Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

board with 'pop'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 19, 06 6:22 pm    board with 'pop' Reply with quote

Any suggestions on a board with some good 'pop'? I rode a '05 SS SX last year, and was disappointed. It was very smooth in the chop, and pushed upwind well - but no 'pop'. I found myself on my '03 SS Jarvis more than I did my SX for that reason. I know, kind of lame , but it just fit my riding better. I'm thinking on getting the new '06 SX (new shape = more pop?), '06 misfit or maybe a '05 LIquid Force Drop ltd or Element (good deals now). Does Hein custom shape to suit your style? Anyway - if anyone has any good suggestions --- Thx
Also - if you are hittin the kicker's - does that affect your choice of board?---Thx x2 -- C

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostWed Apr 19, 06 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

i love my 06 misfit! great pop and fast. what size sx were you on? those boards werent bad for wake stuff and they were for sure better than the jarvis. it could be you were just on the wrong size sx. Tall those boards you mentioned are really good so you cant go wrong.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Apr 19, 06 9:54 pm     Reply with quote

If you're looking for an SS board, you should see if you can demo a new Misfit, or possibly take someones out for a short little sesh. I don't know how much I'd consider an '06 SX either, only because their design is pretty similar to last year's (aside from the concave base) as well as the '05 Misfit. I looked into the '06 Misfit for a long time before finally ordering a Brunotti Pro-X, which I'm still waiting on. But it's supposed to have good pop, etc. too, so we'll just see when it gets here...

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Apr 20, 06 5:30 am     Reply with quote

Since you won't find my boards in the shops; Here's a picture of a recent 135x41:

I've been hitting a kicker with my own 135 here in South Padre. I like unhooked wakestyle so pop and smooth landings are very important to me.

I think my single to double concave works better in the waves. It's a bottom shape that's very popular among smaller high performance surfboards. The added float of wide tips make it possible to stay on the face with less speed. The V formed by the double concave keeps the tips from tripping and makes rail to rail transitions very smooth - more like a surfboard.

For me, wakestyle off booters in the surf is a blast and I don't want to give that up by being on a directional or a surfboard. But I still want to ride waves on the way in. That's pushed me to develop a shape that does both.

I'm goofy so I've always ridden backside. Recently I've been pushing myself to ride frontside. A twin allows me to do that and still be able to hop back to my strong side when I need to.

I've been using a bigger board since staying upwind in the cleaner bigger waves near the jetty is more fun than going downwind. Less logistics. You need to be going off the wind for many of the wakestyle tricks. Getting upwind on a bigger board helps you get more tricks in on your down wind runs. In waves it lets you make more out of going down the line, since you know you can just cruise back upwind.

Call, email or PM me if you want more info. Hope this reply isn't to commercial. (PM me pkh, if it is and I'll delete it)

-Hein

Last edited by Hein on Thu Apr 20, 06 7:15 am; edited 5 times in total

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Apr 20, 06 6:51 am    if you mean Reply with quote

yank you out of the water is what your looking for get a smaller board and a bigger kite

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostThu Apr 20, 06 7:00 am     Reply with quote

Nice looking board Hein, be sure to bring the toys to the jetty this summer.

For what its worth....

I've owned an '04 SX 128 and now a '06 SX 132. Much different boards. IMO, the '04 was a better wake style board but I don't think that is the intent of the '06 SX. The '06 is about a smooth ride, easy trasitions and a damn nice ocean board. Its ends are flipped and the edges are rounded for a loose feel. The concave is great for a fast and smooth ride. The length is good for the coast too for bottom turns and upwind ability.

For wake and pop, I would look for good flex maybe a bit shorter and wider. And more squared-off ends. The '06 SX has less pop than other boards I've tried; it makes up for it being smooth, predictable and control-oriented. I went that way because of my location (coast) and there are plenty of kickers to make up for it.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 20, 06 5:13 pm     Reply with quote

Thx for all the good info. My '05 SX was a 137 - I'm 185#, and like to ride a little more board than some. Do you really need the big kite - small board thing for riding wake style and pop? I don't like to ride too overpowered when trying new moves - especially unhooked. I like less lift from the kite, and more air from the speed and chop - Is that just unrealistic for wake style? I want that 'snap' feel you get from a good snowboard when you ollie off a kicker - a nice tight/ crisp feel. - Anyways - I guess I just want too much. Time to demo out some a those boards. Tnx - C

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostFri Apr 21, 06 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

New to the area, so I don't have the local cred as many here... but I have lived the past 4 years in Cape Hatteras and am mostly a wakestyle influenced rider.

I would have to disagree with large kite : small board for wake... it is actually the opposite in my oppinion. You will always get more pop from a larger board, given everything else (rider size, kite size) is the same. Also, a larger board will allow you to ride at speed, while riding a smaller kite, which becomes very useful when you start unhooking and grabbing. Much more in control.

Board design size has gone down and then back up again for this same reason. Take a look at the newer wake influenced boards such as the LF Element and Mission and Cabrinha Custom (Dre's board) Element was in 128/134 for 05 and then they added 140 for this year... and this is the size Moe rides now (he is about 160-170lbs)

When you are using the kite to whip you off the water.. you are not actually generating as much pop as you can. Pop comes from loading the board edge against the water and against the kite lines. As with Hein's board and something Sling has slowly come around to for this year is that you will be able to edge better for pop with a concave bottom, as you can hold the edge longer (without sliding out) before releasing, therefor generating more load and pop energy.

I am about 230# and currently ride '05 LF Element 134 and Drop 136. (Waiting on mission 138cm / 144cm) and am often riding (powered up) on the same size kites as people much smaller than me.

Once you go too small on the board, it is difficult to generate good controlable pop because at that point you are flyin with so much power in the kite just to keep going that it is difficult to effectively load the board. ( and forget being comfortable nhooked one handed!)

Riding your bar fixed (or with stopper ball) will also significantly improve your pop, as sheeting movement is actually working against your ability to load up.

Best way to get the feel is to do drills, riding downwind, with a fixed bar, something I can give you more details on if you're interested. Also, my Element is available to try out in Hood River riding areas and maybe available for sale cheap. Just PM me and I'll hook it up.

Here is a teaser for you of Jason Slezak on his 144cm LF Mission.. notice how the arm on the kite is comfortably bent throughout the entire move. If he was doing same on bigger kite, smaller board than his arm would get ripped staright outward from the kite and make the whole thing less stylish and comfortable.

Cheers!
-tekko

Rider: Jason Slezak- Mission 144- Barbados
<br />Photo: www.tekkohoto.com
 Rider: Jason Slezak- Mission 144- Barbados
Photo: www.tekkohoto.com
 Slezak-indytant-barb-seq72800.jpg 

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 21, 06 4:49 pm     Reply with quote

tekko - Thx much for the info - exactly what I was looking for. I used to live in coastal NC - great place to ride - Thx - C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: