Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Can CGKA please review this policy to stop the drama

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 25, 07 10:39 pm    Can CGKA please review this policy to stop the drama Reply with quote

Phil please delete this if you feel it is not relevant.

Can we please make a proposal that the CGKA review the needs of dog owners and kite users at the Sandbar to then make a decision that would be in the best interest of both users.

I had some recent dog issues with a doberman pincher barking and chasing me up and down the beach the other night. The dog at first seemed interesting, but then, it started to get annoyingly close and freaking me out.

Anyways, I think that it would be a good idea for both users if the CGKA could take the opportunity to review this and try to present some guidelines for dog owners and kiters to use at the Sandbar to help avoid future incidents of this nature.

Thanks
Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jun 26, 07 12:23 am     Reply with quote

Hey Pepi,

It is not fair to try to drag CGKA into the dog issue. If forced into this situation, (which we don't want to have to do) CGKA will support the Port's rules, ie during the daytime dogs will be on the sandbar on a leash only. That will not make the dog owners happy which is NOT our intent. Since I am posting from my signon instead of CGKA, I can tell that the other day I had a dog swimming right next to my student I was teaching on the northwestern tip of the sandbar. We had to get the dog to go away before my student could attempt a waterstart. Meanwhile a woman who was taking a lesson and practicing in the pool east of the sandbar tip had her two daughters ages 5-8 running around unsupervised - I guess so she didn't have to pay for a baby sitter as well as pay for kite lessons. Meanwhile her boyfriend was riding his kiteboard right through my students kite path where the student had to be real careful to not wrap lines. Then I noticed he had one of the little girls riding on his back without a lifejacket or helmet in shallow water. At the time I was thinking, WOW what is going to be next! If you guys want I can get the Port to post on this topic. I can tell you that their response will be for dog owners to please use the MARINA instead of the SPIT for dog play, swimming etc. They will not support kiteboarders riding while their dogs are off leash on the sandbar, but everyone knows this anyway.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 26, 07 12:56 am    Subject Closed. Reply with quote

Hi Jim :

Thanks for the reply.
I totally understand your point.

Ideally these postings will hopefully reach out to the greater kite community and people will attempt to make the most respectful decisions possible for handling their dogs and for kiters to respond when around loose dogs.

Let's consider this post closed and continue to work on keeping the peace!

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Bonetti

Since 29 Apr 2007
411 Posts
So. Cal./Oregon
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 26, 07 5:00 am    The Dogs Reply with quote

Well whe the heck is a student trying to waterstart so close to shore for? If you ask me I think thats more dangerous than any dog on the sandbar!!! You guys want to start bitching about dogs on the sand bar try keeping it safe with beginners starting way up wind with a ski or way down wind on the shore! You dont know how many times I've seen people getting lessons in like 1-2 feet of water I know I would'nt feel safe doing that when I was learning espicaly with the winds that come through the Hood. And yea I agree if your dog bites people dont bring them or tie them up!!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: