Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sandbar Work Party Preliminary Plan!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostThu May 17, 07 11:47 am    Sandbar Work Party Preliminary Plan! Reply with quote

At 1:00 PM this Saturday May 19th, we will have a group meeting with everyone who shows up to help. We will organize teams by 4x4 pickup trucks with one team leader per truck and about 6 people. The plan is to make at least one burn pile on the Northeastern end of the sandbar. We may go to a two pile strategy if necessary due to location of wood. We will be walking the sandbar at about 12:15 to make the decisions on burn pile location and big piece removal, possible cutting and movement to burn pile location.

Due to some of the huge deadheads being in water, we will need one team of strong guys in wetsuits - Volunteers? After we get the wet wood on dry sand, you can change into your dry clothing and then get warm by the fire. We will collect all of the smaller dryer wood first to form the basis of the fire. We will cut some pieces to make them easier to burn. We will need several trucks to move rocks, and then put them on the rock pile on the north end of the parking lot like we did last year.

I sense a strong amount of good energy coming into place, now all we need is more 4x4 pickup trucks Very Happy

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu May 17, 07 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

Be very careful with logs in the water. Dislodge them just a little bit and they can roll, crushing guys or pinning them underwater.

Is there going to be someone there who has experience in this kind of work? If not, I'll be the first to volunteer $20 to hire somebody who does. I can't be there so hell, I'll chip in $40. I'm sure we can raise enough to bring somebody in. This is a great effort, but I really don't want to see anyone hurt.

Nak

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostThu May 17, 07 1:01 pm    Low hanging fruit Reply with quote

I would like to see the plan to focus on the Low Hanging Fruit. Getting as much done as possible, and not wasting time on impossible tasks.

Time management will be a critical part and it will be windy, so everyone is going to want to be doing something else.

Safety cannot be over emphasized. Especially with winches and chains, 4x4s yanking, things break, slip, etc, and when they do, bad things can occur.

For the fire, a Box of Presto Logs would be a great fire starter, I think I have at least 4 of the 6 pounders I can donate.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostThu May 17, 07 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Is there going to be someone there who has experience in this kind of work?

i have experience winching logs around and i fully know the dangers associated with it. i'm hoping my dad will be able to help out, because he has tons of experience doing shit like this (25+ years being a private contractor for the US forest service) but if not, i know what i'm doing.

It will be kinda sketch securing the winch to a trailer hitch on a truck, but that's the way it has to be. Since i can't go kiting today, because i'm on call for work, i'm going to head down to the sandbar after work and investigate how buried most of the logs are. I think moving the logs is going to be fairly easy, it will be dislodging them from the sand that will be the challenge, but with chainsaws and shovels we should be able to git 'er done.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu May 17, 07 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

Ok - great plan. But how long is this supposed to take? Is there any chance to get some kiting on Saturday? Maybe we could start earlier so that we could finish earlier and kite.

I need my fix and I can only get my fix on the weekends Sad

Thoughts?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu May 17, 07 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

magicmaker wrote:
Nak wrote:
Is there going to be someone there who has experience in this kind of work?

i have experience winching logs around and i fully know the dangers associated with it. i'm hoping my dad will be able to help out, because he has tons of experience doing shit like this (25+ years being a private contractor for the US forest service) but if not, i know what i'm doing.

It will be kinda sketch securing the winch to a trailer hitch on a truck, but that's the way it has to be. Since i can't go kiting today, because i'm on call for work, i'm going to head down to the sandbar after work and investigate how buried most of the logs are. I think moving the logs is going to be fairly easy, it will be dislodging them from the sand that will be the challenge, but with chainsaws and shovels we should be able to git 'er done.
Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostThu May 17, 07 1:47 pm     Reply with quote

Nak- you could donate your 40 dollars into a keg fund, i'll match it, then we only need 30 more bux to get a keg from fullsail, i'm sure we can come up with 30 more dollars. A keg would really make for one helluva bonnfire. Drunk Drunk

terremoto- i'm hoping the wind will blow saturday morning so i can get a morning sesh, but it is supposed to be somewhat cloudy and almost definately gusty. might just have to take one for the team and take a day off from kiting Shocked

we wont be missing much if the forecast holds true for Saturday:
The cold front and associated trough move inland during the day. Gorge gradients increase behind the front but wind looks gusty and inconsistent. Best bet for wind should be east of The Dalles later in the day with a gusty 20-25 out of the west. Central Gorge west 16-20 and very gusty. Showers may make is as far east as Hood River. Coastal sites cloudy with showers and SW to west wind in the 10-14 range. West swell 4 feet.

we do however plan on working until dusk/dark. i have no idea how long it will take

Portland Pete

Since 08 Mar 2005
145 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostThu May 17, 07 2:15 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with the low hanging fruit concept

Save the real big ones for last

All I have is a shovel

1PM seems a little late in the day

I will probably show up earlier with a shovel and
dig out out around the larger logs

hopefully the wind won't fill sand back in around the logs

Pete

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostThu May 17, 07 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

Portland Pete wrote:

1PM seems a little late in the day

We set the time at 1:00 PM to give people time to take care of business, chores etc. or kiteboard before our work party. Last year our work party went from 6:00 PM until 8:30 PM and look how much we got done. We moved at least 10 tons of rock and made our sandbar MUCH better for everyone. Carlos will be at the spit starting at 9:00 AM if people want to work earlier. If we have the bulk of people starting at 1:00 PM we can be more organized and we can get more done in coordinated efforts with many people. We should have it all cleaned up by 6:00 PM then it will be time to roast some hotdogs and have a beer!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu May 17, 07 3:16 pm     Reply with quote

magicmaker wrote:
Nak- you could donate your 40 dollars into a keg fund, i'll match it, then we only need 30 more bux to get a keg from fullsail, i'm sure we can come up with 30 more dollars. A keg would really make for one helluva bonnfire. Drunk Drunk

Thumb's Up

Magic, you match it and I'm in for $40. Very Happy One caveat, It's for a "Refreshments fund"... What those refreshments are, I have no control over.... (Been burned by lawyers once too many times! Evil or Very Mad ) I'm in Asia right now, but I can cut a check when I get back or send via paypal?

Nak

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu May 17, 07 4:31 pm     Reply with quote

If all we need is $30 for a keg.... then I am in. I will drop the final $30.
Cool Drunk
mmmm beer and chainsaws!

www.naishkites.com

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostThu May 17, 07 8:27 pm     Reply with quote

i will pitch in another $40 for food and refreshments. i also will donate a new webber briquette grill to the cgka and bring it down for grilling if needed. it should be a good addition to the sandspit for saturday cleanup and future sandspit festivities. nothing better than beer, dogs and chips after a good hard day of work.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu May 17, 07 9:39 pm     Reply with quote

Is anyone going to have some nwkite.com stickers at this clean up? I would like to buy a couple to put on my car.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu May 17, 07 9:45 pm     Reply with quote

terremoto wrote:
Is anyone going to have some nwkite.com stickers at this clean up? I would like to buy a couple to put on my car.

I'll try to remember to throw a few in the car before I leave PDX tomorrow.

Sounds like its going to be a good work party. Very Happy

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu May 17, 07 10:34 pm     Reply with quote

I'm sending magicmaker my $40 when I return to the States on Monday. Sounds like you guys will have a hell of a work party! Anyone working all day on the spit sure deserves it. Glad I could contribute something. Very Happy

Many thanks to magicmaker for covering my $40 until I return!

Nak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: