Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

nelscott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri Mar 25, 11 8:15 am    nelscott Reply with quote

So has any of the northwests finest kiters had their way with the Nelscott face yet.

Losing my interest in kiting a bit and it seems like a possible new endevor.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Mar 25, 11 9:06 am     Reply with quote

Haven't timed Nelscott yet, still on the list.

You can always add higher level of difficulty to yoru tricks to keep the interest level up!

For Example: Have a Beer in The Barrel

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Mar 25, 11 9:47 am     Reply with quote

just towing in (got some nice 3x drops in Jan - this day was the smallest it starts to break)

lot of stars have to align for kiting - i bet Tim & Ben have been out there
www.oregonsurfshop.com

nelscott1.JPG 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1213 Posts
Portland
BRACKISH

PostFri Mar 25, 11 9:53 pm     Reply with quote

I think it has to be a southerly. Perfect SSE with steady winds and big period swell and ski support and... keep dreamin! Come to think of it, I haven't really seen a kitesurfer kite big waves that looks that spectacular anyway. If someone says they just want to do it because... fine but there are better ways to get deep and challenge it. Vids and shots of kiters at Jaws, Chop, Mavs but always looks like they're shoulder soldiers. Not like tow or windsurfing where you can get deep. the perfect side offshore stuff in the south pacific looks legit for sizable surf too. Shredding waves on a kite stops around 10-15' faces maybe IMO but know that it is probably just around the corner. All this naysaying has to fuel some of you pussies!!

Some of the best larger wave power kitesurfing I've seen is Mulcoy in Soul Fly at Scotts. Old DVD but those are really good turns. If I can kite waves like that as good as him, I'd die happy.

buttersmoothcarver

Since 08 Oct 2008
246 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Mar 26, 11 9:29 pm    Nelscott someday. Reply with quote

Definitely, not claiming it without any photos, however Mike Haase and I got real "close" while doing a DWer from Roads End last summer. The past four years I've watch the tow contests and have a pretty good idea where it breaks (both the south and north breaks). That day I wasn't even thinking about it, because normally it's got to be atleast 15' SW swell for it to even bump. However, that day it was like 12' with a few bombs here and there. Half our crew had carnage mid way down, Mike and I continued down to SB, from D River we saw 1/2 mile downwind , these huge white wash zones 1/4 mile out. We both look at each other and yelled "Nelscott". Just then another set rolled, and it broke again, however not nearly as big and clean like true "tow in contest" form. To say the least it was exciting to be out there randomly and to see it from a few hundred yards. Once we got out there the white wash was still all around, we tried to tack back up wind for the next set, but I was underpower and couldn't hold my ground any more. We both got some small rides by when we weren't technical on Nelscott at that point. IMO it would be super rare, but if forecast had massive SW swell, with high pressure switching NW winds all within 24 hrs. I think somebody will get it someday. Just be carefully not out run your kite dropping a bomb like that, it would make for a long scary self rescue if you had a kitemare out there. Props to Gman and crew for buying a ski and getting out there....looks like so much fun when it goes.

Brad Gordon

Thermal Foundation
www.snowkiteadventures.com
text 2063000450

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1213 Posts
Portland
BRACKISH

PostMon Mar 28, 11 7:04 am     Reply with quote

Nice Brad. That would definitely get the heart pumping to be out there and see it busting! If it all comes together some day, I'll bet there would be a PWC or two willing to spot.

Oregon Surf Shop Tim

Since 04 Feb 2008
70 Posts
Lincoln City Oregon

PostMon Mar 28, 11 8:05 am     Reply with quote

Ok Gotta chime in on this one. Definitely have spent time thinking about this topic , It ( The Reef ) is right behind our shop and It has offered up some of the most memorable moments in my life over the last 5 or 6 years. We have poked at it Kiting, There was a day that was in the 14ft 15second interval range that had NW wind and we made a run at it with ski support. Never put myself in the bowl, just tracked some in on the shoulder trying to get a feel for it . Wind was pretty fluky and I had purposefully come in to it from the downwind side and was going to work my way deeper in to the wave but never could work my way up wind enough to be in the position to nab one that I felt was legit.

I gotta say I think Barfly pretty much hit it straight on. I don't think Kites are the best vehicle of choice for riding truly big waves. I think you could streak down a 25' + face at Nelscott and get a cool photo. But then what ? You are not gonna lay it on rail and go down the line , down wind, cause you are going to run straight out from under your kite. You could try to go left but then I don't think you are gonna be able to keep up with the wave an it is going to catch you from behind. That leaves you going straight and negotiating the Liquid Mogul field out in the flats that the wave in front of you left behind.

With all that said, the right day could still be worth a try, my only words of wisdom would be don't underestimate the wave. Looking forward to sharing a tow session out there with you Gman!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: