Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

My Trusty Rusty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostTue May 09, 06 4:11 pm    My Trusty Rusty Reply with quote

I've been riding this Rusty 6-1 in the surf lately. It's a Surftech TufL:ite. It's developed some heel dents from edging hard going out but it's not soft. I've ridden it strapless but the straps are great if you're a little more powered. Straps let you get more aggressive and not worry as much about chasing your board all the way to the beach. I set it up with a wide 30" stance which feels like I'm on the right part of the board when riding the wave. I often take my back foot out and put it just ahead of the strap when it's a little lighter or I want to float on the wave face. Feels good going down the line with both feet in the straps too.

-Hein

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostTue May 09, 06 5:58 pm     Reply with quote

Cool, where've you been riding?

How does the kite size you use with this board compare with a standard twin tip? I just got a 5-11 SRT, which I'm looking forward to using during the lighter days. Debating whether to keep trying it with straps or just go without.

Waiting for the surf to mellow out a bit before I really start working on it. It was a gnarly 10-foot today, with gusty 9-meter wind. Springtime!

Steve

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostTue May 09, 06 6:27 pm     Reply with quote

I'm in Texas where the surf mostly small and chunky. But on a given
downwinder you'll find a 1/2 dozen good sized waves that you can ride
for a long way. It's so easy to cruise on the outside and watch for a
bigger set. Then chase it down and ride it all the way to the beach.

I've been using an 11 on a pulley bar and short lines but I think it would
be real fun in higher winds with a small kite as long as the waves were
pretty clean. I'd be riding my single to double concave 139x42 in similar conditions.

-Hein

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostWed May 10, 06 8:10 am     Reply with quote

hey hein,

didn't i see a photo that you posted last year about some surfboards that you were making? it was a photo of a stack of what looked like polyester boards against a wooden rack.

how come you are riding this rusty when you shape boards? not offense intended, i am just curious since it has your logo on it.

kt

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostWed May 10, 06 9:25 am     Reply with quote

It was kind of an impulse buy and I had another Al Merrick Tuflite to trade in on it. Everyone is riding regular surfboards here in Texas and I wanted to give it a try - and it definately works. Many guys are adding inserts so they can go with or without straps. I liked the outline/rocker of the Rusty so I went for it. I'll probably try to design and build something similar when I get back. I have designed and CNC shaped surfboards for myself and some of the local surfboard makers.

Another reason I bought it was to test out some stick-on pads that have built-in inserts for foot straps. I designed a thin plastic plate that has 3 positions with threaded inserts. The plate is imbedded in the pad and stuck to the board with some super strong peel and stick adhesive mounting tape. (60lbs/sq in tensile strength) The pad itself adheres with regular peel and stick. I actually had to move the front pad forward and I was able to remove it and re-apply it without damaging the board. A front pad and rear pad with kick tail be available from NSI . Wyatt sent out some prototypes that are being used successfully on tow-in boards.

I got my wish today and rode the Rusty lit with a 7 and 9m - until it ramped up to 40+! The surf was small and blown out so I only got a few good wave rides. If the wind is steady you can motor upwind like crazy. I think having the wide stance helps keep the board under control.

Hope that answers your questions.

-Hein

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 10, 06 11:47 am     Reply with quote

Nice board Hein!!

Rusty makes great boards. ~D

You putting down like this?:

(Waiman, Vari & James)

Martin-Deep.sm.jpg 
   Surf.jpg 
   Lou W.jpg 

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostWed May 10, 06 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

I'm sure the pros make it look better than I can but the wind
did stabilize this afternoon and I got in a long downwinder
on Rusty and a 9m - unhooked on the wave everytime!

And if I may be so bold as to borrow a term to describe it:

Schweeeeet!

A bunch of surfboards sure make for a snug fit in the cab.
BBs gonna have to get some roof racks.

-Hein

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: