Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How big is kiting in the Gorge?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSat Jun 23, 07 4:57 am     Reply with quote

I would believe that Florida has a bigger scene than Hood River just because of the population density of Florida vs. Oregon. I think Oregon has pretty much all you can ask for as far as the sport goes however. The beach with waves, and driving on the beach for downwinders, flat water, and swell in the river, and wind pretty much all year round.

I am not sure that the coast will ever take over as a bigger scene than Hood River. Hood is a lot more convenient for a lot of people, and the current makes learning nice. Also, it seems to me that a lot of the growth in the sport is driven by ex-windsurfers who are used to coming to the gorge, or have a place in/around Hood. I personally love riding in the ocean, just wish it was a bit warmer up here Smile

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Jun 23, 07 4:56 pm     Reply with quote

Florida figures...

Lots of coastline
Warm
Tons of people
Retired folks with nothing to do
Wakeboarders

Some wind too, though I think far less than us unless a Hurricane is in the area. Their mushy wind waves don't really match up to the OC either. Very Happy

Thanks for the info Scott!

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostMon Jun 25, 07 6:42 am     Reply with quote

scottnorby wrote:

No question that Florida has, by far, the most kiter density.
At one point in 2004 the kite sales in Florida alone were equal to the sales in the rest of the U.S.

question on this..

in Florida in St. Augustine there is Extreme Kites.

They are a huge retailer of gear. A local rider to my area (St.Petersburg, FL) worked there for over a year and would relay to me the vast numbers of daily sales.

Now.. most all of these sales were being shipped out of the state..

But.. would your data refer to these sales as "florida" sales due to where they were purchased?

We def. have a HUGE number of riders and its growing faster than I hoped it would .. launches are packed full on most days and its becoming a quick reality that we need to do something about new riders vs us guys w/ 3 years or more under our belts..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: