Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

R&D - Jones Beach Tuesday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostTue Apr 25, 06 11:45 pm    R&D - Jones Beach Tuesday Reply with quote

So... I'm driving home thinking I'll get to bed early tonight. badda bing, badda boom! nxt thing I know I'm pumping up. Windy past sundown. Phil you're a bad influence! Very Happy

rollo jones hop.JPG 
   dax jones 1.JPG 
   rollo jones 6.JPG 
   dax jones 3.JPG 
   rollo jones 2.JPG 
   dax jones 4.JPG 
   dax 360 jones.JPG 
   dax jones gettin plowed.JPG 
   dax opens up - jones.JPG 
   jones.JPG 

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostWed Apr 26, 06 12:15 am     Reply with quote

great shots rollo and PKH...way to keep the spirit alive this year!!! I'll catch you on the water the week of May 8th as "I'm leaving....on a jet plane...."

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Apr 26, 06 6:32 am     Reply with quote

Jones always seems like an exceptionally long drive for some reason, but its not too bad. In 4:30pm traffic it took a little over an hour to get there from the St. Johns bridge.

Getting back we took Longview to I-5 which is supposed to be faster (obviously traffic would be a big factor.) Took about an hour.

I was on the 9m Tom on his 12m (which at first I was suprised he could hold down.) The wind had backed off a bit by the time we were leaving at sunset, but it was still probably in the high teens - low twenties.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Apr 26, 06 8:08 am     Reply with quote

Sweet! Looks like a pretty cool place to ride. Thumb's Up

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Apr 26, 06 8:12 am     Reply with quote

[quote="pkh"]Jones always seems like an exceptionally long drive for some reason, but its not too bad. In 4:30pm traffic it took a little over an hour to get there from the St. Johns bridge.

Nice works gentlemen. anyone else out? It wasn't "too bad" or too long of a drive because u guys pimped it/scored/got some. . . Tis the time of yr to take advantage of afternoon/evening hrs.

Personally I don't care for the drive to Jones, but I love driving up to the water and setting up and all that open space. . . Oh yeah all those two stroke fumes; who needs beer. Razz

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 26, 06 8:47 am     Reply with quote

It looks like all the dredging equipment is out of the water from your pics - or has it just moved downriver? Looks like some good ridin -C

J-dizzle

Since 25 Apr 2006
34 Posts
kALAMA, WA

PostWed Apr 26, 06 10:43 am    ? Reply with quote

I have lived in longview all my life and i know where Jones beach is from looking at it on the WA side! but how do you get there from the oregon side is it right in Westport OR ????

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 26, 06 11:11 am     Reply with quote

there is a sign on hwy 30. the brown one with the windsurfer, it might even say jones beach. only been there once to check out on the way back from astoria... big beach lots of room

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostWed Apr 26, 06 11:20 am     Reply with quote

the washington side has a lot more wind and flat water up by the island. In my windsurfing days it was refered to as 'nuclear alley'.

the beach is very small and nearly gone at high tide and there is a slight wind shadow at the launch when its light.

the water conditions are way better then Jones but getting on the water may be a problem. anybody ever kited from the Wash side?

There are some houses down the beach with some great sandy beaches, dont know if they would like kiters walking through their property to get some water time.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Apr 26, 06 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
the water conditions are way better then Jones but getting on the water may be a problem. anybody ever kited from the Wash side?

I was about 20 feet from it yesterday on the water, the wind got a little weird close to the beach, but not so bad you couldn't launch. Didn't look like much room at all.

You are right about the water conditions over there... killer flat water/shallow spot on the northwest side of the western island. Takes awhile to get up there, but well worth it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: