Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Respect the Event Site please.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostFri Apr 20, 07 3:41 pm     Reply with quote

h2olm wrote:

I'm with Stringy and I will rig my kite on sand and leave the grass to the landlocked masses.

That is probably the best way to handle the situation. I'll stick to the sand bar for rigging up, drying out, landing, launching, drinking, and so forth.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri Apr 20, 07 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

Remember they want 600' of the sandbar as well.

www.naishkites.com

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostFri Apr 20, 07 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

DownStream wrote:
why do you guys like the sandbar, anyway? its a huge area that we can no longer ride.

I would prefer a much smaller sand bar so that we can ride in more area. However, we have what we have - and this Kiteboarding contentant isn't all that bad. I don't think were getting screwed by the KBC.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostFri Apr 20, 07 3:52 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Remember they want 600' of the sandbar as well.

That actually does kinda suck! Does anyone feel the need to break out some KY jelly here?

kitekid

Since 15 Apr 2007
170 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Apr 20, 07 4:31 pm     Reply with quote

you guys are lucky you get wind every day pretty much in the summer down here in medford during the summer we get it every day pluse a crowded day is 3 kiters.

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Apr 21, 07 8:06 am     Reply with quote

Stringy and H2olm have the right attitude here! Thanks for the positive attitude and passing it along.

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Apr 21, 07 8:58 am     Reply with quote

they want 600 fet of sandbar, they should also have it. think about the safety aspect of things. no way kiters and windsurfers should be mixing that close to shore in such a tight spot with plenty of fixed objects to collide with.... event site and windsurfers have been there a lot longer than kiters, whether it be for respect or for safety there is no reason not to happily "give" 600 feet...

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 21, 07 10:13 am     Reply with quote

I don't think anyone wants to compromise saftey - That is not the issue. It is about how we achieve it. It is about giving up access that we will not recover. We all have enough common sense to stay away from hordes of windsurfers when we need to. Pass that information on to newbies and non-locals if they don't quite get it. If the wind is marginal, and there are no w-surfers around it would be nice to use that space. Keep it like it has been. Let the w-surfers have thier Event Site. Let the kiters have the sand bar. Respect other peoples rights on and off the water. Use good common sense. Learn to share the waterfront with all users. This will help increase the saftey for everyone. Why are we un-willing to give it a try? - C

windslayer

Since 30 Apr 2007
153 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 30, 07 10:18 am     Reply with quote

Whatz the newz on the "kite lauch site" issues? Do I have an "APPROVED" place to be when I get home? I kind of like the idea of using the east part of the eventsite. It is part of my money that helped build that place anyway!! ANd really as far as sharing the new continant, well, it's sort of large and I feel that it can accomidate both sports. Besides, the class of windsurfers that are at the event site dont want to associate with the kite community anyway. And also, I am a windsurfer in high winds, and I don't want the event site sailors at the hatch!!

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostMon Apr 30, 07 10:24 am     Reply with quote

I was out kiting this weekend and saw several kites being pumped up and dried on the east side of the event site.

I gotta tell you - if I was a beginner and saw these kites hanging out on the event site I would simply rig up my lines and launch from the grass. Swimming to the sand bar isn't a lot of fun.

I don't know if pumping and drying is OK on the grass - but if people are going to do this then we NEED to get some signs up that say - no kite launching or landing. and if pumping and drying on the grass is not cool - then we NEED to get some signs up that say that to. There are going to be a lot of new peope that simply don't know the event site rules.

We can fight over what the rules are - but once the rules have been determined - its important that we follow them.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Apr 30, 07 10:35 am     Reply with quote

terremoto wrote:
I don't know if pumping and drying is OK on the grass - but if people are going to do this then we NEED to get some signs up that say - no kite launching or landing. and if pumping and drying on the grass is not cool - then we NEED to get some signs up that say that to. There are going to be a lot of new peope that simply don't know the event site rules.

We can fight over what the rules are - but once the rules have been determined - its important that we follow them.

There is a small yellow sign right by the grass that says "No Kiteboardng Allowed from this Site"

To me it seemed like it was a busy weekend (for kiters at least) and it was very much drama free at the Event Site. Windsurfers and Kiters were co-existing and staying out of each others way as far as I could tell. Windsurfers were breaking the no planning/jybing rule and kiters were breaking the no kites on the grass rule. But pretty much people were staying out of each other's way as far as I could tell.

Did you guys notice that there's a soda machine with cold beverages by the bathrooms. Fucking awesome. Thumb's Up

windslayer

Since 30 Apr 2007
153 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 30, 07 10:37 am     Reply with quote

I agree. Thankx. Howz the h20 temp? I'm in LK Havasu. Been 9m-12m several days this month. Suprisingly enough.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostMon Apr 30, 07 10:41 am     Reply with quote

windslayer wrote:
I agree. Thankx. Howz the h20 temp? I'm in LK Havasu. Been 9m-12m several days this month. Suprisingly enough.

Water temperature was pretty good - I was in a 5/3 and plenty warm. I didn't need booties or gloves.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Apr 30, 07 12:45 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:

There is a small yellow sign right by the grass that says "No Kiteboardng Allowed from this Site"

Actually it says "Kiteboarding allowed from this site" Thumb's Up
The "no" has been blacked out.

www.naishkites.com

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostMon Apr 30, 07 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

Man, I hate spreading rumors, but I know this is a hot issue for you guys so this is what I heard from a pretty reliable source. The kites on the grass aren't an issue so long as there are no lines attached. So it seems you can pump up at the Event Site, and walk your kite out, or hang out on the Event Site grass. Sorry I can't say that's for sure, but it came from a guy who really has his finger on the pulse of the situation.
As a windsurfer, I don't see the issue with days like Sunday. Plenty of room for everyone, and no reason why kites can't be on the grass.
The only thing that bothered me was having kiters fly their rig right over top of me. One guy was really cool about it, lifted the kite way up for me, smiled and said "hi". Some other dufus was kiting away from me, looked back and saw me, then turned around, kited over top of me, turned around and put the kite over me again.
I know when the windsurfers are slogging it must seem like "open season" on us, but I tell ya, it just isn't cool. If the kiter loses control and drops the kite, its me who's going to get hurt. Earlier in the day I was in the swell by the White Salmon, and there was a guy kiting up there. As I passed him, he smiled and waved, I smiled and waved back. We totally watched out for each other, and there was no issues at all, great vibe really. If people kite like that, this will work. If kiters go out there to "buzz" windsurfers when their ass is hanging out because the freakin wind died to nothin, then its going to be a problem, which is really too bad because I think days like Saturday and Sunday show how well for the most part we can all get along.

wakeup

Since 11 Sep 2005
328 Posts
always
Obsessed

PostTue May 01, 07 7:36 am     Reply with quote

f%$# the event site

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostTue May 01, 07 8:50 am     Reply with quote

[quote="pkh"]
terremoto wrote:

Did you guys notice that there's a soda machine with cold beverages by the bathrooms. Fucking awesome. Thumb's Up

We really are simple beings aren't we. Reminds me of the Far Side cartoon where you see a bunch of brilliant scientists bolting out of a classroom to meet a Good Humor Ice Cream Truck. ..........Now where's the cookie machine dammit !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: