Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: camera suggestions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts
Running around the pool with scissors.

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:19 pm    OT: camera suggestions. Reply with quote

I've noticed a lot of you on the board seem to be into photography. Can anyone recommend a decent, but low priced, digital SLR camera. There seems to be a million different ones with varied prices. Thanks

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Jul 18, 07 11:30 pm     Reply with quote

The Nikon D50 seems to be a popular one! I'm still using my old D70, and it works, but it's nothing special. Rico just got a NEW, BADASS D200 and Carl has one too.

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostThu Jul 19, 07 2:36 am     Reply with quote

I like the rebel..if you are not out after all the newest bells anewhistles...getting the second to last one should give you a really good price.

THe new one does have some really nice upgrades though.

a.ex

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 19, 07 5:20 am     Reply with quote

brokenlizard
here is a link to a previous discussion on the topic.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-4646.html&highlight=hein

stringy

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostThu Jul 19, 07 7:07 am     Reply with quote

We've got the Nikon D80 and it seems to work well. Pretty fast, lots of options, still learning how to use all of the advanced stuff. So far only two lenses but it seems to be working out pretty well. The main thing is to know what your primary subject will be - if you're going after sports and action make sure the camera is fast and can take at least 3 frames per second. Memory cards make a difference as well - buy the one with higher specs even though it costs a little more. And get two of them!

Tony

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Jul 19, 07 7:30 am     Reply with quote

I am a big fan of the Canon cameras. They have great lens's that you can move from camera body to body. Here is a good link to review all the digital cameras on the market.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Mark

Remember spend more on the lens than the camera. You will always keep the lens and rotate thru bodies every couple of years.

www.naishkites.com

railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostThu Jul 19, 07 11:18 am     Reply with quote

If you are planning on surf photography, see what waterhousing and waterproof bag options are out there first. This could also help you choose what lens to buy. My Canon EOS system has served me very well for all of my sports photography. When I bought my gear, one of my big decisions was whether to go for higher megapixels or frames per second.

Ethan

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostThu Jul 19, 07 11:40 am     Reply with quote

I love my Pentax K10D however.....
Most photgraphers will prefer Canon and Nikon for their reputation and are not willing to look much further.
The K10D has features that no other Digital SLR offers.
1. the camera is weather sealed, so water, dirt and dust are a non-issue
2. the body has the image stabilization built into it. This means that any lens will become an image stabilized lens. This feature doesn't not slow the camera down like the others do.
3. the exposure control has a few programs that are uniique. There is a sensor priority and a shutter/aperature priorty mode as well, when in this mode that camera adjust the sesor speed (iso) automatically.
4. there is a raw button....push it once and the next frame will be formatted in raw with jpeg.
5. there is a continuous and single frame af switch that can focus at 3 frames a second.
6. 10.2 mp like the others
7. this camera is priced like the lower models of the competetors.

The downside of the K10D is that the hot new lenses have not hit the market yet. The first three will be available in August.

www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091305pentaxk10dpreviewed.asp - 27k - http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/product_details/digital_camera--K10D/reqID--8793673/subsection--digital_slr

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06092102pentaxdastarlenses.asp

CarrotHead

Since 05 Jul 2007
35 Posts
Once Seattle, now Portland

PostThu Jul 19, 07 11:43 am     Reply with quote

i had a friend who said she went and looked at the new shockproof and waterproof olympus camera and was quite impressed. she said the salesman slammed the LCD on the corner of the sales counter hard and it wasn't phased. I am not sure what the optics or photo quality is, but i imagine in this day and age most cameras are pretty darn good. My next camera will be shock/water proof for sure.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/EVENTS/PMAS06/1138253342.html

dangerD

Since 27 Jun 2005
223 Posts
Bingen Heights
Stoked

PostThu Jul 19, 07 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

The Nikon D80 is right for you

brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts
Running around the pool with scissors.

PostThu Jul 19, 07 2:03 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I think I'm going to start looking for a used Nikon d40. Seems to be plenty of available accessories and lenses for it.

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 20, 07 4:49 pm    H2O housing? Reply with quote

What type of housings/bags are people using for their camera's. I have a D70 and looking for something to keep it dry.

Any idea's

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 21, 07 6:50 pm     Reply with quote

Each camera typically has it own housing.

I choose mine a few years back because the housing was good to 40 meters not 3.

Housing first camera second. The cannon housing for my SD 550 rocks, isn't as good as the SLRs, but still kicks with 60 fps video to the size of your card!

Also besides the second card, which you only get if you have the biggest card already, or can cost effective get smaller, get a second battery, it sucks when you run out of battery. the laptop can be used to download the shots and clean the card.

rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 21, 07 10:15 pm     Reply with quote

i read that the olympus stylus 770sw is supposed to be a water proof digital camera. I think I read in Kiteboarding Magazine. It sounds cool, i'd be interested to hear from someone that has owned one whether or not it really works.

So I am now looking at the review in the magazine. The pic they have that they took while kiting is in Hood River. Hopefully the person who wrote this will chime in and let us know.

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 24, 07 7:19 am     Reply with quote

Regards,

I see no one mentioned the Sony A100?

It was digital camera of the year for 06...

Sony bought out Minolta last year, and produced the A100 to support those Millions and Millions of first class Minolta glass already out there..

sure Nikon, Cannon, whatever...

Sony makes their sensors, same for the Panisonic, plus Konica-Minolta now Sony also designed and holds the patent on the in body image stabilization...

In short, no contest...

10.2 mega pixels, in body image stabilization (all lenses are stabilized) plus some 20 million lenses floating around on the used market....CHEAP

For me, (been a Minolta guy for twenty plus years) it was a no brainier...

Sony A100 DSLR, it just needs to be said...

fokiten

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=sony_dslra100

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=sony_dslra100%2Cnikon_d200&show=all

Any Questions?

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 26, 07 2:16 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, Why?

Just kidding.

Hey Fo, I’ve missed you.

What have you been up to? Getting some kiting in I hope?

~D

fokiten wrote:
Regards......

Any Questions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: