Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Waroo upgrade bar; 7m or 9m

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
MW

Since 09 Jan 2006
186 Posts
Hood River, Oregon
Stoked

PostFri Apr 07, 06 1:02 pm    Waroo upgrade bar; 7m or 9m Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the upgrade bar from Best to apply to the Waroo? Does it fly ok compared to the bar that comes with the Waroo package? I have Naish 5ht line bar I bought for my Nemesis quiver that I'd like to use. And I think I've asked this before, but would it make more sense to get the 7m over the 9m, since I already have a 12m Crossbow, or is the range on the 9m enough to handle most conditions over 30?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Apr 07, 06 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

I don't have the Waroo, but I think the key with any bow/flat kite is lots of travel in the rear lines. Some accomplish this by having the a dual pulley on the bar ends setup, the Waroo bar on the other hand does it by just having a really long chicken loop and depower strap.

I'd say if you really want to take of all the advantages a bow/flat kite can offer, make sure you get a bar suited for it.

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostFri Apr 07, 06 9:24 pm     Reply with quote

I've taken the Waroo 7m, 9m, and 12m for a spin or two, this is just my 2 cents...not sure how this relates to the Crossbow but the Waroo 12m and 7m are a good match, the range of the 9m is too close to the 12m IMO, but the 9m is an awesome kite. The 7m has a bit better low end than my X4 8m. Also I'd say get a SS Turbo Diesel bar and take the pulleys off or make one out of you Naish bar. ...

I used a Naish bar for my Waroo 7m, try to find a SS Turbo Diesel C-loop. You can do what I did and make one using a standard SS loc-load Cloop, 6+ feet of 3/16" Amsteel, a ClamCleat CL211MK2 like SS uses, and pulley or ring (I say use a pulley with a swivel). You want 25" of sheeting range, set it up so all lines are equal when the cloop is against the bar with no depower (all the way out). Getting the cleat to fit on the SS cloop takes some hacking with a razor blade unless you can get the SS Turbo Diesel version of the C-loop. To make a stopper just drill two holes in a piece of cutting board. If you don't feel crafty, Wiley in Seattle can convert a bar pretty sweet, http://www.wileyski.com, the Seattle area Best dealer. My setup works great, the sliding stopper idea is killer, easy to make your own

Then when you want to ride like a C kite on the stopper, great set it where you like, spin the bar all day long, then when it's gusty crappy, ride w/o the stop. Also with the SS bar the depower is down at the C-loop and is always easy to reach, a little odd getting used to it being down there, but you get used to it quick

My .02
Mike

roobar0.jpg 

Last edited by mikes on Tue May 30, 06 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSat Apr 08, 06 6:30 am     Reply with quote

That looks pretty slick. I may resort to making something similar if my windwing bar's break. Can you shoot a close up of your cutting board "stopper"?

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostMon Apr 10, 06 6:21 am     Reply with quote

Here's the only other pic. Check with Wiley about stopppers similar to the SS stopper (SS isn't selling them as a spare) I'd say it is worth getting rather than making. Mine chews up the lines a bit and the pointy end on the SS saves the ropes from that.

Mike S

roobar3.jpg 

chrisf

Since 06 Jan 2006
17 Posts
White Salmon

PostMon Apr 10, 06 5:34 pm     Reply with quote

Mike,
If you don't mind me asking what is the wind range you get on the 7 Waroo and what is your weight.
Thanks,
Chris

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostMon Apr 10, 06 11:23 pm     Reply with quote

Honestly I cannot say what the top end is, I just got mine and haven't ridden in that much wind yet, but some other B'ham locals have had them out in stupid wind (~4.0 windsurfing), the upper end is waay beyond 8m C kites we've used and really is a matter of how much you feel you can handle. We bought them for winter southerlies, windy days in the Gorge and the OR coast, cuz when it's blowing like stink there's usually nice terrain and these kite let you really ride without getting ripped off your edge.

I hate to guess wind speeds because everyone has a different take, I'd guess around 17-18 knots is the absolute low end where I'd be working the kite to stay even, 20+ is where it should be. Two times is all I've been out when 7m Waroo's and 8m C's were out. Both times were just enough to have fun on a 8m C, but not full on 8m C kite wind. The W7's did better staying upwind and jumping, but it wasn't a huge difference. I weigh 180, ride a 128x38 board much like the Jaime Pro, for what it's worth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: