot for AR.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 20, 22 4:34 pm     Reply with quote

It's a myth that high aspect/surf foils don't turn well. They do. AR 7-8 is the sweet spot.
The Phantasm is great. It's not legit HA - its more of a HA/Surf foil.
True HA foils are the race foils (ar ~ 10).
I ride a similar foil to the Phantasm - the Sab foil 940 (ar 8-1) which I also recommend.
Almost all the major brands are putting out great foils...
F-one, SAB, Lift, Axis, Slingshot, Takuma.

If you drop below an AR of 7 or 8 you'll lose the glide you're after.

Go to the Hatchery on a windy day - watch the riders whose style you want to emulate, observe what foils they are riding. I guarantee they will all be on HA/surf foils.

Last edited by ldhr on Tue Jun 21, 22 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1312 Posts

Possessed

PostMon Jun 20, 22 8:29 pm     Reply with quote

I am enjoying the Armstrong HS1050. I am 150ish so you might consider the HS1250 if you weigh more.

All the best,
Hein

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostTue Jun 21, 22 4:42 am     Reply with quote

It is a bit tricky because in general, there is a tradeoff between glide and quick turns. It is hard to beat a very high AR foil for glide (such as the Armstrong 1125 and 925; AR 10) ) but when you are locked in at speed, it takes some effort and lots of skill to turn well. I enjoy them the most when the wave faces are not super steep as is often the case here and I am just gliding and doing some carving turns. The mid aspect wings (AR 5-6) are definitely more "surfy" and I enjoy my Armstrong 1250/1050 more when it gets steeper. The AR is not everything, but it definitely matters. I found the same to be true when I had Axis foils. You ultimately need a quiver of foils. Very Happy

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Jun 21, 22 11:27 am     Reply with quote

So my Axis BSC 1060 AR = 6.51 and I would say I have been struggling with glide. I'm fine until I try to flag the wing and then I drop like a stone.

It's probably as much skill and technique as AR, but that's my experience so far.

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostSat Jun 25, 22 7:46 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
It's a myth that high aspect/surf foils don't turn well. They do. AR 7-8 is the sweet spot.
The Phantasm is great. It's not legit HA - its more of a HA/Surf foil.
True HA foils are the race foils (ar ~ 10).
I ride a similar foil to the Phantasm - the Sab foil 940 (ar 8-1) which I also recommend.
Almost all the major brands are putting out great foils...
F-one, SAB, Lift, Axis, Slingshot, Takuma.

If you drop below an AR of 7 or 8 you'll lose the glide you're after.

Go to the Hatchery on a windy day - watch the riders whose style you want to emulate, observe what foils they are riding. I guarantee they will all be on HA/surf foils.

This dude has it right.

Also it is imperative you ride the foil as close to the surface of the water and keep it there. It's natural for the foil to want to sink when you get into a trough between swell peaks. Shift your weight back and pump it to get it back to the surface if you want to keep your momentum.

AC

Since 04 Jul 2012
66 Posts

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 05, 22 7:07 pm     Reply with quote

consumer and ldhr pretty much summed it up. Get a decent aspect ratio and use pump technique to elevate. Think of the mast height (out of water) as your “stored energy meter”. It’s scary to “ride high” because your margin for error for breaching declines, but that’s how you keep riding swell unaided. Over time you learn how to adjust with position on wave, gusts of wind, hand wing movement, and body position all being variables that effect mast height.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: