Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Headed to Sayulita, MEX in Jan.... any advice?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostWed Nov 30, 11 9:10 am    Headed to Sayulita, MEX in Jan.... any advice? Reply with quote

Headed to Sayulita for 8 days Jan. 10-17th....

Hopefully get to surf a little or at least SUP, but wanted to check on the kite scene...

Any info?

Bring gear?

Maybe just one kite and rent a surf??

How about driving north or south to find better conditions..?
Sayulita looks a little protected, so I've heard Bucerias also....?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Nov 30, 11 9:23 am     Reply with quote

My sister's family has gone there the last couple of winters. They always seems to get lots of fun/easy type surf conditions....but last winter they all got super sick with Montezuma's so watch out!

J_Matic

Since 14 Oct 2011
158 Posts
InDaHo
Stoked

PostWed Nov 30, 11 9:35 am     Reply with quote

Sayulita is sick bro, def bring 1 kite (bigger - 12m maybe). Decent surfboard is like $4 a day to rent right on the beach. Beers and grub is super cheap too.

We hit Punto Burro, about an hour north and found great swell and wind but had no kites. Paddle surfed a pounding break but thought it would be perfect right peelers in calm conditions.

It's gorgeous and the party scene is pretty good too. Have fun!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1473 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 30, 11 9:49 am     Reply with quote

Sayulita is not known for wind (or kiting) - surf only.
Great beginner break right in front of the town square... also good for advanced surfing 100 yards down the beach if there's a swell.
Decent board rentals on the beach.
Great food in town all around the plaza square.
There's great mountain biking right from town (rental shop downtown).
Horseback riding is a great experience..... zip lines.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Nov 30, 11 10:49 am     Reply with quote

Fun surf town. AVOID the zipline.

Link

www.naishkites.com

Guido

Since 13 May 2008
101 Posts
PDX
Stoked

PostWed Nov 30, 11 11:03 am     Reply with quote

Rent a car. Last February we found much better surf south near Punta Mita.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostWed Nov 30, 11 11:13 am     Reply with quote

yeah, we are def getting some cars...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYYpg6Mi0fw
http://livepuntamita.com/2011/05/lets-go-fly-a-kite/

doesn't look epic, but its something..

thanks for the input....I'm heading there with a buddy who started a couple of surf camps back in the day, so he's go the surf covered....he's just not a kiter....yet.

-jake

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
537 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Nov 30, 11 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

I think it is a sweet place for surf. Went down for a bday a few years back and kind of relearned surfing in between hang overs. Lots of people living in the campground there, killer groms doing mctwistie shit in the sets. Slow paced place, fun pharmacy too as i recall.

We flew into PV. That place is cool, but an entirely different story. Was way more laid back than places like cabo and cancun, but still a mex resort town. They had these stands that looked like bloodie mary stands, but they added some mexican voodoo shit and dumped a corona in it while encouraging me to chug. Fixed the slow and pokey attitude right up. Wish they had those here.

Dewd, have good x's. Not to be forum nosey but I thought i read that you went to spain. Rock on, escape from under the dark cloud style bro

Matt E.

Since 22 May 2008
318 Posts
West Coast Sales Rep
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 30, 11 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

You may wan't to check out Nuevo Vallarta for Kiting, I believe it is less than an hour away and has some good kiting. I know very little about kiting there but have heard it can be pretty fun. Maybe someone can chime in with more info about kiting in Nuevo Vallarta?

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Nov 30, 11 4:42 pm     Reply with quote

buscerias is the best kiting spot... choppy. best time of year is the spring for wind not winter for sure.

spend your time surfing on punta de mita. forget sayulita, it's crowded and full of tourists.

alien

Since 01 Aug 2006
114 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostWed Nov 30, 11 11:41 pm     Reply with quote

Bucerias is your best bet for kiting in the area but if I were you I'd just leave the kites at home and just concentrate on the surfing. Sayulita has a nice mellow break (right and left) in the bay, but yes it can get really crowded with kooks and wave-hogging locals. There are more varied options off of Punta Mita and farther north up the coast. I don't think it's worth renting a car, you can take the bus from PV to Sayulita for $2 and then get cabs or boats to Punta Mita and other breaks, which I think will cost you less than renting a car for your stay, unless you plan on traveling to surf every day (it's the mandatory insurance tacked on to the car rentals that will kill you).

Sayulita is a great chill place to get away. Enjoy!

gswardman

Since 01 Dec 2011
1 Posts
United States

PostThu Dec 01, 11 8:41 am    Punta Mita Surfing/Wind in Bucerias Reply with quote

We found a great resource for finding deals in Punta Mita and Sayulita >> http://www.cuponismo.com - they also have some good info on surfing in Punta Mita at http://blog.cuponismo.com/travel/surfing-punta-mita.html and a blurb on Kiteboarding -

We were there for 12 months last year, and the wind is much better in Bucerias, with it picking up usually around noon to 14-20 knots. http://blog.cuponismo.com/travel/what-to-do-in-puerto-vallarta.html - The surf in Sayulita on the right is a good beginner wave, but as noted above it's usually more consistent on the Punta Mita side. In the winter however, when the swell switches around to the north, you can get better waves in Sayulita, since it's bay is facing north. The swell direction changes about December, so far they're still getting southern swells.

Hope that helps.

sirmichaelo

Since 26 Mar 2010
353 Posts
Maui
Obsessed

PostThu Dec 01, 11 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

I second the 'leave your kites at home'.

If you have extra room you can bring it I guess but sticking to winter surf and beers is generally the better way to go. Buscerias is a rich yacht area and has zero of the laid back Sayulita feel to it.

I also had some Montezuma's last time I was there. Bottled water is the no- brainier. It's the ice that gets ya.

I also agree with the $2 bus from PV to Sayulita. Seriously.

There's a salsa dance party every week in a bar on the beach. Do it.

Check out Papas Palapas. One of the best ways to be right in town AND on the beach without going broke. People walking down the beach were always looking up at our pimp pad and wishing they would have known about it before they booked their average place 4 blocks away from the ocean. We watched the main break all day from our balcony.

Dude, just bring a backpack on the plane, rent a board on the beach, and have a good time.

Skip the gringo shit.

Life is too short for second chances, although we do get many of them.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Dec 02, 11 8:21 am     Reply with quote

Thx yo's! Cool

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Dec 02, 11 8:36 am     Reply with quote

Chanson, before you leave lets get together. I can provide you a full "3rd world country gastric medical kit". I just got back from India, so I have everything you need.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 19, 13 9:42 am     Reply with quote

how did this turn out? I'm looking mid October and was wondering about wind. I heard the surf was pretty competitive, as in the locals are not nice about guests in the line up. any info?

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostWed Jun 19, 13 10:27 am     Reply with quote

Wind wasn't there, but we didn't really look too hard.
Just stayed in Sayulita on the beach.. fun waves, fun SUP waves, bro-tillas in the morning(taking sups and cases of beer past the break to get our hangover cure on)....

If you want a super fun boat trip look up Chicca Loca on the square, those dudes do it right!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: