Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Comparing "Golf" Bags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Sep 13, 07 7:46 pm    Comparing "Golf" Bags Reply with quote

Looking to buy a kite "Golf" bag. Was thinking of the NSI deceiver but see that Slingshot and Best now offer "Golf" bags. Anyone done a comparison or have suggestions-comments on Slingshot-NSI or Best bags?

Thanks Question

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostThu Sep 13, 07 9:38 pm     Reply with quote

what size board you trying to carry on?
I purchased an actuall soft case golf travel bag which will fit around a 140..and it was 70 dollars. and it will fit 3 kites and gear up to the 50lbs limit. but if you need to carry a larger board the nsi works good. have not seen the other brands yet.

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostFri Sep 14, 07 12:45 am     Reply with quote

I have the NSI..works well, I think the regulargolf bag sounded great too, or the naish one that has different compartments. The Best and the SS one I haven't really seen. I think one "problem" for me when I go with the ag is I have to put even the screwdriver in the same bag as the board and kites...not really a problem.

The NSI one has held up very well, and paid itself manytimes over...but yeah if you have a chance, check them out hands on.

a.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 14, 07 1:11 am     Reply with quote

I have the Dakine Air Wagon 160. I can take 3 boards, 5 kites, and all supporting gear. I pay the over weight back charge though. It's an awesome bag you just have to get the boards strapped in nice and tight or the bag isn't rigid.

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostFri Sep 14, 07 6:17 am     Reply with quote

just traveled w/ my nsi..

fit 1 skywalker 131 board, 3 kites (7,9,12 waroo) harness and bar and it was just at exactly 50lbs.

nsi has some great padding and is very durable.

i have a 160 bag (cabrinah).. its HUGE and when packed w/ all my gear can weigh nearly 100lbs.

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 14, 07 6:42 am     Reply with quote

Great input; thanks to all the posters...

Am going to check out the SS bag today but it sounds like any of the options work just fine.

Thanks

j

Since 08 Nov 2006
94 Posts
Seattle

PostFri Sep 14, 07 7:01 am     Reply with quote

I ended up getting the Naish, and it has served me well.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri Sep 14, 07 7:09 am     Reply with quote

I have the naish one too and its great. Lots of room but not good for a long board, my a 130 and fits perfect.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Sep 14, 07 7:21 am     Reply with quote

The Naish and Slingshot ones are really nice, lots of pockets and nice mesh lining of separating gear. The NSI bag works well but its basically just one big pocket / zipper.

If you get one of the Best ones get the regular golf bag not the big blue one, that one is too big and heavy. Your biggest challenge will be keeping your bag under 50lbs to avoid overweight charges.

Forrest - I can't believe you pay the overweight charges! Just get yourself and Katie golf bags, split the gear between you both... the bags will pay for themselves in a couple trips. Hawaiian charges 80 bucks each way Shocked

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 14, 07 7:36 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Hawaiian charges 80 bucks each way Shocked

I just returned from Maui and my friends on a later flight told me they got nailed at the counter with thier gear. They had some NSI, a SS and actually a real golf bag. I don't understand the full story but the agent supposedly called the bluff and asked to confirm it was golf equipment.
You may want to travel with a club so you can open the zipper and prove you have at least a club. Most important factor will be weight. Some bags weigh considerably less. I think the NSI is heavy but it has been a workhorse for me. I use it quite frequently to travel with. I think Crazy Fly sells two different styles. the golf bag style one is extremely lightweight, but might not be as durable as NSI.
I think they should sell those with golf patches sewn on them, so it gives it more credibility. Maybe put a PGA member patch or some country club patches. I don't golf so I don't know if they do that kind of thing. I guess I could wear my blazer when checking in that would give me credibility.

stringy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Sep 14, 07 7:38 am     Reply with quote

They have called my bluff too, but I have never had to open my bag and prove it. I don't think they want to go that far.

"Is it REALLY golf equipment?"
"Yes"
"Ok" (roll their eyes, but check me in anyway)

The Naish bag has a nice little pocket on top that is perfect for golf balls if you want to go there...

Oh yeah and if you are flying domestic just check-in at the curb and drop of 5 spot on the guy... no questions ever.

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 14, 07 10:08 am     Reply with quote

Just a thought. Do you think it would help to sport the "golf" look (khaki's and a polo shirt) to avoid any questions?

Personally, I think it is rediculous that you get charged for not having golf stuff in an actual golf bag. If it fits, why the F is that not good enough!?! Alien

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostFri Sep 14, 07 10:11 am     Reply with quote

The Hawaiian air at Maui airport has a check in manager that is an A$$...she left me "stranded" where I have had to sleep in the airport because I wasn't there in time...even if I came 27 minutes before the flight leaves (you're supposed to be there 30 mins before)...she was such an ass it is hard to explain. A friend of mine has the same experience.

A.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Sep 14, 07 10:27 am     Reply with quote

They called my bluff once as well. "golf huh?" "those are some pretty damn long golf clubs you got there".

"umm, yeah, they are my dad's I said, he's like almost 7-foot tall. "

fu manchu

Since 04 Sep 2007
2 Posts

PostFri Sep 14, 07 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

Forrest,

I just bought the Air Wagon 160 for my trip to Brazil. Have you ever been charged the bag being to big? I remember reading something about getting charged extra with some airlines for a bag bigger than 62 inches...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: