Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Snowkiting in Bingen; Bend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
mauiwater

PostMon Dec 05, 05 9:11 pm    Snowkiting in Bingen; Bend Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is still decent snowpack in Bingen? Watched the video on ussnowkiite and it looks awesome.

Also, does anyone know of places in Bend and Central Oregon that would be good for snowkiting?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Dec 09, 05 8:10 am    Re: Snowkiting in Bingen; Bend Reply with quote

mauiwater wrote:
Does anyone know if there is still decent snowpack in Bingen? Watched the video on ussnowkiite and it looks awesome.

Also, does anyone know of places in Bend and Central Oregon that would be good for snowkiting?

I was hoping somebody else would answer because my knowledge is limited. I know Mike from Kite-Line.com has told me they kited in Wickiup Reservoir when it had snowed. I guess the problem is usually just getting enough snow.

I kited once in Sunriver next to the airport. Jumped the fence into one of the pastures. Didn't have a lot of room, so I did a lot of turning. It was a blast though, my first snowkiting experience. I used a B5 foil (which turns like a dog, especially on the short bar I had.) Probably about a foot of fresh snow on the ground. Wind was maybe 8-10mph, but you really don't need that much in snow.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Dec 09, 05 11:07 am     Reply with quote

I have also heard east of the divide the problem is getting (and keeping) adequate snow. I have a friend in John Day whose job requires her to drive all around Eastern Oregon, and whenever I ask if she's spied some good snowkiting spots she says the same thing --- "usually windy, usually no snow".

Maybe high up Bachelor there's something, but then the problem would be getting there.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri Dec 09, 05 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

One place you may try at Bachelor is just past the snowmobile parking lot. Go to the last parking lot called Dutchman flats. There is a huge flat area there. You can walk from the parking lot. They dont let snowmobiles ride thru there anymore so you should be safe. Not sure how windy it is though.

If you go please post pics!
Mark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: