Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rufus - Fishing Poles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon May 19, 14 2:24 pm    Rufus - Fishing Poles Reply with quote

A little Courtesy goes a long way!!!

When I kite at rufus I make a point to respectfully engage the fishermen (and fisherwomen).

Last weekend I had been yapping with a couple of the local Indian fishermen before I got a session. We just yapped about about how the fishing was. We must have built a rapport because later on, one of them informed me that a fellow kitesurfer had rudely (and loudly) made remarks about the fishing poles being in the way of the kitesurfers. This Indian fisherman informed me that all the guy needed to do was ask him to move his poles and he would have. In fact, he informed me of this while he was moving his poles out of the kitesurfing zone (which I thanked him for).

This Indian fisherman (I don't know his name) also informed me that the banks of Rufus have some sort of Tribal Access for fishing.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, and I honestly don't know what that means (or even if I said it right), but the way I look at it, he was being considerate in moving his fishing poles (which by the way is his livelihood), so the least we can do as kiteboarders is to be respectful.

I think a little respectful communication between kiters and fishermen at Rufus will likely lead towards a safer and more enjoyable outing for all of us.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon May 19, 14 3:27 pm     Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more. Most of the fishermen I've run into are pretty friendly and love to chat. It benefits the kite community to have a good relationship with these guys. Not only do we have to share space with them, but you never know when you might need to flag one down for help. I've also had my lost kiteboard retreived and returned to me by kind fishermen, who were reluctant to even accept a reward.

It's also nice to stop in Cascade Locks this time of year and buy some fresh spring chinook from the native american fisherman. Make sure to mention you're a kiteboarder!

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
558 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostMon May 19, 14 3:35 pm     Reply with quote

it goes for all aspects of life, if you are a dick you are unlikely to get what you are looking for.

FlyDunes

Since 09 Oct 2007
1034 Posts
Aloha
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 19, 14 4:47 pm     Reply with quote

Great topic!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue May 20, 14 5:14 am     Reply with quote

Thumb's Up

Snagglecarpus approved.png 

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostTue May 20, 14 7:22 am     Reply with quote

this goes for Sauvie Island as well.

If there are guys fishing on the shore, give them some space. Don't be the newbie body dragging right next to shore through their lines.

Or just because it is the evening, and there is 15 kiteboarders and one fisherman, try and run them off. If that guy showed up first, stay out of his way.

They are using a LOT less space than the people kiteboarding

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue May 20, 14 10:37 am    Informative Website Reply with quote

I came across the website for the Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission.

I found it to be informative and interesting. It includes an abundance of information regarding how/where to buy fish, how to tell if a fish is fresh, cooking information, Indian culture, fishing rights, and salmon conservation information.

Check out:

http://www.critfc.org/
http://www.critfc.org/harvest/

Last edited by bigjohn on Tue May 20, 14 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

TonyROD

Since 30 Apr 2014
22 Posts

PostTue May 20, 14 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

Good Topic

Thumb's Up

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue May 27, 14 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

I went to Rufus yesterday (May 26th). Not a single kiteboarder or windsurfer out. But appeared to be solid 10m conditions.

The entire place was taken over by fishermen - but they did not appear to be Native Americans.

It seemed like there weren't even that many fishermen there. One big RV parked in the most obnoxious way to take over as much space as possible. Bunch of fishing poles, not that many fishermen, and most of the poles did not have their lines in the water - they were just dangling there with the hooks - poles were spread out about five feet apart.

Plus there were three fishermen fishing in the pond on the far east of the rock pile.

So, was this the intentional action of a small group of fishermen trying to exclude wind enthusiasts?

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostTue May 27, 14 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

Moto wrote:
I went to Rufus yesterday (May 26th). Not a single kiteboarder or windsurfer out. But appeared to be solid 10m conditions.

The entire place was taken over by fishermen - but they did not appear to be Native Americans.

It seemed like there weren't even that many fishermen there. One big RV parked in the most obnoxious way to take over as much space as possible. Bunch of fishing poles, not that many fishermen, and most of the poles did not have their lines in the water - they were just dangling there with the hooks - poles were spread out about five feet apart.

Plus there were three fishermen fishing in the pond on the far east of the rock pile.

So, was this the intentional action of a small group of fishermen trying to exclude wind enthusiasts?

Was it that "12th man" RV? Dang cheater Seahawks trying to cheat people outta some wind too????? Wink

Halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Since 17 Feb 2012
47 Posts

PostTue May 27, 14 9:51 pm     Reply with quote

Let's just leave Jones out of this. Laughing

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu May 29, 14 7:52 am     Reply with quote

Blazeheliski wrote:

Was it that "12th man" RV? Dang cheater Seahawks trying to cheat people outta some wind too????? Wink

I really wasn't paying attention to which team this guy played for - but if I remember right it was the seahawks.

Jimbo

Since 16 Jul 2009
58 Posts
Seattle

PostThu May 29, 14 11:59 am     Reply with quote

I've been out at Rufus a lot in the last few weekends and there have been folks (Native American and others) fishing. They have all been really nice and there have been no conflicts as far as I know. I sense that they "get it" that we at least need that little sandy peninsula to launch and land and they have been good about moving away. So kudos to the fishermen.

The current really rips right there so if you dawdle in getting out once you get in the water you might drift into their fishing lines. I saw it happen a couple times last weekend and a friend of mine had a hook on her wetsuit during her session. After screaming at them to move their poles when she initially got snagged, she returned the hook and tackle and said sorry for yelling. They were nice about it.

We need to remember that the Native Americans have a treaty right to be there. Their ancestors were there about 15000 years before kiteboarding so a bit of respect for their fishing grounds goes a long way. Fishing there will be closed soon as I understand it and it is still only May. We have all summer to enjoy Rufus still.

All that said, when rolling out your kites and walking around watch out for fishhooks. I've picked up a few.

Be Stoked!!!

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
537 Posts

Addicted

PostThu May 29, 14 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Thumb's Up

looked for 'launch war smackdown' today from i think the o7 nwkite party. you still have that around somewhere?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: