Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Speed wobbles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 08, 06 11:20 am    Speed wobbles Reply with quote

Got em yesterday at Sunset Beach! first time on the landboard, or any kite related board for that matter. if you haven't done this and have plans for the future, rig smaller than you would for water. 13m fuel in ~11 - 14mph wind was too much on the downwind legs. i had to keep the kite way up at the top of the window and could only do a very small sine wave thingy, which is not easy to do at the top of the window as you get luffing. i dipped it a bit too deep once and was immediately hauling ass, speed wobbles ensued and had to jump off and slid on knee a bit. no biggy but knee pads would have made it a non-event. also, don't rinse board off in shower if the GF just cleaned bathroom, you will be in doghouse for sure. Embarassed Laughing

p.s. low tide and side-on allowed me to go up and down beach as far as i wanted. i only did ~ .5 mile legs so i could watch my car. but Jim dude on buggy went from the river north of seaside to south jetty and back.

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostMon May 08, 06 6:30 pm    speed wobble woes... Reply with quote

What kind of landboard do you have? If it's an MBS, they make different levels of "eggs" that go inside the springs on the trucks to stiffen them up and reduce speed wobble. When I still landboarded on the coast back in the day I got a set of those and it took care of the problem.

You'll also find that as you get out there more you'll get more comfortable with a bigger kite. Landboards carry a lot more of your momentum than kiteboards and you just have to learn how to stomp the kite to the edge of the window before you hit that "oh shit" point. Once you get going, point HARD upwind to control speed.

Oh, and you're right, definitely get some shin/knee and elbow pads. They not only help for hitting the deck, but accidently hitting your board too.

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 08, 06 6:57 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks NateD for the info! I'm not sure what kind of board, i think maybe a generic one. got it on ebay for $85. it has similar dimensions to most of the other $300 boards on the market though. i will tighten trucks next time and then consider new 'egg/bushing' things. i will definately wear pads next time too, tackling the board almost happened a couple times and i can image it would not be fun. that shit was a riot though, i want more! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: