Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite Trip to Oregon.... from Flordia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostMon May 01, 06 11:08 am    Kite Trip to Oregon.... from Flordia Reply with quote

Hey Hey Hey..

Was wondering if I could get some advice...

Heading from St. Petersburg, Florida for a couple week vacation to Portland at the end of June / beginning of July. Was looking to know what to bring w/ me.

My family lives about 30 miles from Hood River.. hoping to catch a number of days out there. Never kited that area before.

Myself and the guy thats coming along weigh 190 and 215 lbs.. thought a 9 and 12 bow kite quiver would suit us fine. Not sure if we might need to pack a 7m as well. Any suggestions?

Regarding boards.. any place in the area rent board per day / week?

Would like to travel as light as possible .. but if we need to, we can bring our entire rigs.

Wet suits: full or spring? or both to be sure?

Thanks so much!

Probably be asking more questions as the trip gets closer.

-Bryan

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon May 01, 06 11:55 am     Reply with quote

Hey! As always, I'm probably not the best person to give advice, but I'll do what I can... First off, around that time of year you should be just fine with your 9 and 12m bows. There's always those days when you're going to need more kite, but in general those 2 should be about perfect for the mid to upper wind range (it'd be nice if you both had a couple kites though). I'm ~140lbs and use my Fuel 7 (comfortably - most of the time) out there when it really starts cranking (30kts+), so I really don't think you'd need yours. Figure the wind range could be anywhere from ~20-35.

For wetsuits, it's hard to say for this year. Most of the time the water is getting fairly warm (to the point that I just wear boardshorts) around late June to July, but due to this year's huge snowpack, the rivers may stay cooler for longer... If you've got the room, I'd say pack both suits.

That's about all that I can give input on, but I'm sure others will chime in soon with better info! Very Happy

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostMon May 01, 06 1:24 pm     Reply with quote

You should be ok with those kites and a big board (Glide) for the lighter days. I am 215 lbs and can ride my 9 bow up to 40 knots and my 12 down to 12 or so with a big board. Thumb's Up

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostMon May 01, 06 1:32 pm     Reply with quote

Not sure when you are headed out here: Water temp right now is 51 degrees, so a full wetsuit, 4/3, booties, possible hoodie, and gloves.

Gives you an up to date water temp:
http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/ftppub/water_quality/bon.txt

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue May 02, 06 2:10 am     Reply with quote

Bryan,

All you need are a shorty, a 9m, 12m bow kite (maybe a 7m but only if you're going for more than a week ), and a 130ish board ( easier to carry than rent ).

That's what I'm bringin', maybe we'll see ya there!

BigR

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue May 02, 06 6:25 am     Reply with quote

If you guys want to go out to the oregon coast (1.5 hrs from P-town), and you should, you will need a full wetsuit unless you want to freeze your tits off!

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue May 02, 06 7:29 am     Reply with quote

Correction, a shorty if you stay in the Hood river area and at least a 4/3 full if you hit the coast!

I'm gonna hit both this summer so the rubber is packed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: