Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

airlines and directional board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 03, 07 9:38 pm    airlines and directional board Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with this? I have a 5'8" liquid force directional and a 7.0 foot naish kiteboarding bag that was used for my sky pirate. any tips on how to pack it and what to expect from the airlines? I won't be surprised to be charged extra, but how much is it usually? Are the chances the surfboard will survive the trip good?

thanks!

jcohenx

Since 28 Aug 2007
248 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Sep 03, 07 10:38 pm     Reply with quote

Having packed boards on planes before, your most important consideration is keeping the nose safe.

Your best bet if you can is to crate the board in a corrugated cardboard box with reinforced ends. If your board has removable skags, remove them so the board is flatter. Wrap the nose with your wetsuit and the rest of your board with as much clothing, towels, or anything else that you can use for padding. Try to pack the ends of the crate with 2-3 inches of corrugated cardboard, styrofoam, or bags of vermiculite so the board can't float forward or backward inside the crate. My brother once got a big piece of styrofoam and cut out two pieces with holes that fit the ends of the board. Mark the crate clearly with Fragile--Handle With Care stickers.

If you cannot crate your board, try to pad the inside of your board bag in the same manner as above but you are always going to risk damage with the airlines. The sad fact of the matter is that airlines will not guarantee the safety of your board without purchasing extra insurance and that insurance is not obtainable unless the board is crated.

Each airline has different rules and restrictions regarding added weight but the general rule of thumb is they will charge a fee per pound over 50 lbs. Overseas flights usually charge more. Go to your airline website for more clear details but I also recommend that you contact the airline, let them know that you are traveling with a board, and ask them for their best recommendations.

Optimus Prime

Since 23 Jul 2007
49 Posts

PostTue Sep 04, 07 8:42 pm     Reply with quote

rent or steal one when you get to your spot ! Wink

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Sep 08, 07 6:43 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice everyone, including answers to my questions in other threads. Did make the decision to fly the 5'8' LF Surfboard to kauaii.

If anyone else decides to do so, be advised that i was not allowed to check my oversize bags at curbside ,PDX. The reason cited was security restrictions. I believe he was being truthful, although there is a chance those guys just plain didnt want to deal with it.

Borstads, I didn't realize we'd ne on the same island near the same time so I'm gonna send youse a PM. I'm staying with a good friend of mine who is a kiter. Give me a call. Its never a bad thing to have a local hook up!! Very Happy

jcohenx

Since 28 Aug 2007
248 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSat Sep 08, 07 10:52 pm    airline policies Reply with quote

Try this site.

http://www.oceansource.net/

saleeba

Since 05 Mar 2006
237 Posts
Masshole
Stoked

PostSun Sep 09, 07 6:40 pm    airlines Reply with quote

just flew back east to mass with my kites and board on continental. $95 each way for gear. FUCK CONTINENTAL!!!! would have shipped my stuff if i had known how expensive it would be. just a heads up. airlines are raising prices for everything.

Speedo

Since 07 May 2007
262 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 10, 07 12:24 am     Reply with quote

I am paying $80 each way on hawaiian air so $95 isn't that much more. Obviously it sucks to have to pay it when skis snowboards and golf bags do not have the Same penalties as we do.

At any rate, the directional made it kauaii in one piece. I might add that I did an incedibly poor job of protecting the board. Its my guess that boards will probably survive even a rudimentary pack job. And if they don't , even a bomber pack job wouldn't have been enough.

Tony b and FAM did a good job representing the northwest ! I think he was out the longest even with light winds!!

jcohenx

Since 28 Aug 2007
248 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostTue Sep 11, 07 4:35 pm     Reply with quote

untwed wrote:

At any rate, the directional made it kauaii in one piece. I might add that I did an incedibly poor job of protecting the board. Its my guess that boards will probably survive even a rudimentary pack job. And if they don't , even a bomber pack job wouldn't have been enough.

Tony b and FAM did a good job representing the northwest ! I think he was out the longest even with light winds!!

My guess is boards heading to Hawaii are probably treated better than boards to say, Mexico or Cali, just for the sheer number of surfers coming and going.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: