Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

K.I.T.E.S. ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jan 23, 06 7:54 am    K.I.T.E.S. ? Reply with quote

has anyone heard (or used) the K.I.T.E.S before? basically a system of multiple line lengths to change the effective size of your kite. I bought a book and a video, and the guy uses this technique a lot.

I've been looking at buying a new kite, but can really only afford one at a time. I was thinking that this might be a good intermediate wind kite, assuming that shortening the lines would keep me safe in higher winds.

Does this work pretty well?

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Jan 23, 06 8:26 am     Reply with quote

Hey Elvis,

I think K.I.T.E.S takes the line length thing a little far but there's no question that you can enhance your quiver with some different line lengths.

Going from 27M to 20M lines will be like taking a meter or 2 out of your kite, but jumping on shorter lines get's kinda funky. When it's nuking, going out on shorter lines just to carve things up is great.

24m to 27m is usually optimal for sizes 12m on up. \

My 2 cents.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jan 23, 06 10:58 am     Reply with quote

I think having shorter lines is good. But for serious riding 12m would be the shortest I could think of using, and that would have to be on a big kite if you wanted any kind of power. I dont really think that there is a point to have lines longer than 24m. I ride 22m lines all the time and wouldnt want any longer. I think the K.I.T.E.S system is a good way to show how the kites actually function with the variable line lengths, but for actuall riding a 1 kite quiver it wouldnt work. Look at getting a bow kite, that sounds about what you need.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Jan 23, 06 11:44 am     Reply with quote

Yea, definately hate the factory '04-05 Slingy 27 meter lines. Went down to 22 on one of my bars, but that wasn't enough, so they're currently at ~20 (still have a set at 27, and I'm sure it due time they'll be cut down too). It does make a noticable difference in how fast you can get the kite ahead of you in super-powered conditions, but as you all know, that doesn't mean go out on your 13m in a solid 35-40kts (for most normal weight, non-psychotic people). I do get a bit more upper range out of my 11 on short lines, but I'm still on the verge of being overpowered at 30kts with them on my 7. I'd consider a bow kite, or expanding the quiver if you're looking for more range.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: