Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Digital Camera advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostMon Apr 10, 06 7:16 pm    Digital Camera advice Reply with quote

Hey all,
I am in the market for a new digital camera and was looking to see if anyone here had some experrience with the ones I am looking at. I want to get something with a decent amount of pixels, a long range optical zoom (12x), a burst image mode for those hot jumps and wipeouts, and under$400.

These are the cameras I am currently looking at:
Canon PowerShot S2 IS, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7, Sony DSC-H1, Sony DSC-H2.

Anyone have any experience using these or any others I should be looking at?
Thanks,
Jim

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Apr 10, 06 10:09 pm     Reply with quote

Not that I can be much of a help, but are you just looking for more of a manual (exposure, focus, etc.), "point & shoot" style cam? Not like a digi SLR or anything, correct? Let me know, and I'll try to help ya a bit more from there...

-Adam

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostTue Apr 11, 06 5:22 am     Reply with quote

I was looking for something that would give me the option of manual if I wanted it, but in most cases I can see just a point and shoot use from it. I think a full digital SLR is out of my price range for now.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Apr 11, 06 6:53 am     Reply with quote

Check out DP Review. They have breakdowns and full reports of all types of cameras. I find the reviews to be very accurate.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Good luck
Mark

www.naishkites.com

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Apr 11, 06 7:17 am     Reply with quote

I had the lumix lz4 and just replaced it with the lz7. Got mine from Circuit City for $330. I think these cameras are fantastic and the IS long zoom is excellent and reasonably fast. The camera starts really quickly and the autofocus is quick and usually accurate. The lz7 has a nice big lcd screen for reviewing images, a manual focus option, much better movie modes than the older lumixes, lots of manual controls - white balance, iso, shutter speed, aperture, bracketing, several burst modes, lots of scene modes, good macro mode (especially the tele macro) etc, etc. I think the image quality is great especially in decent light - it can't compete with a DSLR at higher ISO but have you checked the price of an f3.5 450mm IS lens for a DSLR? Also it is still a pretty light camera, too big to stick in your pants pocket but small and light enough to shove down the front of your jacket or sweatshirt whilst hiking. 99% of the time i look at my photos on the pc, email them etc. When i print them i don't usually go bigger than 8x10 - for all of this the lz7 is more than enough camera for me.
Which ever camera you choose also treat yourself to a copy of photoshop elements4 or CS2(if you can afford it) and spend some time learning how to process your images. A little bit of judicious processing and cropping seems to really pay off.
Finally sorry but i haven't taken any kiting photos i could post yet with the camera, mainly lots of wildlife around our yard!
DPreview also has a panasonic forum you can read lots of Q&A about the camera there as well as view sample images.
Good luck - Paul

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostTue Apr 11, 06 7:44 am     Reply with quote

The sony H1 is really really good. we have that and a digital rebel and the h1 takes better pictures most of the time. we bought it 6 months ago for $500 but now it is probably more like 400. it has 12x zoom and you can get a telephoto lense or a wide angle.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostTue Apr 11, 06 8:52 am     Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Both of them got good reviews online. I was leaning towards the Sony first, but the burst speed is better on the Panasonic, which is one of the features I think would be really nice for the action shots.

Jim

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Apr 11, 06 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Though I haven't used much of the new Sony stuff, that's what I'd definately check into first. Most of the time (especially in shitty conditions) I use my older Sony DSC-F717 which is very similar in size/shape/specs to the new H lineup, and works great, but best in full manual. It's just that most of the time (shooting fast stuff), unless you've got your finger on the "trigger," you're not going to get exactly what you want, only because the thing has to set exposure and focus EVERY time. Who knows though, maybe the brand new stuff is quicker, but I'd say if you know what you basically want, go test them out at the store.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 11, 06 8:00 pm    Cannon SD 550 Reply with quote

I got one of these for a trip to Baja this winter. has 7.1 and 4 opt and 12 dig zoom, as big as your card video and a water (sand) proof (100ft) case available. Camera was 400 and waterproff case 170. Best part was it also kept out sand.

PM me for samples or I could post some. My 9 year old could use it and got some good shots.

If the surf wasn't so big this christmas, he would of had water shots. A future Bruce Brown.

BK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: