Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slingshot SRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 10, 06 7:25 am    Slingshot SRT Reply with quote

Anyone try one of these boards? I'm thinking of getting one for down the line ripping at the jetty.

Steve

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Feb 10, 06 7:56 am    Re: Slingshot SRT Reply with quote

Mocean wrote:
down the line ripping at the jetty.Steve

http://www.nwkite.com/guides/

where is the jetty?

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri Feb 10, 06 8:10 am     Reply with quote

There are jettys at newport and florence along with many other Oregon coast rivermouths. These jettys are great spots for riding. And nope have not tried the board.

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 10, 06 8:34 am     Reply with quote

I'd highly recommend it. Perfect for late morning/early afternoon before it starts nukin. I've tried the 5'5" which was perfect for me but I'm not very big. If you want to actually "surf" down the line, then this is your baby.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 10, 06 9:11 am     Reply with quote

I'm specifically talking about the Yaquina Bay south jetty in Newport. Which looks like it could turn on early next week. Tis the season!

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 10, 06 9:20 am     Reply with quote

I ride the florence jetty and it works great there. You should be pimpin in Newport with the lighter winds

scooter

Since 23 Apr 2005
99 Posts
hood River

PostFri Feb 10, 06 10:27 am    Eugene Reply with quote

dcrowe, you ever ride fern ridge. I grew up a block away and always wanted to try it there. Ive sailed boats there and know the winds are a bit finicky, but have you tried it?

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 10, 06 10:36 am     Reply with quote

yeah I've tried it on several occasions. Now I just drive right on by and head to the coast. The problem is the wind is never very good. It will be blowing twenty five kts and you still need a 20m machine because it will lull down to 4kts about every three minutes. It's certainly novel but if you want to keep your lines from being stained brown and actually stay upwind, I'd keep riding at the ocean. See you out there!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Feb 10, 06 10:46 am     Reply with quote

I'm a little off topic here, but I was gonna make a little "report" anyways... haha

JP and I've been at South Jetty, Newport the past three weekends, but it's been a little nuts lately. The two previous times before yesterday it was blowing ~35 gusting to 50-55kts S to SSW. Didn't even try putting up my 7m or JP's 9 so we tossed up the B3 and got hucked around on the beach for awhile. However, yesterday's weather was awesome, but again we didn't ride... Aside from being due EAST, the wind would go from ~10kts (kite's about ready to fall out of the sky), to gusting to 35. Needless to say we were unhooked and Onelining (at least JP was, I had my suicide leash on my "Oh Shit" handle) the kites a LOT! Wink

Here are a few pics... Didn't really take any without us in them, but whatever. As you can see the latest storms have washed a ton of shit up on the beach, and the only reason we had room to play was because it was low tide. At ~+7ft, the water is a lot further up.

February 3, 2006 - JP in CRAZY wind!
 February 3, 2006 - JP in CRAZY wind!  JP_SouthJetty_Crazy.JPG 
Smoothest water I've ever seen at South Jetty!
 Smoothest water I've ever seen at South Jetty!  Adam_Smooth_Water.JPG 
JP playing on my 7 - See the big logs behind him?
 JP playing on my 7 - See the big logs behind him?  JP_Little_KungFu.JPG 
This is my MySpace background, which is why it's all tagged up with Slingy!
 This is my MySpace background, which is why it's all tagged up with Slingy!  SouthJettySlingyAdam.jpg 

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 10, 06 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, it's been crazy out there. I was at the Florence jetty on Wednesday and it was nuts. Logs in the water everywhere. A.P. and Sales were down from the Gorge and we played survivor kiting for the afternoon. Can't wait till the logs wash up.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 10, 06 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

Hey kataku2k3, I'll look forward to meeting you at the jetty this spring if you're going to be coming over from Corvallis. Next week the north winds are forecast to come up, but also a 15-foot west swell, which hopefully will diminish as the week progresses.

Kiting in south or east winds at the jetty are never a good idea. On east winds, I've seen Brian Wichner (local kite-surf phenom) kiting at the north jetty, running parallel to the beach hugging as close as he could to the shoreline. This is really dicey, though, because one good body drag/crash, and you'd be pulled out and then getting back could be a problem. One east wind spot that's good around here that I almost considered going out at this morning was the Hatfield Marine Science center - around the backside of the EPA lab. From there you can ride across the whole bay at high tide on east winds. Everything has to come together though, steady east wind, just the right tide, so that there's some sand to launch from, or someone to launch for you if there's too much water. We scored good there once, and it was so nice.

sentone

Since 10 Feb 2006
66 Posts

PostFri Feb 10, 06 9:54 pm     Reply with quote

i have a 5-5 get one if you can. not many made ,,,these boards are insane ,wave riding lip smaking down the line or straight up, lot s of twicking involved but jibeable if you have the time, smaller kites come into play on windy days but light days when most are whinning you will be hard charging works best for me with a 10 turbo cant wait for a 14...but these boards float nice so the depower off the lip will rule all......no more getting pulled out the back most shops have the 5-11 the 5-5 is running short....if you ride waves you will not be disappointed Exclamation

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat Feb 11, 06 7:33 pm     Reply with quote

Yea for sure Mocean! We'll most likely be there or up north in Lincoln City (Siletz), just as soon as the wind allows. Can't wait for some sunny north days! Thanks for the info on Yaquina Bay too. It's cool you mentioned that because JP and I've been wondering a lot lately, if it's at all possible to ride in there. Looks like it would be sweet when the tide is out.

And just out of curiousity, have you even riden in the bay at Waldport? We stopped down there last weekend and it looks like it could possibly work..?

-Adam Cool

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostSat Feb 11, 06 11:57 pm     Reply with quote

On south winds Alsea Bay is great on an outgoing tide, but the wind needs to have some southwest in it. Launch by the Bayshore hotel on the north side. It was the main winter bay sailing spot for us for years back in the windsurf days. Not the best launching and landing for kites though - rocky, narrow beach, so the field is really the only option. The mouth at low tide can sometimes be great too - if you're there when its on. Over the years I've become less enthused about south winds though, just no comparison to the steady summer NNW.

North winds are terrible on Alsea Bay - way too gusty and holey. I wish it was good all the time there, since I work in Waldport. But, South Beach is only 15 minutes away....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: