Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

East Winds lookin good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostSun Apr 23, 06 10:53 am    East Winds lookin good. Reply with quote

Just got back from the river. Vineto to the Locks looks really nice becoming stronger as you enter Stevenson. Should be 9 or 11 day. Sunny crisp and warm. So get you ass out there! It is getting pretty strong as the day moves on.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Apr 23, 06 11:24 am     Reply with quote

Anyone want to do the Home Valley -> Stevenson downwinder?

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostSun Apr 23, 06 11:29 am     Reply with quote

I'll be there at 1:00 at the beach in Home Valley. There should be crew of about 3 or 4. Should kick ass. See you out there...

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSun Apr 23, 06 4:06 pm     Reply with quote

So who got out today? Tom, Chris and I were at ROoster, but the launch and winds looked a bit sketch so we hit the airport. Saw a couple other fooks out there. Its a pretty nice launch area, but man the current was super strong today, staying upwind was definitely a challenge.

tom&jim.jpg 
   td1.jpg 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Apr 23, 06 4:16 pm     Reply with quote

I did a downwinder from The Dalles to White Salmon, pretty fast one like 65mph. Wink

Super bummed I haven't been out since Friday, especially ashamed of pulling the "working on the house" excuse as that is the oldest and most tired excuse there is.

At least I have a refrigerator now.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostSun Apr 23, 06 7:08 pm     Reply with quote

Thumb's Up
pkh wrote:
At least I have a refrigerator now.
Thumb's Up

Drunk I’ll bring the beer!! Drunk

I hear ya pkh. My knuckles are covered in “Acorn” color paint from this weekends projects...

Thankfully I grabbed a couple SI sessions.

Hope to break out of the house projects & see your new place soon.

Still got those smaller appliances for you & BB.

See ya soon, Dano

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Apr 23, 06 7:15 pm     Reply with quote

Last man standing at Home Valley. (around 2PM).

Rolled in just as two bros were getting ready to head-off on a downwinder. Waded out, wrestled kites. lines, all kinds of snaggy shit, swirly stupid windshadow and gots them on there way.

Grabbed my gear, pumped up quick - figured I'd catch up with these guys.
Sorted my lines, rolled them back-up, grabbed the kite and waded out - figuring I will self launch off the rocky point. No problemo. Piled a bunch of slimy rocks and piled them high on my 11m, carefully unrolled my lines, put a little pressure to double check all is in order - this is gonna be textbook.

Before I get a chance to pull the trigger - the wind swirls - rocks flyoff - kite spins around a couple times - mofo - back to the drawing board.

Sort out the mess - gesture wildly to better half to wade out a give me a launch - no its not cold - the water is supposed to be that color - slime, I don't feel any slime. She says no way but does enlist Random guy with dog.

Random guy rocks! Random guy is a windsurfer and though he's never touched a kite, he has seen it done and then he says "so i should grab the leading edge, right?" Super Karma - this guy is money. So I pull tight, check the lines, Random guy follows commands, sweeet, no premature launch, wait for it, wait, wait, wait, now, perfect, its up, nice, redirect, good, perfect, swirl, tree, no problem - will clear it, clear it, clear it mofo.

Blam.

Kite impaled on tippy top of 30 foot tree.

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostSun Apr 23, 06 7:25 pm     Reply with quote

Ouch!! I gotta give you an E for effort dude.

Eh... drop the kite at Airtime, if you were able to retrieve it, and motor over to Full Sail for a Session to complete the remedy. Drunk

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Apr 23, 06 9:08 pm     Reply with quote

Booo kites in trees no good! Big time bummer gman. Sad

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Apr 24, 06 7:05 am     Reply with quote

Thanks - did get it back (tree climbing can be hairy). It looks like just one panel got impaled - airtime should fix. Thanks.

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostMon Apr 24, 06 9:51 am     Reply with quote

I had a good downwinder just a little light at the end but made it in nice and easy. Looks pretty good today. Just get out early before 2:00

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: