Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Man(zo) Up -multi-set/frothy mahem -wing survival guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
317 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostTue May 14, 24 8:46 am    Man(zo) Up -multi-set/frothy mahem -wing survival guide Reply with quote

Going to Manzanita and bringing winging gear. I am not looking forward to attempting to get-out. Any tips?

Cue-up Symphony of Destruction...

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
886 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue May 14, 24 9:06 am     Reply with quote

Have all your equipment price marked for the yard sale. Laughing

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
396 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostTue May 14, 24 9:15 am     Reply with quote

Jim, you'll have to give me some intel on the destruction, errr trip... wanting to try a coast session soon as well.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2069 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue May 14, 24 10:12 am    Re: Man(zo) Up -multi-set/frothy mahem -wing survival guide Reply with quote

TravisBickleRex wrote:
Going to Manzanita and bringing winging gear. I am not looking forward to attempting to get-out. Any tips?

Cue-up Symphony of Destruction...

Per your request, sir.

Advice. . . go on a much smaller day.

Forecast today:
"Today
N wind 20 to 25 kt. Gusts to 30 kt. Combined seas 9 ft with a dominant period of 12 seconds.
Tonight
N wind 20 to 25 kt. Gusts to 30 kt. Combined seas 7 ft with a dominant period of 12 seconds."

Link

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
543 Posts

Addicted

PostTue May 14, 24 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

dang man. when i read this, i started thinking about those lobster traps in the surf zone that parks&rec cut away (part of an older post) and getting hung up on that crap with the mast.

it does sound carnal, but im betting you'll pull it off

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1477 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 15, 24 10:31 am     Reply with quote

you're gonna want to lie on your board and hand paddle out past the impact zone. It's better for your hand wing to be attached to your waist.... you don't want to be paddling a board with your leash attached to your wrist.
When you go out, put your wing on the water (downwind and upside down so it doesn't flop around). Use both hands to manage your board and foil.
a short mast (80-85) will help.
as soon as you're chest deep - lie on your board and paddle, paddle, paddle. You may have to duck dive under a breaking wave.... or 2. Don't attempt to get on board and foil in the impact zone. Once your up - stay outside and don't go near breaking waves.
Oh - and make sure your wing leash is fresh Wink

Last edited by ldhr on Wed May 15, 24 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
317 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostWed May 15, 24 12:59 pm    thanks Reply with quote

Okay, thanks LD, that's exactly the specific advice that I was hoping to get. I think I will only attempt to go-out if it looks...manageable, and will bring kiting gear, and plan to kite if I think I'll very likely take an explosetanic beatdown wing swimming through destructo-froth.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
396 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostFri May 17, 24 2:09 pm    Re: thanks Reply with quote

TravisBickleRex wrote:
Okay, thanks LD, that's exactly the specific advice that I was hoping to get. I think I will only attempt to go-out if it looks...manageable, and will bring kiting gear, and plan to kite if I think I'll very likely take an explosetanic beatdown wing swimming through destructo-froth.

Great tips Laird.

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
317 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostWed May 22, 24 4:33 am    Epilogue Reply with quote

Struggle within, triggered again...now the candle burns at both ends.... Suffice it to say Manzo dished-up-it-up with short period, impending disaster froth on Friday. I used my Illusion (1 and 2) - everything...even the throwaway tracks...(which are most of 'em), and merely ended-up wading to chest deep crashing surf, or sideways swims, with occasional explosive sets depositing their furry on my head. It was not pretty. I didn't get, even close to outa the beatdown zone. The next morning, I looked-out from the dunes, and it would have been do-able, if there'd been wind. I selected exactly the wrong time to attempt to try in the tide cycle, and the height/period.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1810 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed May 22, 24 6:32 am     Reply with quote

But you tried regardless....

Much respect Jim!

Eric

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
396 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostWed May 22, 24 7:45 am    Re: Epilogue Reply with quote

TravisBickleRex wrote:
Struggle within, triggered again...now the candle burns at both ends.... Suffice it to say Manzo dished-up-it-up with short period, impending disaster froth on Friday. I used my Illusion (1 and 2) - everything...even the throwaway tracks...(which are most of 'em), and merely ended-up wading to chest deep crashing surf, or sideways swims, with occasional explosive sets depositing their furry on my head. It was not pretty. I didn't get, even close to outa the beatdown zone. The next morning, I looked-out from the dunes, and it would have been do-able, if there'd been wind. I selected exactly the wrong time to attempt to try in the tide cycle, and the height/period.

Awwe snap! At least you were brave enough to try and tame the beast.
Very Happy

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
602 Posts

Addicted

PostWed May 22, 24 10:42 am     Reply with quote

So next time you will not be starting from scratch but from experience and it will go much better! Big ups for trying!

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
886 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostWed May 22, 24 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

Having lived on the central Oregon coast for over 35 years, and did the windsurfing thing for 10 years before making the jump to kitesurfing for the other 25 years. I have learned a few things about venturing out into the surf.

1. The waves are almost always bigger than they look from standing on shore. The bigger the surf is, then the further from shore the outside waves are breaking. Thus, very large outside waves will appear way smaller than the actual size of the wave when it is about to unload on your head.

2. Strong currents in big surf are very real and can sweep a paddler one way or the other far faster than one can paddle against the flow. Try to work with the currents and not against them. If the rip current is pulling out to sea, paddle to the side to get out of the current and not against it. Generally, to the sides of an out-to-sea current are zones where whitewater is pushing back to shore.

3. Always better to lose or break equipment rather than risk injury or loss of life when situations get dire. Ditch the gear and save yourself if necessary.

4. On the Oregon coast any kind of emergency rescue is a long way away and a long time out. Best practice is only head out there if you feel confident that you can make it back to shore alone.

5. Lastly, I have participated in windsurfing, kitesurfing, kite foiling, and I am now attempting to learn winging. For large, burly, hard breaking surf on the Oregon coast, a nicely powered up kite and a surfboard is still the best set of windsport tools for safely venturing out in big conditions and collecting tons of waves.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1262 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 22, 24 3:23 pm     Reply with quote

Reminds me of my first attempt to windsurf Florence... and the subsequent thumb-sucking huddled under blankets in the van curled up in the fetal position.

Good on ya Jaime! See ya soon.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1213 Posts
Portland
BRACKISH

PostThu May 23, 24 4:16 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
Reminds me of my first attempt to windsurf Florence... and the subsequent thumb-sucking huddled under blankets in the van curled up in the fetal position.

Good on ya Jaime! See ya soon.

Laughing So been there and the cold hard metal floor offers no solace!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: