Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

sellin off the farm...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostMon Jan 23, 06 11:47 am    sellin off the farm... Reply with quote

and living in a van down by the river. Just chasing wind. How many of you thought about it? How many thought seriously about it? How many doing it? What about money to live on when your old and bitter that you can't kite anymore (about 75)? What other locations would you visit in the offseason? If you had a huge financial windfall, how would you set up your new life to maximize time on the water? Come on, dream a little, crap here comes my boss... later.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Jan 23, 06 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

JP and I'll be living out east (Rufus?) for a few weeks this summer if I decide not to take summer classes. It for surely would definately be awesome not to do anything but kite/chase wind for the rest of my life, but I don't see that happening, and I pretty much would die without money... Oh well, if I don't get into OHSU after this year, I'll just move to Fortaleza and kite all day long! Very Happy

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostMon Jan 23, 06 5:19 pm     Reply with quote

I recommend reading "The Search for Captain Zero" by A.C. Weizbecker
It's about traveling around Central America surfing.

scrib

crucifunkin

Since 31 Aug 2005
37 Posts

PostMon Jan 23, 06 6:32 pm     Reply with quote

weisbeckers site is great. Thanks for the referral.

scooter

Since 23 Apr 2005
99 Posts
hood River

PostTue Jan 24, 06 1:10 pm    van at walmart? Reply with quote

Howdy! I spent two months this fall in my vw bus here in hood river. I parked at the walmart every night without them saying a thing. they are open 24/7 so you have a bathroom anytime. I say go for it.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Jan 24, 06 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

What do you do about a shower? Walmart sinks, or just wash off in the Columbia? Thats's awesome though!

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue Jan 24, 06 3:01 pm     Reply with quote

Buy a 40-50 ft catamaran and cruise the world. Come on guys, if you are gonna dream don't settle for livin in a van down by the river.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jan 25, 06 11:50 am    sellin' . . . Reply with quote

the real question here is can one survive an obsession by feeding it? . . .

since learning to kite in april 04 in hr, kited a week or two at floras, where the hook was set. later in the fall, spi, where the reel started to crank the line tight. in holbox in early 05, i was completely at mykitegod's mercy. la ventana later that winter. gorge/floras summer 05. hatteras in the fall chased out by Ophelia. spi. st kitts in december. cozumel next month.

am i kingshit-no, as a matter of fact, i still sort of suck, but the fact is WHO CARES?-I'm lovin it. the wife has 401k concerns.

met a guy named rodger in spi, great guy, was taking two years off work-civil engineer from the midwest who saidit best: "I can work at 70 better than I can kite at 70."

yeah, i dream of moving somewhere like corpus or southern va, worken some furken job so i can kite ft. and my girl and i may take a year and travel, just to see if the reality matches the dream. . .

Floras in late summer, then down to the bay area/delta and socal before cali shuts down. i am on my road bicycle, taking backroads, my wife drivin the RV, "meet you in alameda sweety."

Long haul across the dessert sowest on my sweet road bike to south texas, then corpus and spi in the wind for a month or so. on around the gulf to west fla, south fla and the keys, timing not great but enough time to take advantage of the northern cold fronts. maybe hold up for the winter and eat grapefruit and work on my tan. . .

hatteras in the spring, side trips to the bahamas and the antilles to margarita. brazil if we get really scary. hold up for a while and work on my portugese. . .

the thing is, when we got back a year or two later, would i BE ABLE to GET BACK, you know, justify watching your life go by (have you ever noticed is always 10pm?!-bam:10pm, bam:10pm,bam:10pm!?), working the job, paying the bills, watching the rain. . .

i guess i need some kite time, i sounding a bit depressed, but i dunno, tomorrow is promised to no one, and i watch people get sick every day (i practice family medicine) and no one ever expects it or really sees it coming (now, what is this vietnam-boracay-OZ thing all about?. . .)
your brother in the wind

jimbo

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostThu Feb 02, 06 12:24 pm     Reply with quote

Jimbo,
I know what you mean about 10 PM man. I hope you destroyed your alarm. That would be the first thing to go for me. Any day that I have to wake up I can sleep all day, but when I can sleep in I can't sleep.

Scrib

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostThu Feb 02, 06 9:44 pm    Re: sellin off the farm... Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
and living in a van down by the river. Just chasing wind. How many of you thought about it? How many thought seriously about it? How many doing it? What about money to live on when your old and bitter that you can't kite anymore (about 75)? What other locations would you visit in the offseason? If you had a huge financial windfall, how would you set up your new life to maximize time on the water? Come on, dream a little, crap here comes my boss... later.
well in all reality, there is a guy who has pulled it off and has achieved the golden knowledge,plus the reputation of a great kiter ..do you know who???

littlegus

Since 08 Jul 2005
29 Posts
La Jungla

PostThu Feb 02, 06 11:50 pm    You have the rest of your life to work. Reply with quote

I plan on not working this summer too. I'll likely do some kiting, biking, hiking, and traveling.

No worries about the future, I have the rest of my life to work if I choose. Might as well have some fun while we can Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: