Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sunday at Stevenson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSun Apr 30, 06 7:18 pm    Sunday at Stevenson Reply with quote

Well, got my first ride in at Stevenson. The wind was pretty nice, spent a couple hours fully powered on my 12m TD. All was going well until I jumped and swung under the kite, the wind died a bit, and the kite started to hindenburg. Not sure what happened next, but I believe the kite inverted and snapped a piece of the bridle my front line was attached to. Shocked

So at first I didn't realize the line had broken, so I was just pulling on a rear line to sort the kite out when I saw the snapped line start trailing behind me, and the kite flapping all over. At this point things went from bad to worse. Confused I ejected the chicken loop becuase I had the safety leash to the front line, but it was all tangled up and I believe the line that snapped was the line I was attached to. So now instead of having a kite flying depowered from the front line, I was attached to a mess of kite lines, and couldnt work my way up the line to the kite. Evil or Very Mad

At this point I decided to realease the safety on my leash and totally detach myself from the kite, except the line that had snapped had managed to wrap around my ankle super tight, not a good position to be in. I tried to reach my safety knife to cut myself from the lines, but was having a hard time reaching it in the super cold water. Thankfully another kiter, Kurt, at this point had ridden up and i was able to grab his knife and cut myself free.

Then another kiter, Brad, grabbed my board, and gave me a tow most of the way in to shore, and then took my board in. I happened to get a tow from a windsurfer, John, the rest of the way.

Then Phil was nice enough to ride down and grab my kite. So all in all I was a very lucky kiter today all things considered, and HUGE thanks to everyone for helping me out. One lesson learned here, make sure that you can easily grab your knife if you are in a situation like that. I was cold and my knife in my impact vest was too hard for me to reach while being dragged from the kite.

Anyway here are some pictures of the day.

Uh oh, this does not look good.
 Uh oh, this does not look good.  Jim Kitemare Stevenson.jpg 
Before all my "fun" began.
 Before all my "fun" began.  Jim Stevenson.jpg 
   Phil Stevenson2.jpg 
   Phil Stevenson.jpg 
Showing off after saving my kite :)
 Showing off after saving my kite :)  Phil Railey Stevenson.jpg 
Kurt the knife man :)
 Kurt the knife man :)  Kurt Stevenson.jpg 
Jodi getting chased by the boys :)
 Jodi getting chased by the boys :)  Jodi Stevenson.jpg 

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostSun Apr 30, 06 8:30 pm     Reply with quote

Glad all worked out ok. It was tough to tell what happened from shore. The important thing is that no major personal harm was done. I was wiped from trying to swim with your kite in the current. Kudos to Kurt/Phil/John/Brad for making the saves. Thumb's Up

Tom Jumpzz.JPG 
dax twists one up..
 dax twists one up..  gettin twisty.JPG 
Toby descends from above..
 Toby descends from above..  Toby.JPG 

littlegus

Since 08 Jul 2005
29 Posts
La Jungla

PostSun Apr 30, 06 10:33 pm     Reply with quote

Nice to know there is an awesome group of people who are watching out for each other. Cool This definitely helps to improve the safety of the sport.

On a side note, I've talked to quite a few people who are interested in learning kiteboarding.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Apr 30, 06 11:42 pm     Reply with quote

Awesome pics guys! Thumb's Up

Sweet seein' everyone out enjoying the nice weather and wind!

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 01, 06 12:27 am     Reply with quote

siiick

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostMon May 01, 06 2:16 am     Reply with quote

funny...weren't we just talking about "gettin' each others back" on another thread. that pretty much epitomizes it to a tee amd takes it to another level.

i think if i were in your situation i would have been cleaning my shorts out after. nice poise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: