Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sauvies today?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 06, 14 11:57 am    Sauvies today? Reply with quote

anyone heading to Sauvies today? starting to get too lazy to drive to Jones

FlyDunes

Since 09 Oct 2007
1034 Posts
Aloha
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 06, 14 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

I'll be out by early afternoon. Like pretty much every north-wind work day afternoon...

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Jun 06, 14 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

will be there

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 06, 14 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

I have a 14M and a strapless surfboard that I have no idea how to ride Smile .... you think that will cut it? don't want my first time to Sauvies to be a skunking

p.s I weigh 200lbs

FlyDunes

Since 09 Oct 2007
1034 Posts
Aloha
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 06, 14 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

jerp wrote:
I have a 14M and a strapless surfboard that I have no idea how to ride Smile .... you think that will cut it? don't want my first time to Sauvies to be a skunking

p.s I weigh 200lbs

How do you expect to be properly indoctrinated into kiting at SI if you don't want a skunking?

Last night was briefly 10M, followed by crap wind, followed by fan steady mellow 12m wind. The folks with 17M kites got the most time on water. The secret to not getting skunked at SI is to bring a quiver, wait for the wind, and not to expect good conditions to last for long on the days when they do appear. SI is a spot that's easy for west-side folks to get to after work. That's its most redeeming value.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 06, 14 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="FlyDunes"]
jerp wrote:

How do you expect to be properly indoctrinated into kiting at SI if you don't want a skunking?

I'm not sure I want to be indoctrinated yet Wink

I see your point thou, its averaging 14mph right now.

rhorton1

Since 25 Oct 2012
36 Posts
SoCal

PostFri Jun 06, 14 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

How beginner friendly is Sauvies? I've been getting my first rides out at Jones these past couple weeks, but am not to the point where I can stay upwind yet. The spots link mentions a good amount of beach to walk upwind, but I don't see any other mention of beginner friendly-ness. Is there room at Sauvies to do the walk of shame, or am I better sticking to Jones Beach at this point?

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Jun 06, 14 1:08 pm     Reply with quote

My personal opinion (which many will disagree with) is that, because of its lighter wind, smaller chop, long beach, and deeper water (no shallows), Sauvie is one of the best places to learn. I learn all my new tricks there when, with most other places, I find myself just trying to survive...However, before you come to Sauvie, you have should have very good kite control on land because, while long, the beach is narrow and sometimes very crowded (will be in July / August). The last thing we want is to land a kite on somebody... However, it is super easy to body drag away from the shoreline a bit and learn there... Also, if you haven't mastered staying upwind yet, you may want to walk your kite a few hundred (or at least one hundred) yards upwind from where most other kiters are. Usually there are also much fewer people on that northern side of the beach...And if you are into that, you can walk a few more hundred yards more and kite in the nude, as clothing is optional there.

dusty_bottoms

Since 20 Sep 2012
48 Posts
Earth

PostFri Jun 06, 14 9:24 pm    Sauvies Reply with quote

Sauvies was awesome today. 12m and a skim till it got dark, but it was still blowing...

KCM

Since 30 Jun 2013
53 Posts
Woodland WA.

PostSat Jun 07, 14 7:25 am     Reply with quote

Agree with Serge....very beginner friendly, and there are some very good kiters that are happy to help and share knowledge! I am always getting great advise from the guys/gals and know that if I get in trouble, they are there to help. I have not experienced the walk of "shame" even though I have done my fare share. Also, most of the SI crew is willing to share boards if you can't make the strapless work.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jun 07, 14 9:54 am     Reply with quote

ended up hitting Jones in the end....sounds like I could have scored at Sauvies. might cruise on down there tomorrow with a six pack in case it doesn't go.

rhorton1

Since 25 Oct 2012
36 Posts
SoCal

PostSat Jun 07, 14 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

Work got in the way yesterday afternoon and I wasn't able to make it out... but I appreciate the tips. Hope to get out there soon!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: