Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Honolulu and Kauai....worth it to bring kites?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostTue Apr 11, 06 10:09 am    Honolulu and Kauai....worth it to bring kites? Reply with quote

Leaving for a wedding at the end of this month and wondered if it is worth packing the gear as it will be such a short trip and I have no idea how consistant the conditions are in either location or where to go. Thanks for any info in advance!

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostTue Apr 11, 06 11:23 am     Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat, I have a 4 day trip to honolulu, but I think I will still get over to the eastside of the island.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Apr 11, 06 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

I don't know how great Kauai is for kiting, only because the few people I know that live there don't think it is (JP did it once a couple years back so he can tell you about it)... Definately take them if you're planning on going to Oahu though!

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 11, 06 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

The beauty of an island is it is usually windy on some part. It’s just a matter of: can you be there at the right time & is it suitable to launching, riding, etc.

I’d say, watch the weather & decide at the last minute if you have room to bring your gear.

Also, ask the guys on the local kite forums.

Good luck. ~Dano Cool

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 11, 06 2:13 pm    kauai Reply with quote

i was in kauai and watched a ton of people kiting on the north side (hanalei bay), but the next day, there was no wind at all. One of the guys told me that it was very seasonal.

there is a kite shop there though, google for kiteboarding and hawaii, and the kauai shop should show up...give the guy a call...he was pretty cool.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Apr 11, 06 2:17 pm     Reply with quote

This time of year Kailua (Oahu) is blowing 50-75% of the time, I'd bring the gear for sure. Thumb's Up

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostTue Apr 11, 06 2:39 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!! I may just pack some gear over after all..one day out kiting might just be worth it, especially as I won't need to pack the wetsuit.

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 11, 06 2:39 pm     Reply with quote

for sure
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 11, 06 2:46 pm     Reply with quote

for sure
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 11, 06 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

for sure
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Apr 11, 06 4:25 pm     Reply with quote

I had a feeling JP would go off since "Kauai" was in the title... Wink

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 11, 06 6:13 pm     Reply with quote

Nice work importracer9 99 Thumb's Up

~D Cool

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostTue Apr 11, 06 9:56 pm     Reply with quote

second that....love that arial shot looking straight down on Kauai!

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed Apr 12, 06 10:15 am     Reply with quote

Jp bringing the good island info as usual ~

sentone

Since 10 Feb 2006
66 Posts

PostThu Apr 13, 06 9:41 pm     Reply with quote

kiteing on kauai is real good .but really advanced not much flat water and most all launches are best to ask for help ..the winter wind is frontal an usally strong 7 to 12 weather the crew here is super helpful as we dont have rules and regs like maui or oahu and are trying to keep it that way its a round island so on trades east n east the north shore is cross the east side is dead on and the south is cross ......regular foots like tunnels barreling rights that are sub level the land of the thousand dollar mistake the bay in hanalei is super gusty because of its half moon shape but when its to windy for heana its a shot...... anni beach is are best flat water but tide is crucial 1.5 or more no less its shallow and procteted 6 in to2 feet deep nasty bottom......the east side is where most people hang fugi beach flat water with kickers be carful its dead onshore power lines houses and babies,,shouth shore is mahalapu .....goffy foot lefts hollow and sunny a grat place to dry out trades are starting now and they blow steady for most the summer ........not frountal......bring you stuff we dont have a real shop cuz theres no volume internet or outer island were we get are stuff when you come DONT BE AFFAIRED TO ASK FOR HELP theres only 40 or so kiters here and we are spread out Very Happy Shocked Cool Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: