Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Turbow on snow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sailut

Since 31 May 2005
72 Posts
Utah

PostWed Jan 11, 06 7:22 pm    Turbow on snow Reply with quote

I demoed a 12m Slingshot Turbo Diesel at Skyline yesterday (1/10)
The kite looks like it is usual Slingshot "tough". The onepump is great. I connected the lines at home, then rolled up the kite, with the bar connected. On the snow, I just connected the chicken loop, with the kite totally depowered (stopper ball closest to kite) to my burried snowboard. Then pumped the kite.

With it depowered, it just comfortably sat there as I walked back to my kite, not feeling like I had to hurry. I hooked into the chicken loop, put my board on,

then just pulled on one rear line and it rolled up and launched, softly because of the depower range, no jerk on the launch, unless you want it by just pulling in on the bar. The first thing I want to know on a new kite is how the safety works. With the stopper ball in the full depower position, I just let the bar go, the kite softly dropped to the ground with absolutly no pull. Then I just reached out for the bar, pulled in on a rear line, and off I went. Super safe, super easy.
The wind was very light, I was working it a lot, it would fall out of the sky, not bad kite, just bad wind. I would have normally rigged bigger kite. Just wanted to Demo this kite. But very easy to relaunch. In bad winds, when the kite would stall and fall from the sky is when I experienced the inverted kite syndrome. (wouldn't just one more bridle fix this problem?)

I like the way the kite flys, more like a wing, less like a bucket. Its very fast, it turns on its axis, not from the tips. Super fast loops. I like the power/speed in the turns, I like the longer and softer jumps. I think my favorite is the stopper. Simple is always best, and this is simple. Very easy to adjust on the fly. I like the Cabrinha Powerlock, and North Microhook. This is the best of all worlds, adjustable lock in. Killer for toe side.
The kite bag is million times better than last years garbage bag.
Why the hell doesn't slingshot have colored lines? what a pain in the butt to not see any lines laying on the snow, stupid.
I didn't get to test the range, the wind were to light.
Thanks to Jon from Mountian Top kites for the Demo.

-Marty Cool

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Jan 11, 06 11:53 pm     Reply with quote

Good stuff and nice write up! I normally don't like bows all the much, but since it's Slingy, I do like the Turbo Diesel... Definately seem a lot safer for snowkiting, especially in gusty conditions. JP (importracer999) and I were up on Hood this past weekend on my Fuel 11 in wind ranging from 5mph (where the kite would stall and crash) to 30mph in the gusts where we were so over-powered it was just stupid. That's when the range of a bow kite seems awesome!

Sailut

Since 31 May 2005
72 Posts
Utah

PostSun Feb 26, 06 7:25 am     Reply with quote

As an update to this review.......

I have used the 12M Turbo diesel many more time since.
I started pumping the kite to 8.5 pounds psi
I haven't had any inversions since.
There have been a few times that it would have inverted,
with less psi
I love the kite, I dont use my 16.5 Contra, 13m or 11m Fuel

-Marty Cool

MW

Since 09 Jan 2006
186 Posts
Hood River, Oregon
Stoked

PostSun Feb 26, 06 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

Hey, where is this spot Skyline?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Feb 26, 06 2:35 pm     Reply with quote

mauiwater wrote:
Hey, where is this spot Skyline?

Utah: http://www.sanpetecounty.org/attractions/skyline_drive.html

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostSun Feb 26, 06 7:51 pm     Reply with quote

That might be my next purchase. I just shredded the crap out of my xbow self landing on a rocky reservoir in 60mph gusts. Evil or Very Mad

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Feb 27, 06 8:53 am     Reply with quote

KiteKarl wrote:
That might be my next purchase. I just shredded the crap out of my xbow self landing on a rocky reservoir in 60mph gusts. Evil or Very Mad

Aww man that's no fun. But besides that self landing on a rocky reservoir this time of year sounds a bit sketch Karl!

Hope you're alright...

Airnsails

Since 22 Jun 2005
104 Posts
Hood River, OR
Stoked

PostMon Feb 27, 06 9:37 am     Reply with quote

Check out a this video clip of Alex Peterson and Aaron Sales usng Turbo Diesels on the snow in Montana.

http://ussnowkite.com/videos.html

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Feb 27, 06 10:13 am    Rossignol Reply with quote

Aaron,

Ahhh, good to see that you guys now have Rossignol hanging off your feet instead of that Salomon stuff... Just was chatting with Lavell about the Hagen trip, sounds like it was super yummy and I NEED to get out there soon...

Adios, Bam

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Feb 27, 06 10:45 am    Re: Rossignol Reply with quote

bambam wrote:
Aaron,
Just was chatting with Lavell about the Hagen trip, sounds like it was super yummy and I NEED to get out there soon...
Adios, Bam

Huh?!?

Scooter was at the Rode?
I didn’t see him at the lake or up at Haggin.

Btw Put Mt Haggin on your list of things to do. It's worth the drive.

cheers,

JP

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostMon Feb 27, 06 11:08 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
KiteKarl wrote:

Aww man that's no fun. But besides that self landing on a rocky reservoir this time of year sounds a bit sketch Karl!

Hope you're alright...

I'm ok, my kite needs reconstructive surgery. I'm about done with Cabrinha anyway. We'll see...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: