Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

newkiter neeed advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
surfncap

Since 06 Mar 2007
77 Posts
NE

PostMon Mar 26, 07 11:34 am    newkiter neeed advice please Reply with quote

I only have 1,150$ to spend on kiteing this spring and all summer. I have 2 KITES old crappy 12,16. I am spending 250.00 on lessons. I can rig bodydrag all directions, cant relaunch so good or get on board. Any suggestions for instructors. This leaves me little $ for gear I was thinking a used best 14. But ill have to replace bar too.
I want to get the most beginner friendly gear. THANX Very Happy

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostMon Mar 26, 07 11:53 am     Reply with quote

You are definitely doing the right thing by budgeting for lessons.

Gorge Performance in Portland is having their annual spring swap this sunday, April 1 at their shop.

This will be a great chance to pick up some used gear at great prices, as it brings many sellers together in one spot, for one day... so you basically get to shop many options, brands and deals all at once.

Check the details at http://www.gorgeperformance.com

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostMon Mar 26, 07 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

The kites you want will also depend on where you are going to ride. Where do you plan on spending most of your time?

surfncap

Since 06 Mar 2007
77 Posts
NE

PostTue Mar 27, 07 2:51 pm    most of the time sauvies Reply with quote

I live in north portland. Several people have said the best kites are the easiest for beginners. Im 220 lbs, 6 ft. I was thinking like maybe a 14m. Any recomendations.
THANX

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Mar 27, 07 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

If you live in North Portland there are going to be a lot of options for kiting - but one kite will most likely not work for every spot. The gorge out towards hood river blows hard and is a sweet spot. Sauvie's Island is also a sweet spot - but for other reasons. Sauvie's Island ("SI") is close and there is a lot of open room to set up and plenty of water area. However, it doesn't blow very hard.

There is also Stevenson - about twenty miles or so west of Hood River - that blows generally somewhere inbetween hood river and sauvie's island. And then Rooster Rock blows pretty light throughout the season - but towards the end of the season - man you get rocking 40+ mph winds!

You may want to get two kites - one for light wind conditions and one for strong wind conditions. If you are thinking about getting some Best Waroos thats probably a good option because they have such a wide wind range. Hopefully others will post back and give you an ideal size for your weight.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue Mar 27, 07 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe you should get a 12 and a bigger board for starting. If you are going to only ride Sauvies than 14 might not be a bad idea but if you want to ride anywhere else you should consider a smaller kite. You can actually make a board to save money too. I made my first board and which I still have for light wind days. Super cheap and exactly what you need for learning.

heres a couple posts on makeing your own board
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-621.html&highlight=doolittle+custom

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-503.html&highlight=wood+board

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostTue Mar 27, 07 6:07 pm     Reply with quote

Also if you are limited on budget you dont really have to get a different bar for a waroo. You can buy the new SS chickenloop and rig it up pretty easily.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: