Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

To the Port of Hood river

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Jun 25, 07 4:42 pm    To the Port of Hood river Reply with quote

I would just like to point out some of the economic reasons Kiting is helping Hood river.

On the first clean up we had an estimated 200 people show up. On the second about 50 so 250 people at $10/hour = $2500/hr. Figure they worked 10 hours so, $25,000 for the day. (of course they worked longer but also played!)
Diesel 130 gallons the first burn not sure of the second. so 130x$3 =$390
Plus food spent, rooms rented, gas for cars ect. Of course they are also buying kites and other sporting gear.

The point is even if we take 1/2 of that amount say an even $12,000. The Kiters are benifiting Hood river.

I have been kiting the Hood now quite abit. On average I see at least 3 times as many kiters as windsurfers. I realize alot of windsurfers have gone to other sites that favor their sport. Hood river has become a mecca for Kiters.

In August we are having a charitable fund raiser for curing Cancer.

The point is Kiters should be seen for what we are:
An upcoming sport that is exploding in numbers. Hopefully you can see this as well. I look forward to doing more with the Port in the future.

Thanks for your time,
Mark

www.naishkites.com

Last edited by Mark on Mon Jun 25, 07 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 25, 07 5:34 pm     Reply with quote

Please add:
$136 - Stihl Chansaw Bar/Chain/Carborator linkage
I started the day like a surgeon, cleaning all the sand off the logs, ended it not giving a shit. Saw suffered.
Please discount that amount from my accumulated City of Hood River parking tickets over the years.

Glad there weren't any logs around about 3:45 Sunday- Gust from Hell cleaning the beach of all unsecured rigs.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jun 25, 07 10:03 pm     Reply with quote

Probably going to be a couple hundred bucks going directly to the Port from me alone for HR bridge tickets by the end of the year.

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jun 25, 07 10:49 pm     Reply with quote

Folks, please be aware that the Port has been EXTREMELY cool with us for a while now as they led me down the path of the approval process for our cleanups. They are happy with our kiteboarding community and are proud of our efforts of cleaning up our backyard. Please keep in mind that the productive side of this relationship is just now in the making. There is much that we can obtain from continuing the positive progression, like more and better kiteboard access to the River. Everyone knows that the sand in front of the boat basin and the Event Site has to go somewhere sometime soon right? Personally, I really liked driving my SUV out on the sandbar and rigging my kite setup right next to my car this weekend Smile Does anyone want a repeat for a end of summer closure party? Keep things positive where they need to be!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: