Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Need help tuning my kites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 07, 06 8:34 am    Need help tuning my kites Reply with quote

After 1 season of riding, I have come to realize I need a little help. Yes, I have taking classes out at the Gorge, the problem is I need some help tuning my kite Confused . So, if there is someone out here (preferably someone who really rips and understands how kites work) that wants to ride a Liquid Force Spectrum II, send me a PM. I have a full quiver consisting of a 10m, 14m, and 17m. So, given the day, we can pump up whatever we need.

So, what do I mean by tuning. Well, here are my thoughts. You can take out one of my kites for 10 minutes or so, give it a working, and tell me what you think and how you adjusted it while you were riding. I think this would help me greatly! Only condition is you dont wreck it and you give me some honest feedback. Very Happy

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Apr 07, 06 8:59 am     Reply with quote

JB, let me throw this out for simplicity and we'll see what others say.

For any 4 line kite, for a given size:

Power = about right = back lines slightly longer than the front lines
Power = more than desired = add slack to back lines
Power = less than desired = shorten back lines (but only to a point)

So what is this "Bar pressure" that everyone's always talking about these days. Isn't it just a function of your line lengths? Rolling Eyes

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 07, 06 9:04 am     Reply with quote

Yah, thats what I thought. One other problem I am having is when I launch, sometimes the kite just drifts back into the center of the window. Does this happen when your back lines are way to short? Should I be adding lengh to the back lines when launching? Confused

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 07, 06 9:43 am     Reply with quote

Most likely, Yes. That’s called “back-flying” and is most often caused by over-sheeting (back lines to short and/or bar sheeted in to far)

Agree with Slither’s simplified explanation (generally speaking)

~D Cool

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Apr 07, 06 11:17 am     Reply with quote

With your lines all equal (if you have the kite ends all fixed) and your depower all the way out, where does your bar stop at? Generally ~2/3rds of the way down (between the upper stopper ball and bottoming out on either a lower stopper ball or your chicken loop) works pretty well. Then as you start to trim in your depower, you still have some room for responsive control (bar sheeted in), before depowering all the way and only having that responsiveness when the kite is super far ahead in the window, in power...

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 07, 06 11:46 am     Reply with quote

ahh I get what you mean. thanks!
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 07, 06 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

This is all great advice! I think I need to hook all of my lines to a tree or something to see where my bar sits.

If anyone has anymore tips, please add them on. Very Happy

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 07, 06 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

thats what i did,
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Apr 09, 06 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

a trick someone showed me

put all four lines in a carabiner and attach the 'biner to a tree or something-i use a chainline fence- to ensure equal line length. then do as the other dudes say: power strap all the way out-fully powered- and trim bar in about 2/3, all lines should be about equal.

i've been looking at kites alot (its been too cold to fly em much), and even in the mags, you see a lot of rigs with too much front line length, so check your flying lines often. mine stretched about 6-8 inches last year, and most of you guys get to ride a lot more than i do.

and nothing takes care of line length issues (within reason) like a fully powered up kite!
jim

NaishUSA

Since 07 Jul 2005
53 Posts
HR OR

PostMon Apr 10, 06 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

And remember: Full power can be anywhere on the chicken loop throw that you want it, so the best first step is to decide where you want the bar to be at full power (and what suits your riding style) and tune from there.

As metioned before generally if your kite is backing down in the window you have too much back line tension (back lines too short or front lines too long). Are you trying to launch unhooked?

~Matt

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 10, 06 1:10 pm     Reply with quote

No, I am launching hooked in.

As for the rest of the advice, I didnt realize lines could stretch out that much. Once the suns back out, I will have to try the hooked-up technique.....which is always fun Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: