Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiters wife and son heckled on the sandbar grass
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Aug 02, 07 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

shredjim wrote:
tekko wrote:
CGKA did a lot of work all winter to try and gain access to the event site... but in the end and agreement was made to not push it this summer, have kiters stay at the spit and address the issue again in the fall.

If you want to be treated well as a kiter in HR... head to the spit..

From what I have seen, I agree with Tekko that we have a good thing going this year at the sand spit. At the last meeting with the Port it was agreed by all that a plan will be submitted for permit that will enable the Port to move some of the sand in front of the boat basin and that part of the sandbar to the area on the western side of the Eventsite. This will give boat access to the boat basin, but will not accomodate Sternwheelers etc. It will also provide more beachfront launch area from the Event site. The Plan does not clear the eventsite from sand blockage, just using it more of a beach launch instead of straight off the grass. Everyone knows the sandbar is going to grow to the west. The plan is not to fight it, just shape it annually to our liking.

Jim,
So does this mean the event site will "lose" the sand in front of it? It will then be put to the west on the bank.
Does that mean we (the kiters) will not be able to park or walk to the sandbar? If so, then I am AGAINST it. I like being able to park at the event site and walk to the leading edge of kiter nation.

If the dredging is going to happen anyway then lets put the sand in front of the kite spit and Pave the whole thing all the way out to the marker post. We need a bigger lot. Grass would be nice as well.

www.naishkites.com

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostThu Aug 02, 07 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

Mark-

some of the things discussed at the delta planning meeting were increased parking area for the sand spit by moving some of that sand and increasing our parking lot, but it really seemed to be too much work to happen this winter.

From what i gathered at the meeting, they are going to take sand from the western most point of the sandbar and move it in front of the event site rocks, and possibly west of the western most pier at the event site, creating more river access for windsurfers (keeping them off the bar).

A channel is then to be dug so jet skis and dingys for the kite schools can get in and out of nicols boat basin. I'm pretty sure this would be the only obstacle to manuever if you parked at the event site and walked to kiter nation. If the plan goes into action, then they are going to essentially, make it a more shallow walk from the event site to sandbar, i would think.

and just think, if there is more room for windsurfers west of the event site, then maybe there will be a little room at the eastern most end of the event site to dry kites Wink hopefully, we'll see. I'm gonna need some serious documentation, that our little walkway is not used as a swimming hole by kids and/or families coming to the event site.

-Adam

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Aug 02, 07 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

Adam thanks for the response. Keep up the good work.

Becareful dealing with the WSers and Port. They don't have us as a top priority yet. Please make sure (as best you can) that we don't get diggled.

www.naishkites.com

whitecap

Since 02 Aug 2007
5 Posts

Kook

PostThu Aug 02, 07 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

I am coming up this weekend from the bay area, and we have our own issues with long time windsurfers at rio...The irony is that the windsurfers with game would not be at the event site anyway - so who are they to heckle?

The best cure is the kids. My wife, 12 and 14 year old all kite, and the 7 year old will hang. Would not want to be the windsurfer who trys to give lip to my 14 year old...Say hey if you see some young ones unhooked riding fuels at the spit for week starting Sunday...

Is it a dry walk from the event site to the spit? We will probably hang there as it would be the nicest for our youngest...

bob

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu Aug 02, 07 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

whitecap wrote:

Is it a dry walk from the event site to the spit? We will probably hang there as it would be the nicest for our youngest...

bob

It really depends on the water level. Pretty much expect to walk through some water. Sometimes the water will go up to my waste (I'm 5'6") and sometimes the water will go up to my neck. But thats only in the deepest spot - which lasts for about 10 feet or so. The rest of the walk is generally below my waste. And there are paths that are more shallow than the others. Watch what other kiters are doing - and if no one is walking across - then follow the edge of the rocks to the Eastern part of the event site and then just keep following that same direction once you pass the rocks. Hope the wind is rocking for you and your family!!

By the way - not everyone gets heckled. I pretty much always park at the event site and no one has said a single word to me this whole season.

h2olm

Since 07 Jun 2006
124 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 02, 07 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

First off, the Event Site is full of WS from out of town. These people who were doing the heckling may not even be from HR. Most locals kite and/ or windsurf, and I think there are great sports minded people who are full of stoke that live here. Of course there will always be some ass in every crowd. It's not about them vs. us. I hate this line of thinking. I see ws get all pissy at other ws, and I see the same thing with kiters too. What if you enjoy both sports? What then? Should I make fun of myself for being a windsurfer, polesmurfer, or should I berate myself by saying that I will be going out teabagging this afternoon or I'm going to do my "dope on a rope" thing? What difference does it make if some idiot says something about what I do. We live and play in a most magical place, and I get out to enjoy it nearly everyday. I don't pay any attention to idiots. These nay sayers probably don't even windsurf nor kite, so f%^& em!

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 02, 07 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

whitecap wrote:
windsurfers with game would not be at the event site anyway - so who are they to heckle?

Thumb's Up

As a windsurfer/kiter I agree this is true (with maybe the exception of the racers). Get in the way while launching a kite at the Hatchery, now that's a hecklable offense.

The windsurfing side of me is embarassed that people would heckle somebody sitting next to their kitebag.

$5000 vacation, damn! That's a lot of smack!

windslayer

Since 30 Apr 2007
153 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 02, 07 3:17 pm     Reply with quote

I am BI-SPORTUAL and well when I go to the Eventsite, I smile and wave to all of the WS that I know. A few of them have even decided to get a trainer kite for the down days and then purchase. I appoligize for the actions of the WS that made the comments. Perhaps they are just pissed off because they have to sit there in their hot wet suits, helmets, and lifejackets, wishing they could put their ego's aside long enough to learn the sport them selves. As one wise Dale Cook said to me "If you don't try something new, you'll just be the one at the beach bitching while the rest of us are on the water!!!" ---no matter what part of the sports you feel like picking up.

So I pay my $50 to go to the EVENTSITE and the SPIT, i enjoy the grass an the short walk to the sand bar. They'll get over it.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 02, 07 8:58 pm    The spit is where it is at Reply with quote

The walk is good for you, helps loosen up the old muscles, but then again, can't waste any energy or time.

The WS at the event site typically suck or are begginners or just intermediates who suck, why else would you be there, swell, cheap and the hatch are where it is really at.

I am tired of being run down by shitty sailors, WS or Kiters for that matter, how about giving some room and looking before you turn.

Politeness doesn't end when you leave the beach.

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 03, 07 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

No beach is perfect. Back before it was 'cool' to have a Harley, I would get looks and comments at every stop. There are bad people in every group.

I hope the original poster gets a chance to read this thread and visits more friendly locations next time. It has been said many times... the Gorge is a vast place of wind!!!

KidCorporate

Since 10 Jul 2007
563 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 03, 07 10:24 pm     Reply with quote

heheheh... teabagging. That's totally what I'm going to call it to my friends from now on. "Hey Ben, what are you doing this weekend?"

"Same thing I do every weekend. Go teabagging."

harriet

Since 10 Jun 2007
64 Posts

PostSun Aug 05, 07 7:35 am     Reply with quote

When I was visiting in July, we parked at the event site. As we walked through the grassy area, clearly on our way to the sandbar, Brian yelled out from a couple hundred feet away things that I considered heckling.
When the owner of a local school is yelling things like "Hey,no kiteboarders here!",and whatever else he blabbed about, it shows it's not just a out-of-towner attitude.
While I do prefer the more obscure locations, it seemed that kiting at the sandbar was some sort of right of passage that I just had to go through.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 05, 07 8:40 am     Reply with quote

cdakiter wrote:
When I was visiting in July, we parked at the event site. As we walked through the grassy area, clearly on our way to the sandbar, Brian yelled out from a couple hundred feet away things that I considered heckling.
When the owner of a local school is yelling things like "Hey,no kiteboarders here!",and whatever else he blabbed about, it shows it's not just a out-of-towner attitude.
While I do prefer the more obscure locations, it seemed that kiting at the sandbar was some sort of right of passage that I just had to go through.

that's funny, i walked by brian yesterday with 2 kites on my back and board in hand and stopped and talked to him while he was getting ready to race. He didn't care at all that I was walking across the event site.

Are you sure it was brian and not some random dude from out of town?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1805 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 05, 07 8:59 am     Reply with quote

Brian gives me a "hard time" often about kiting. It's all in good fun with him--truly. Give it right back--in good fun--he will laugh.

Eric

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Aug 05, 07 11:12 am     Reply with quote

the length of my control stops at the end of my nose-everything from there on out is somebody else's business, and i do my best not to stress it-some days are better than others.

jimmi

"does what i am about to say improve upon the Silence?"-dean wactell

harriet

Since 10 Jun 2007
64 Posts

PostSun Aug 05, 07 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

I actually thought a bit about mentioning this, and surely don't want to spread bad vibe or rumor. People can have bad days.
Yea, I'm sure who it was, and he was yelling from quite a ways away. We weren't making small talk, or even eye contact. Just yellin' for the sake of yellin' it seemed. I was actually there with a local kiter, who mouthed something negative back, but I was suddenly super self-conscious about whether or not we should be walking through. We were walking through on the far east side of everything, so I really diddn't get it.
Now it really is no big deal, I just wasn't sure if I was breaking some kind of "code of the hood" or something. The "rules"
Growing up on the coast, I saw more than my share of localism at the surfbreaks, and that was my impression of what it was. I just thought I'd mention the fact that it's not always some kook "out of towner", necessarily.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: