Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

North Coast kiting the next 4 days

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostThu Sep 04, 14 10:01 am    North Coast kiting the next 4 days Reply with quote

Finally got some time to sneak out to the coast for a few days. Sitting at Nehalem State Park right now getting some work done. Hoping Manzanita turns north in a few hours and we can get out this afternoon. Having kited here before. Where is the best place to park the RV? Anything to watch out for? I thought I'd heard that farther south was a bit better than the north end of the bay.

Anyone have any suggestions on other spots to look at this weekend? Anyone else around this afternoon?

Blue skies and breezy already this morning.

Tony

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1473 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 04, 14 10:12 am     Reply with quote

Manzo is the one of the prettiest and windiest spot on the North Coast. Good donuts too.... but the waves are not that great.
You can launch from the park. Or you can do shuttles from Manzo beach down to the Park (best way to kite Manzo).
As soon as it's kiteable the locals will show up.
If it's windy in Astoria - better waves can be found at Ft. Stevens Park by doing a downwinder from parking lot B to the beach known as Shipwrecks (also in the Ft. Stevens park.
Lots of room in the Fort Stevens parking lots for the Best RV.

Last edited by ldhr on Thu Sep 04, 14 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 04, 14 10:55 am     Reply with quote

glad the RV is back up and going. Saw it sitting at the chevron yesterday. hope its all good!!

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostThu Sep 04, 14 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

tony,

the problem you got in the next four days is east wind in the forecast. if east winds make it to the coast, it mixes in with the north and you get offshore wind. and in my experience, it is pretty messy on the inside (too close to the dunes and trees and such? dunno)

we once kited nehalem bay on the inside of the state park on an east day because we were afraid to kite in the offshore winds. was pretty fun. just watch the outgoing tide if the wind gets light.

good luck.

chris

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1473 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 04, 14 1:54 pm     Reply with quote

thanks Chris! I sent some out of town visitors to Manzo from HR today thinking it was a lock to find good wind.
Sitting here in HR scratching my head as Manzo is only blowing 9 knots at 3:00 PM.
Your theory may explain why most of the coast is windy and Manzo is not.

carolb

Since 04 Nov 2006
590 Posts
Stevenson, WA in the summer, SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostThu Sep 04, 14 8:42 pm    Coast on Fri? Reply with quote

Anyone want to hook up for a sesh or 2 on Fri. We're at Manzo in the state park.

Carol & Tony

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 05, 14 9:04 am    Thurs report Reply with quote

Wind was good down at Nehalem State Park, managed a late session until 7pm on my 7m and fun 6' waves.

Wind in front of hotels wasn't kiteable, I expect today will be similar with all this east wind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: