Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Question about 2006 best bar?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Jul 25, 07 8:02 am    Question about 2006 best bar? Reply with quote

Where does the leash attach to on a 2006 Best Bar? Does it go up by the OSR handles? If so, how do you unwind your lines if your lines get twisted?

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 25, 07 8:30 am     Reply with quote

I attach mine to the little steel ring on the Chicken loop.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Jul 25, 07 8:33 am     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
I attach mine to the little steel ring on the Chicken loop.

THat looked like a pretty good place - but have youever had to self-rescue? If so, what happens?

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 25, 07 8:57 am     Reply with quote

i haven't HAD to self-rescue, though I've done it for practice...
I'm not sure I see the correlation though... i detach my leash and attach it to my board (my leash is now going from harness to board).... then I climb up one of the rear lines a bit and then wind up the lines on my way to the kite (the one I climbed up is considerably shorter than the others).... then I grab the kite and drag my self into shore.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Jul 25, 07 9:23 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation. The self-rescue process works just a little different with a 5th line kite. I stay attached to the fifth line while my bar floats away. Then I drag myself to the bar, wrap up the fifth line on the bar, then wrap all five lines together until I get to the kite. During the self-rescue process your kite only has tension on the 5th line so it is pretty much depowered the whole time.

BUt the process you described seems like it will work just fine. Thanks man.

hedquista

Since 13 Apr 2007
72 Posts
Salt lake city

PostWed Jul 25, 07 9:37 am     Reply with quote

i think it was originally supposed to attach to the OSR so the kite would flag out and be depowered but i dont do that. i attach mine to the center line above the chicken loop. i have had too many problems with the chicken loop popping off or tearing at the emergency release.

flying elvis has it nailed on the self resuce though

keats

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostWed Jul 25, 07 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

A different method of self rescue is to keep your leash attached to the kite and attach the other end to the board. Then instead of rolling up the lines just work youyr way up one outside line to the kite. The lines should trail downwind of you in the water while you self rescue to shore. You then minimize the chance to get tangled in the lines, and should have less of a mess when you get to shore.

cosmodog

Since 06 Oct 2005
201 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 25, 07 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

My wife had a slight kitemare using the 2006 Best bar. The center lines are sewn into the depower strap and the stiching came out.
So the center lines ended up uneven by ~6 in and you can not compensate with the bar. This happened on launch she was lucky not to get hurt.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 25, 07 9:31 pm     Reply with quote

leash on CL for riding. if you need to flag it out for self rescue, move leash to OS handle. after kite is flagged out, bar toward kite, one line in hand--then you can attach leash to board, and follow that line up.

in theory you can just hold the OS handle while you eject, but it wouldn't take much force for you to let the kite go--gone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: