Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Travel?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Dec 24, 05 8:22 pm     Reply with quote

james,
we are going feb 3-13, so we will be overlapping by a few days. You are lucky to be there so long! we are on CC beach too...

I'd love to look into some boat sharing possibilities, sounds like that is the only way to get to the really killer spots.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jan 10, 06 7:56 am     Reply with quote

Lets keep this thread going, who else is going somewhere this winter?

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 10, 06 9:17 am     Reply with quote

Durango/Telluride, Whistler, and Kona, HI - Has anyone heard the latest on the beaches being banned to kiting on the big island? Something about disturbing the protected sea turtles and nesting birds. Tonski Confused

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 10, 06 10:14 am     Reply with quote

I’ve got a two month sabbatical from work so I’ll be living the dream:

First two weeks in La Ventana kite instructing with New Wind and partying hard with Barfly, Wind Slither & Sasquatch...

Then Whistler BC for a long weekend with the wifey & friends boarding & skiing…

Followed by two & ˝ weeks in Maui kite instructing with HST, surfing, SCUBA, etc.

Finishing up with eight days on Kona with the wifey SCUBA, lava surfing, snorkel, surf & perhaps kite if the park ranger leaves us alone…

Then back to reality….. ~D Cool

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostTue Jan 10, 06 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

I have a question that goes along with this thread. Next year I convinced my family to go somewhere for christmas so I don't have to spend another vacation visiting the place I spent 23 years of my life before I moved to Oregon. So I was thinking about renting a house at Baja Joes in La Ventana. I am wondering if this would be fun for people that would not be kiting. My mother is like 70 so she would just probably sit around and read/walk on the beach. I don't want to take them there if it will be cold and windy all day or there is nothing else for them to do. I've heard that the wind picks up in the afternoon and gets chilly but it sounded like the mornings may be comfortable. Would a private house at Baja Joes be a good place? Any places in Costa Rica or any tropical place for that matter that would be a better place for kiters and nonkiters for the same price around Christmas time? The other question is what should I expect to pay for a ticket from Portland?

Thanks,
Scrib

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 10, 06 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

Scrib: Onad and I were just in La Ventana for Christmas and it was comfortably warm mid-upper 70's every day. It was a little chilly (sweatshirt) in early morning or after sundown, but still comfortable. I saw and talked to lots of non-kiters in LV and they looked like they were having a good time reading, beachcombing, exploring, kayaking, swimming, fishing, and enjoying the tasty food.

You can expect airfare to run around $400 RT to Cabo or $600+ to La Paz, but apparently Alaska Air is going to start service to La Paz this year, so that should provide lower fares from Portland.

There are lots of nice, moderately priced "casitas" for rent in LV. We highly recommend Casa Verde (www.bajmahal.com) as it's brand new, and I'm sure you could find a privately owned house near Kite Beach, too.

We've convinced our parents to come back for Christmas 2006 because it's such a great spot. Cheers, Tonski

La Ventana Bay on Christmas Day
 La Ventana Bay on Christmas Day  pelican.jpg 

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jan 11, 06 2:15 pm     Reply with quote

I've taken non-kiters to La Ventana a couple of times. In general it seemed to work well as a low-budget, sunny vacation. The weather is usually very comfortable, as Tonski says. Also, even when it's nuking in the afternoon there are wind protected spots that have a nice view of the action.

I'd offer two tips for insuring non-kiter happiness.

--> don't stay too long. I got the impression that more then 9-10 days would've been pushing it.

--> rent a car. La Paz is a nice place to visit for the occasional dinner or breakfast. Also you can drive 30 minutes south to some nice snorkeling and white sand beaches. Car rentals in MX aren't especially cheap, but you'll likely get your $ back by flying into Cabo instead of La Paz.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jan 11, 06 8:00 pm     Reply with quote

heya,
i thoughti would jump back on to this thread. . .

if you are going to drive in mexico anywhere except within a few miles of the border, consider full-coverage from your mexican rental-car place. and its expensive. mexico is governed by laws that allow the police to hold you until issues such as liability (in case of an accident, for example) are sorted out. this essentially means you are guilty until proven innocent, or until you cough up the cash

when in cabo last year we rented a small pos car for the run into ventana. cost of car for 9 days around 200usd. cost of insurance: around 300usd. think about it.

also, anyone interested in sharing a house in hatteras in eary may. great big houses durt cheap in the off season, epic places to ride, reliable wind, and airfare into norfolk )about 2 hours drive from the outer banks) last time i looked: 239 pp r.t.

jimbo

captain crusty

Since 30 Aug 2005
92 Posts
PDX

PostSat Jan 14, 06 3:48 pm    time to go Reply with quote

on my way Shocked

fuji 4 040.jpg 

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostSat Jan 14, 06 5:51 pm    SS Glide Bag? Reply with quote

Has anyone fit the SS glide into any of the NSI travel bags? Very Happy
Thanks,
Rico

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Jan 14, 06 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

Crusty, where was that picture taken? The waves look sweet!

captain crusty

Since 30 Aug 2005
92 Posts
PDX

PostSat Jan 14, 06 9:34 pm     Reply with quote

down south

captain crusty

Since 30 Aug 2005
92 Posts
PDX

PostSat Jan 14, 06 9:59 pm     Reply with quote

A break a bit closer to home not long ago..

DSC00001.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: