Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

SUP foiling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 27, 18 11:50 am    SUP foiling Reply with quote

I see that a lot of you guys are now kite foiling. I was wondering if any had tried out SUP foiling. I'm interested in waves (as opposed to downwind). Any input appreciated. I've done the regular googlin' but it's nice to be able to ask questions.
thx.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Aug 28, 18 9:50 am     Reply with quote

E, not sure if you've seen this video yet but a few HR guys are making downwinders......dare I say......look easy. Shocked

Steep learning curve and the people doing this (Alex, Rod, TJ, Kalama's) have a skill set and stamina most other mere mortals do not possess. Smaller boards with massive wings as they tweak their gear for greater results.

https://www.facebook.com/alex.aguera.1/videos/2124627534274886/UzpfSTU3MzQ5NzE1NDoxMDE1NTUyMjE3NDA0MjE1NQ/?fb_dtsg_ag=AdxIZidicGeJDcMWau54svqQAddWJy_obscbHrHSCsomCQ%3AAdwCDp8ECFRrpr_nJFtxPXFxKJRzQh50y15ZHZ2zkh9LBQ

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Aug 28, 18 2:08 pm     Reply with quote

I surfed for a week with a guy who SUP foiled. His wave count crushed and he could jump on anyone's wave and would be so far out front no one minded sharing.

But I like kite foiling because it make choppy flat water smooth and fun, but waves are already smooth. Plus on our coast you can be surfing in pretty shallow water.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 29, 18 6:41 am     Reply with quote

shymac has been riding the gofoil SUP style wing with his kite at stevenson. he kites but is also going to use it on the SUP
you might hit him up for advice.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Aug 29, 18 7:31 am    Question Reply with quote

I got the Lift foil from Slingshot a couple years ago. At the time I thought it was a Slingshot model but I guess Lift is it's own foil brand?

Anyway, last week I got it on some head high-ish ocean waves in gusty 6m conditions. I found that power of the wave made me accelerate so fast I couldn't control it. Would a surf wing help with this?

scottm

Since 12 Jun 2006
108 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Aug 29, 18 5:03 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, a larger surf foil is way easier to handle in waves. I had the same Lift you have, and now have the new Lift 170, which works great in the waves and on the river, and is 70% bigger. I've had it in solid head and a half waves (same with the classic Lift), and the biggest challenge is keeping the kite in the sky as you race down the line, going way way way way faster than you want to. I usually leave the kite pointed towards shore and kinda upwind, jibe off the monster swell before or as it's pitching, and then down loop the kite to get it back where it should be. If you try to track the kite above or in front of you, the lines will go very slack and the kite will hindenburg. In smaller waves, things are way more manageable.

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostFri Aug 31, 18 9:52 am     Reply with quote

I just got the Gofoil combo at Bigwinds this summer. The Surf 170 and Downwind 200 wings. Pretty much my first year on a foil and its been a blast. Super hard but very fulfilling once you start getting your gear and footing dialed in. So far, I've been on the river with my foils and plan a coastal trip soon after all these fin' kids are back in school. What I've learn from the surf wing I've been using is it's great for that soul session. Super slow, tons of lift but super surfy and I can use a 4.5 or 6m with 20m lines, majority of the time with a 2004 122 SX Doyle w/stuck a mount, that allows me to attached the Gofoil. Stoked to have the 122 out again! Having very little kite power really allows you to pump and catch that glide in swell similar to down winding on sup and with the slower speed its take more balance and focus. So that's been helping my practice when it's not windy enough to foilsup. I did that same thing for a white water river sup board i had. Badfish. Great board to learn on if you have one lying around or can find one on the cheap. If you have a boat great - learn on that but the kite is a great way to start figuring it out. Helps with finding your footing on a bigger board and once you start catching those bumps its helps you "road map" in front of you to keep that glide going. Foilsup is hard as hell but with practice and the right gear I believe most riders could have a go at it and really enjoy the freedom of self power! So far I'm about 10 times out and I think it will take another 10 more to get that "stair-step" learning curve thing going... haha.

nesterg

Since 10 Sep 2006
23 Posts

PostFri Aug 31, 18 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Shymac,
I’m also learning sup foiling this year and was thinking of doing what you did, sticking a foil mount onto a old short twin tip I never use. How do you decide where to mount the foil? Do you mount it so that the front foil is between foot straps or get rid of foot straps?
Just trying to get some time on foil since I’m not getting it by paddling for it yet. 😏

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostSat Sep 01, 18 8:42 am     Reply with quote

nesterg wrote:
Shymac,
I’m also learning sup foiling this year and was thinking of doing what you did, sticking a foil mount onto a old short twin tip I never use. How do you decide where to mount the foil? Do you mount it so that the front foil is between foot straps or get rid of foot straps?
Just trying to get some time on foil since I’m not getting it by paddling for it yet. 😏

If it's a twin tip you should probably just have it about 4-6 inches from the back of the board. Kinda right in the middle of your back fin placement. Depending on the length of board and size of wing - if its got a lot of lift like a surf or downwind foil you need to make sure you can put enough weight up front to keep that high lift foil down in the water when going quickish. So make sure the mount isn't to far forward or you'll be bucked off all the time.. If its a 6'10 sup I'm about 16" from the back of the tail. The stick on has room to tweek the perfect position, so as long as its not to far forward and on the tail you should be all good. The tail of the wing should be a little inside the sup board outline. With the 122 twin tip the back wing pokes out a little but with the sup the foil is inside the board outline and I place the foil all the way forward on the stick pad. The stick mount really works! Just bake it in the sun for one day for a good stick. Sand it too before you stick it. Been running that system all summer long and haven't seen any delame issues with either boards.
***Make sure to put it on STRAIGHT! Cool

nesterg

Since 10 Sep 2006
23 Posts

PostSun Sep 02, 18 8:18 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and good info.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 13, 18 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

i was out sup surfing yesterday and this morning, in lots of mush, with an occasional good wave, but i used the time in-between to really look around. so many swells out deep that could be ridden for...well...ever.

so, i bit the bullet. I was leaning towards a slingshot setup, but their boards that are available are really long, and won't release the new ones until december. I could wait...but, that's not my gig! Smile

i bit the bullet on a blueplanet v2 board and all carbon foil.

i watched this vid
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7CzUjwtjn0[/youtube]

and then this one

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tluw3l37iek[/youtube]

and decided to call them up. super nice guys, super helpful.
in the end, i broke down and ordered a new setup. should be here early next week.
if timing works out, i may be riding it wednesday. actually, i should say, i may be falling off it wednesday.

thanks for all the info above. I was still believing i needed a long board until i watched that gorge downwinder vid. crazy skills those guys.

if i see you out, feel free to ask me for a ride. i might say yes.
!

nesterg

Since 10 Sep 2006
23 Posts

PostFri Sep 14, 18 8:24 am     Reply with quote

TinyE, congrats on the new gear. Sounds like they have a handle on their foil board inventory now. I ordered my Blue Planet easy foiler in Feb and got it in July😏
Hence I only have 16 sessions in with the Columbia downwind season kinda winding down. I have the 6’11” board and large foil (1750cm2) I would like to try out the Maliko 200 (2000cm2) to see if the larger wing would get this beginner up on foil more.
I don’t have the V2 board or the carbon foil. The regular foil is really heavy.
You are out on the ocean right? Best of luck with the new gear. We’ll be interested to hear your review.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 14, 18 8:45 am     Reply with quote

thanks yah! i'll post after i get out on it.

i got the 6'11" board too. i was worried about going any smaller (even though I'm small) because i still have to paddle the thing and don't want to get frustrated.
foil is all carbon, I went size medium. According to my weight (145), that was the fit for me. i've lugged around the Aluminum foils for too many years (since 2000!), looking forward to shedding some weight!

i might get out in the gorge on occassion too! i'll look for you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: