Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

trip to gorge in August

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostMon Jun 25, 07 6:36 am    trip to gorge in August Reply with quote

I finally got my sh*t together..
Heading to the Gorge for 2 week trip in mid August.

Checking wind graphs from last year it looks to be as windy as i could ever dream. We are lulling here in Florida and I am going in-frickin-sane. By August I will be clinical.

So..

As a 195 lb rider .. you think a 7 / 9 / 12 combo would suffice? Any chance in this world that I would need to pack my 16m? (I fly waroos)

Water temp at this time? Just board-shorts .. spring suit? Would I need to bring my full?

Thanks for any advice. Cant wait.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostMon Jun 25, 07 6:44 am     Reply with quote

You will be fine with the 7, 9, 12

By our standards the water is super warm in August, and locals are riding sans neoprene, but it wouldn't hurt to pack a shorty.

If you plan on going to the coast (which you should) bring a full suit.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon Jun 25, 07 8:33 am     Reply with quote

Also, plan on being in town on Aug 25th for the KB4C Kiteboard event at the Event Site and the AfterParty at the River City Saloon !

If you are a kiteboarder, this is the event you will absolutely not want to miss.
PLUS, it is an fundraiser event with a great cause.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostMon Jun 25, 07 8:46 am     Reply with quote

ahhh...

flying back to Florida on the 24th..

hope to catch up on some pre-event events..

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostMon Jun 25, 07 9:06 am     Reply with quote

Hi Blieghty,

I flay Waroo's as well and I'd recommend your 9, 12, & 16. August can get a little light sometimes when the annual heat wave comes around. I've never used anything less than a 9m in the Gorge and I weigh 160 lbs. I like to ride with a little extra power though! Mr. Green

Tony

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Jun 25, 07 9:21 am     Reply with quote

Depends on where he's riding though. If you head way out east (Dougs to Rufus), I still think it'd be good to have the 7 as well. When it's blowing 35-40, even a 9m isn't all that fun... Surprised

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostMon Jun 25, 07 9:33 am     Reply with quote

Good point - I tend to base my kite size opinions on the winds around Stevenson and HR. I don't get out east as much as I should. Nor the coast. We hope to change that this summer and get out a little more than we did last year.

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostMon Jun 25, 07 9:35 am     Reply with quote

thanks.. i'll bring all my kites.. would rather be safe than sorry. should not be an issue with luggage (hope not).

Is there an online map of launch areas for the Gorge?

Anything with launch points and details (hazzards, parking access, etc) would be great.

Any secret spots anyone could PM me about?

I'll be camping on the trip for most of the nights.. just traveling by car from point to point.

cant wait.

crasher

Since 21 Jul 2005
23 Posts
Long Island, NY

PostMon Jun 25, 07 11:24 am     Reply with quote

You know how it goes. If you don't bring it, you'll need it. I think it's a good idea to bring them all, based on my last two trips out to the Gorge in August. More important, IMHO is make sure you don't bring too big of a board. I made the mistake of only bringing my Float 133 last year and nearly killed myself in the Rufus "Devil winds". Tough to hold an edge on that board when it's nukin' in the Gorge.

Just make sure your bag weighs less than 50 lbs to avoid any hassle from the airline. Another good tip is to use curbside check-in. They will be less likely to give you a hard time about the size and weight of the bag.

Have fun, I'll see you out there!

Craig

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostMon Jun 25, 07 11:54 am     Reply with quote

I weigh about 200 lbs, and fly Waroo's. I typically the 7, 9 and 12, but I have been out on the 5m as well. I would strongly recommend you bring the 7, since I have been blown off the water on my 9 m when its gusting to 40. The 12m is my biggest kite, don't think you would have any use for the 16m, but I also have a glide. The 12m and glide is a great light wind combo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: