Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

rigging and launching with little room
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
henjj

Since 09 Dec 2010
25 Posts
Spokane

PostFri Apr 13, 12 9:26 am    rigging and launching with little room Reply with quote

I live in Iowa and one of the lakes I ride on is surrounded by trees up to the shoreline. Its always a headache to rig my kite and then clumsily walk it through one of the few openings in the trees, float it out, and then launch it. I was looking on line and saw this product: http://kitelauncher.com/about/turbolauncher/. Before I purchase one, I wanted to check to see if anyone has used one and if it worked well. Also, any other ideas out there on how to rig and launch in a tight area besides using something like this little gizmo?

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Apr 13, 12 10:43 am     Reply with quote

These have worked pretty good over the years, but you do want to screw them down very deep in the ground firmly and it is good to have a second one leashed in as a back up just in case. Must be solid ground for anchoring.

The longer the better. At least 18-20" long.
[url]
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=dog+spiral+stake[/url]

www.Purestokesports.com

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 13, 12 11:48 am     Reply with quote

There are several different ways to skin that cat. I have not used one of those gizmo's myself, but they look confusing and kinda cheesy. One of the best ways to rig up in a tight spot, is to get everything rigged up in an open area, making sure everything is correct, and then carefully wind your lines up without crossing anything up. Then transport your stuff to the launch area, have someone hold your kite at the edge of the window while you unwind your lines, making sure they are correct, and then launch as you normally would. If that's not an option (swimming, no partner). Then I would still lay your lines out and connect the kite in an open area, wind lines carefully. Get to your spot, unwind lines carefully (weigh down kite), anchor your chicken loop to something like Pepi is suggesting or a tree that is free from snags. Then walk or swim your kite out to the edge of the window where your kite is full (not flapping) and then quickly get back to your kite, hook up your safety, hook up your chicken loop and launch. That method seems to work pretty good at some of the tighter spots we have here in the Gorge.
My 2c

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostFri Apr 13, 12 4:01 pm     Reply with quote

I have heard stories of those getting pulled out of the ground. I suppose if the wind is not too strong or the ground is super solid - they probably work fine. I use a car tow strap myself. I hook one end to a tree and the other end to my chicken loop. I walk the kite out to the edge of the window and walk back to the chicken loop. Hook in and launch. The tow cable is about 8 feet long to get me away from the trees good enough and the hooks have spring loaded clips so that the chicken loop wont slip off.

Wanna-Go

Since 14 Sep 2009
95 Posts
Central, Wa

PostFri Apr 13, 12 10:13 pm     Reply with quote

I have used a horse stake in the ground but it has no handle. I have also used rope or a cable around trees. If I was looking for something to put in the ground I would maybe try this kite anchor but I have not used it but it looks identical to my horse stake but with a handle and a clasp.

http://kiteanchor.com/

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostFri Apr 13, 12 10:34 pm    Re: rigging and launching with little room Reply with quote

henjj wrote:
I live in Iowa and one of the lakes I ride on is surrounded by trees up to the shoreline. Its always a headache to rig my kite and then clumsily walk it through one of the few openings in the trees, float it out, and then launch it. I was looking on line and saw this product: http://kitelauncher.com/about/turbolauncher/. Before I purchase one, I wanted to check to see if anyone has used one and if it worked well. Also, any other ideas out there on how to rig and launch in a tight area besides using something like this little gizmo?

Here are some videos of how they work if you haven't seen them........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKOUd8lsGMo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ6zSxyDCiI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQw6YWJ6oGg&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL00A4D0D35AAC0420

dancingwind

Since 18 Jul 2007
321 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Apr 14, 12 12:37 am     Reply with quote

Don't have experience with launching from a boat. But have been using an anchor tool similar to this one for years when launching/landing solo in tight spots or nuclear winds around the Gorge. Concept is simple, portable secure anchor when launch/kite buddy is missing in action!!

http://www.kiteanchor.com/

mschulz

Since 29 May 2007
530 Posts
Reno, NV
Addicted

PostSat Apr 14, 12 6:30 am     Reply with quote

I use this: http://www.furrypharm.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1090

I screw it in as far as it can go with a 6' rope and quick connect to it. I have only used it in sand when no one is around but holds tight if I go all the way down to the link. I do how ever worry it may be pulled out so I do not use it when the wind is over 20mph. Usually at my beach if the wind is +20, I do not have to worry if there will be people to launch and land.

PS make sure it is bright so beach goers see it and do not trip on it.

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Apr 14, 12 3:57 pm     Reply with quote

In regards to the "turbo-launcher" thing... weird site... no pricing, just an on-line form to fill out with your personal info... searched around on YouTube and found some videos, but they seem to only show how to wrap the lines... not a clear, crisp video of someone actually using one for a real launch, but maybe I just haven't found it yet? What I wondered though with the concept, is aren't you just letting the kite drift in the wind and praying to the turbo-launcher-gods that the lines don't snag or tangle in the process because if they did you would not be able to depower the kite? Just seems like a "it has to work absolutely flawlessly or yer dead" system... anyone know or used one? Seems like a safe, reliable, self-launching system might be the holy grail for the kite industry. Currently I self-launch using the Youkai method... launch & kite session = a good self-launch. Wake up in the hospital = there were issues with the self-launch....

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostSat Apr 14, 12 5:02 pm     Reply with quote

I like to pretend that this was the whole sentence Cool
F-One NW wrote:
Get to your spot, unwind lines carefully (weigh down kite), anchor your chicken loop to something like Pepi

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4207 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Apr 14, 12 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

Google "mobile home anchor". get anchors like the one in the OP for 7 to 10 bucks. One for the chicken loop, one for the safety. Depending on the beach, mark 'em well and leave 'em there.

http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=503103&Category_Code=ANC

http://www.mobilehomedepotmi.com/parts_pages/anchors.htm

http://www.randgsupply.com/Warehouse/SetUp/anchors.htm#SoilAnchors

WAY superior to the corkscrew style ones, and cheaper too.

henjj

Since 09 Dec 2010
25 Posts
Spokane

PostSun Apr 15, 12 9:21 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replys! The wind here is a bit much for me today (gusts up to 60 mph). Tomorrow looks pretty good wind wise so I'm going to try and use the stake / anchor method. I'll let you know how it goes!

jackZ

Since 13 Apr 2008
355 Posts
Devon Alberta ca.
Obsessed

PostSun Apr 15, 12 11:17 am    tight areas Reply with quote

Hi ,
Another similar scenario ,
One of the lakes we use here has an issue getting on the water as well .
The waters edge has private cabins , trees grow up to the edge , weeds and bullrushes on the water side and the small beach is public so , I make sure the lines have been wrapped properly , load all the gear into my boat and anchor it , with two anchors in the shallows just off shore . I can wade in the water laying out lines and attach the kite as the last step ,(on my first attempt at this) let it drift away and launch like any water relaunch . I didn't like the fact that the lines were floating around all over with the water movement and a chance of a tangle so do not do that anymore . Hook up the chicken loop to the boat , I lay the lines out attach them to the kite and walk the kite out to tension the lines and leave it sit on the water at the edge of the window . Even if it falls leading edge down while I wade back to the boat ,so what , same as relaunch after you hook in.
I have the bow facing incoming waves so no problem leaving the boat while kiting .
For landing , I kite to the boat and attach the kite to the boat with the chicken loop and kite at the edge of the window on the water , walk to the kite , flip it over and start breaking things down .

JackZ

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostSun Apr 15, 12 12:45 pm    Re: rigging and launching with little room Reply with quote

henjj wrote:

The turbolauncher was invented in the old days of the "C" kite, and worked pretty good for drift launching those kites... you could still get a kitemare if you were careless. I think in the modern days of the 'mini-fifth' line safety, that the turbolaucher would be even better. You would simply engage the safety release, BEFORE winding up the lines, on the device, so that when the kite drifted out, the 2 front lines would be about 10 feet shorter than the 2 back lines, and the kite would therefore always be on its safety. You would set the kite down in the water with the leading edge down and facing the kiter, and then, let the kite drift out. The lines would feed smoothy and evenly off the device... that was the outstanding character of the "turbolauncher" and still is the most important facet of any drift launch.

I do a lot of drift launching by unwinding my lines from my bar...but, I use a home-made bar that minimizes the chance of anything snagging the lines, as they feed out. I still have to be careful, as you will always have to be, if you do any kind of drift launch.

Go on Kiteforum.com and do a search for Kitezilla and Drift launch, if you want to know more about drift launching. I am working on a project right know that may result in a method of swimming the kite out and then, driftlaunching, while swimming. It would be a great way to get out of Home Valley, on east wind days.

henjj

Since 09 Dec 2010
25 Posts
Spokane

PostMon Apr 16, 12 6:24 pm     Reply with quote

Ok, I tried the anchor thing out today and it worked pretty well. I took some pictures to try and show what I did. As stated before, trees or bull-reeds surround the whole lake up to the water. The first picture shows what I'm talking about with the trees surrounding the lake. The water was shallow where I set up today (about 1 foot), so I walked down wind and planted one of the earth anchors in the the ground in the shallow water and attached a boat bumper to it. I pumped my kite up in the shallowest part of the water (its a couple of inches deep next to the bull-reeds) and then attached it to the buoy. Then I planted another earth anchor about 20 meters from the kite in the water. I unwound my lines from the kite to the anchor and I attached my chicken loop to this anchor. I then walked out my lines and attached them to the kite. I unhooked the kite from the buoy in the water walked it to the edge of the window and set it in a ready to launch position. I walked back to the anchor where my chicken loop was attached, hooked in and launched for my session. The anchors I got were from a building supply store and were $6. Hope this might help someone in the future. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Twin Lakes (south)1.jpg 
   Twin Lakes (south)2.jpg 
   Twin Lakes (south)3.jpg 

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 16, 12 7:50 pm     Reply with quote

Nice! Picture says a thousand words. Thanks for posting that. Your spot looks Awesome too, by the way.

Wanna-Go

Since 14 Sep 2009
95 Posts
Central, Wa

PostTue Apr 17, 12 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

You got the exact anchor I have. Alot cheaper than $50, I did buy a smaller one I use to put through the hole as a handle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: