Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Car broken into. 2 kites and 2 boards stolen.
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
milestro

Since 12 Jul 2012
8 Posts

Kook

PostThu Jun 12, 14 8:27 pm    Car broken into. 2 kites and 2 boards stolen. Reply with quote

Car was broken into on 5/23/14 in Seattle. I posted on PSKite already.

Boards:
- 2013 North Wam 5'10''
RRD foostraps
white Future fins
one repair on bottom deck, painted over with North logo
- 2013 North XRide 139cm (orange) with Entity footpads (white).

Kites:
- 2013/2014 Naish Ride (Gen 2) 14m (kite is orange, bag is white)
- 2012 Naish Park 10m (kite is red, bag is black and green).

Please txt me at [F0ur t0o 5. T0o 7 n1ne. 3 7 quatr0 3] if you see something that could be my gear.

Thanks.

black RRD footstraps
<br />quad white future fins 
<br />one repair (hard to see)
 black RRD footstraps
quad white future fins
one repair (hard to see)
 My North Wam.jpg 
   My Naish X-Ride 139cm with Entity Foostraps.jpg 
   x-ride-139.jpg 
2013/14 naish ride. orange. mine is size 14.
 2013/14 naish ride. orange. mine is size 14.  naish ride (not mine but same model and color, in a different size).jpg 
naish ride 14 bag. Same color bag, but my kite is orange not yellow.
 naish ride 14 bag. Same color bag, but my kite is orange not yellow.  naish ride bag (not mine but same bag).jpg 
naish park bag. Same color but mine is size 10
 naish park bag. Same color but mine is size 10  naish park bag (mine is size 10, this is size 14, same color bag otherwise).jpg 

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 12, 14 9:40 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Milestro :

Sorry to hear about your theft.
We'll all keep our eyes open down here in the Gorge.

I'm kinda getting wound up over all the kite thefts happening this month.
Makes you want to form up a kite posse to troll classifieds and set up some beat down visits for thieves that are found. Damn....

www.Purestokesports.com

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostFri Jun 13, 14 7:34 am     Reply with quote

Yup things are getting out of hand.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 13, 14 8:00 am    Thieves Reply with quote

I hope they catch these fools. You wonder if they are only tweakers or are they other kiters amongst us? I get nervous with strangers milling around the parking lots at the kite beaches. Maybe we need to set up a sting?

Kiters Unite

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
483 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 13, 14 8:10 am     Reply with quote

reduce risk of getting your gear stolen:

don't advertise whats in your car ie bumper stickers etc.

tint windows DARK or cover your stuff with a blanket or bed sheet.

When loading/ unloading gear in the city you are probably being WATCHED. Be cognizant of where you do this.

I h8 thieves

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Jun 13, 14 8:16 am     Reply with quote

beech wrote:
reduce risk of getting your gear stolen:

don't advertise whats in your car ie bumper stickers etc.

tint windows DARK or cover your stuff with a blanket or bed sheet.

When loading/ unloading gear in the city you are probably being WATCHED. Be cognizant of where you do this.

I h8 thieves

These are really good tips of advice that are worth remembering!

www.Purestokesports.com

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 13, 14 9:15 am    Re: Thieves Reply with quote

Jonpnw wrote:
I hope they catch these fools. You wonder if they are only tweakers or are they other kiters amongst us? I get nervous with strangers milling around the parking lots at the kite beaches. Maybe we need to set up a sting?

Kiters Unite

does anyone have a wildlife camera they would be willing to set up at one of the lesser used kite sites?

milestro

Since 12 Jul 2012
8 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jun 13, 14 10:42 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Pepi.

Yes good advice. I have tinted windows already, not the super opaque ones though, just what came with the car which you can see through if you stick your head to the window. Thinking about an after market tinted window job now, the super dark stuff, maybe. There's always the windshield that you can't tint so it's not ideal.

No decals I avoided them specifically for that reason.

I try not to be too flashy about what kitesurfing gear I carry, but this was my car parked at home on my driveway, ready to go down to the gorge the next morning. I never expected to be robbed there we've had very little of that type of crime in my neighborhood until a few weeks ago.

Miles

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1257 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 14, 14 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

Be aware that tinting the windows too dark may attract cops, as there are laws as to how dark you can tint car windows (front vs back, etc). Great advice above though! I always cover equipment in my wagon with the tonneau cover and dark, plain beach towels. Also, avoid the old "key-on-the-wheel" trick - my friend at 3rd Ave in SF bolted a lock box to the back of his car, and I hang mine off my trailer hitch (and cover the keypad when I punch in the code).

Good luck - hoping for a full recovery for you!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 14, 14 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

I found Tonya's kite gear here in Tacoma on Craigslist. Hate to say this, but I was powerless to do anything helpful. We notified the Tacoma Police Dept who lamely took no action. I met with the seller, calmly photographed the suspect, and all the gear, and with that there was then zero doubt it was her gear. My only course would have been to pick up a killer deal on some prime LF new gear.

My local shitty PD has repeated this to me time and time again:
Always keep a photo file somewhere (cloud) of the items & serial numbers.
Always sharpie your name on any gear.

He (the Tacoma PD Liaison) actually told me about when once they caught a tweaker with a grocery cart filled with flat-screens and could not return them to their owners sans serial numbers.

I will be watching craigslist regardless. Bear in mind that often this hot stuff comes on the market 300 miles away in another location. My Naish kites were sold in Spokane on CL... I'm in Tacoma.
Good Luck, Sucks.

Last edited by wylieflyote on Sun Jun 15, 14 7:38 pm; edited 3 times in total

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jun 14, 14 7:53 pm     Reply with quote

A reminder to all to check with your insurance agent and get that homeowners/renters coverage. In some cases a nominal cost will cover all your gear if stolen from vehicle - no matter where it is parked.

A.K.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostSat Jun 14, 14 11:31 pm     Reply with quote

need to set up something like this

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKTdeXH0Iz0[/youtube]

soundwave

Since 02 Jul 2010
21 Posts
Astoria

PostSun Jun 15, 14 8:08 am     Reply with quote

I went with a buddy to get his stolen gear on craigslist. We inspected the gear and knew beyond a doubt it was my buddies gear so we chatted like we where goona buy then just picked up the gear threw it in the car and as the thief asked what we where doing we said we are stealing the gear back he stole from us and if he didnt like it call the police or try to stop us and we will call the police after the two of us hand you your ass and claim self defense.

Drove away without a fight, (partially dissapointed about that Twisted Evil )

Can't rely on police for everything. People need to get back to handling stuff themselves again and stop pretending to be powerless because that only makes you helpless.

The police cant help you unless they can make money off you and rank and file you into the system. gonna stop there before I get on my soap box about the united states of corrupt justice under the flag of the police state of intimidation and indoctrination.

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
483 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 15, 14 9:08 am     Reply with quote

If you find your stolen gear and are sure beyond reasonable doubt that its yours (ser nums, ID label) and you have a buddy to back you up, and get the thief to meet u in a public place you definitely have the upper hand. Best not to engage them in much talk they are liars and will do nothing but lie deny and evade.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 15, 14 9:34 am     Reply with quote

soundwave wrote:
I went with a buddy to get his stolen gear on craigslist. We inspected the gear and knew beyond a doubt it was my buddies gear so we chatted like we where goona buy then just picked up the gear threw it in the car and as the thief asked what we where doing we said we are stealing the gear back he stole from us and if he didnt like it call the police or try to stop us and we will call the police after the two of us hand you your ass and claim self defense.

Can't rely on police for everything. People need to get back to handling stuff themselves again and stop pretending to be powerless because that only makes you helpless.

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 15, 14 3:55 pm     Reply with quote

Cops are glorified meter maids that get to carry guns.

Last edited by quenyaistar on Mon Jun 16, 14 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jun 15, 14 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

soundwave wrote:

The police cant help you unless they can make money off you and rank and file you into the system. gonna stop there before I get on my soap box about the united states of corrupt justice under the flag of the police state of intimidation and indoctrination.

The following is purely fictional and should be taken as entertainment only. I am not proposing any action, only telling a story for purely entertainment purposes.

Completely on board with you and kudos! HOWEVER, be aware that such action can end up with you in jail for years. Remember OJ? Yes, that douche deserved it for sure. If you do this, have proof and only defend yourself. Put your stuff in your car, call the cops, and be prepared to defend yourself. DO NOT take offensive action.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: