Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sauvies Size Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostMon Apr 17, 06 12:11 pm    Sauvies Size Advice Reply with quote

I am 180lbs, with skills, i an thinking about selling my 05 Fuel 15M, and just using my Machine 17.5 for Sauvies. Next kite size down is an 11M Fuel. You guys have great knowledge. Would this work???
Thanks

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Apr 17, 06 12:37 pm     Reply with quote

Are you normally underpowered at Sauvies? I'm 140lbs and ride my Fuel 11 at Sauvies, but towards the end of the summer when the wind starts coming down, I'm always hunting for power. For this reason I'm probably going to get a 15m later on down the road. What color is your 15m? Wink
Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Mon Apr 17, 06 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
Stoked

PostMon Apr 17, 06 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

I just wanted to get you'alls advice. I like to be lit. The last day i saw postings for SI the Ikitesurf was about a steady 10mph. But peeps were reported riding 13M. Is it the high(er) CFS river flow
Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

Last edited by Wyo Kiter on Mon Apr 24, 06 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Apr 17, 06 12:45 pm     Reply with quote

Mid summer Sauvies will blow a pretty consistent 15-20 (the point where I could go out on a 13m and be crazy lit). I'd say figure that's about the typical wind you'll be looking at, sometimes maybe less, and if that's not enough go with a Machine. Have you thought about an Octane 16?

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostMon Apr 17, 06 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

80% of the time everyone is on big kites at Sauvies. Some people have stepped down from 17's, and have a 15 as their big kite + a glide or skimboard. 11 to 17 seems like a pretty big gap in your quiver.

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
Stoked

PostMon Apr 17, 06 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

It looks like a 15M Cleveland Browns Helmut.

Last edited by Wyo Kiter on Mon Apr 24, 06 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
Stoked

PostMon Apr 17, 06 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for the advice guys. i guess i won't sell the 15m yet.
here is another picture for the color, if you like the color i could be convinved to sell it

IMG_0212.JPG 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Apr 17, 06 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

15m is pretty big, maybe as big as you need.

I rode my 13m as my big kite at Sauvies all last year (175lbs)... though sometimes I was on my skimboard or a glide. Boards make a bigger difference IMO.

I did bum a ride on a few Machines and other big kites, and they do pull way harder than my 13m... but pulling hard and getting you upwind are two different things. The Machine is one of the better kites at giving you depower options and more efficency from a big kite, I probably didn't ride it enough to get the most out of it.

Its kind of tough to do decent wakestyle when you aren't pretty juiced, and I guess to that extent big kites come in handy. I just hate being on too big a kite when the wind does come up...

JNETTE

Since 02 Feb 2006
149 Posts
PORTLAND
Stoked

PostMon Apr 17, 06 2:29 pm    ARE YOU FROM WYOMING? Reply with quote

HEY WYO.....ARE YOU FROM WYOMING??? I AM FROM JACKSON/LARAMIE AREAS....BUT BEEN OUT HERE FOR 5 YRS. JUST CURIOUS?
JEANETTE

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
Stoked

PostTue Apr 18, 06 8:35 am     Reply with quote

yup, from JH also, not Brokeback MTN, Just moved to BG, WA. A foto if you are homesick.

IMG_2696.jpg 

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 18, 06 11:52 am     Reply with quote

just saw a 05 fuel 15 in 2ond wind consignment shop in hr for $300.00. great price, but i didnt get a look at the kite (my wife says i cant have any more kites)

jimmi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: