Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How hard is it to...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WOLVERINE

Since 17 Apr 2006
19 Posts
Lake Tapps Island

PostTue Apr 18, 06 2:54 am    How hard is it to... Reply with quote

So really, how hard is it to learn this sport? What are some of the dangers? What is the hardest thing to learn how to do? Turn, stop, get started, relaunch after a spill?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Apr 18, 06 6:52 am     Reply with quote

Its all relative to you dude. Sounds like you got the sickness, sometimes the hardest part is to stop thinking about it. Very Happy

If your bored and want some reading material, give this a looksey:

http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/

A lot of it is really old, but all the basic concepts are there.

Other things to do: Get a trainer kite and fly it any time you have the chance, fly it with your eyes closed, learn the wind window. learn how to keep it in the power zone.

Once you think your ready, I'd take a lesson with a professional instructor. You can get hooked up with one through any of the shops:

http://www.batchgeocode.com/map/?i=nw_kiteboard_shops

Good luck man...

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostTue Apr 18, 06 8:29 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds like you got the sickness, sometimes the hardest part is to stop thinking about it.

So true, and when you quit your "real" job, lose the wife and kids in the divorce, live in a van down by the river, etc.... it is an addictive sport.

Sometimes it is best to not start. NOT!!! Go for it dude! Be extra safety conscience, take a lesson(s)

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Apr 18, 06 8:58 am    lessons for sure Reply with quote

get lessons and learn good habits and have more fun quicker,Floras lake on the south coast has Will Brady a very good instructor and a place to camp or lodging

WOLVERINE

Since 17 Apr 2006
19 Posts
Lake Tapps Island

PostWed Apr 19, 06 2:22 am     Reply with quote

Wyo Kiter wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like you got the sickness, sometimes the hardest part is to stop thinking about it.

So true, and when you quit your "real" job, lose the wife and kids in the divorce, live in a van down by the river, etc.... it is an addictive sport.

Sometimes it is best to not start. NOT!!! Go for it dude! Be extra safety conscience, take a lesson(s)

Yeah. I blame my brother. We both are into different stuff. He's into Kiting, road biking. I'm into motorcycle racing, hockey. We're both into snowboarding, mountainbiking. One of us usually starts the other one on the next challenge.

This sounded so off the wall to begin with. I didn't get it at first. Then he started sending me pics of flying high on a frozen lake in MN. Next came the pics from Lake Pepin on the mississippi, of him kiting the water. After that I started looking at different sites, and checking out the Seattle kiting scene. I trekked out to Urban Surf one day to hit up the staff for some more info and wound up hanging out for like 2 hours getting the skinny on all the gear, prices, good places to learn, schools.

I can't stand not to check this out. My brother is coming out to kite the Gorge soon. I better be ready. Can't have my little bro showing me up to bad!!

I'll definately be PMing the seattle crew as soon as I get gear.

WOLVERINE

Since 17 Apr 2006
19 Posts
Lake Tapps Island

PostWed Apr 19, 06 2:25 am     Reply with quote

Can you carry a quiver on a motorcycle?

Shocked

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostWed Apr 19, 06 7:03 am    hoglet Reply with quote

we had a guy show up on a hog with a board and his kite so sure you can carry your gear on a bike ,most everybody starts with one kite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: