Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ocean Rodeo Dissolving?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4207 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat May 11, 24 6:20 pm    Ocean Rodeo Dissolving? Reply with quote

Does this mean Ocean Rodeo is going away??? https://aluula.com/aluula-provides-corporate-update-and-outlines-strategic-refocus/

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
279 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSat May 11, 24 8:01 pm    OR Mic Drop... Reply with quote

YES - suspending operations.

On the upside you can get a once established KITE brand for cheap...

Also WING stuff.

Would love to see OR find a new home in the Gorge...

Any BUYERS out there???

Hurry PLZ

MC

kuips

Since 19 Mar 2009
78 Posts
white salmon

PostWed May 15, 24 9:41 am     Reply with quote

step 1: manufacture gear using new high-quality proprietary materials at a loss
step 2: sell proprietary materials to industry brands scrambling to keep up
step 3: get brands to market proprietary material as #1 premium option
step 4: sunset revenue losing brand
step 5: increase cost of proprietary materials on industry

get ready for more $2k+ wings Rolling Eyes

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
542 Posts

Addicted

PostWed May 15, 24 10:06 am     Reply with quote

ive heard that Aluula is a big difference in performance, maybe even a game changer.

My hope is that focus on Aluula manufacturing by the company formerly known as Ocean Rodeo, will bring down the material cost........or maybe drive further innovation that leads to even better gear/performance

I think a HUGE bummer is that OR was pretty innovative on a few fronts. Kiters have definitely been the benefactor of some things they did differently up there.

Personally, Im worried that kiting is falling off. Though, i suspect that we are in a change cycle and companies are developing fewer models of kites and investing R&D/Production budgets in things like wings/foils/#theNewShit

sflinux

Since 16 Jun 2012
4 Posts

Kook

PostMon May 20, 24 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

OG wrote:
Personally, Im worried that kiting is falling off.

Just my opinion but I've always felt the "golden age" of kiting peaked around 2007.
I love C shaped kites and have just witnessed the industry go the wrong direction since then. You can build a kite out of whatever top of the line material you want, but if the shape sucks, the kite is still gonna suck.
Would the kite industry rebuild retro classic kites using the original designs out of aluula? I am a bit skeptical that I would be able to "feel" the difference.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2068 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue May 21, 24 10:04 am    Who got rich in the Alaska gold rush? Reply with quote

Well aside from a few miners, it was the merchants that got rich selling all the raw materials and equipment to the miners.

So, it is of no surprise to me that Ocean Rodeo has decided to stop making wind gear and decided to manufacture and focus upon the selling/pushing of Aluula to anyone who is willing to buy it to make whatever.

And OG, kiting has been falling off for a long time. I suspect there will be more companies deciding to stop making kites.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: