Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Looking for someone to Adopt NWKITE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6549 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu May 02, 24 10:55 am    Looking for someone to Adopt NWKITE Reply with quote

Hello friends -
its been about 20 years now of having this site up, and its clear it still serves a function for the community.

However I can no longer give it the attention it needs, so I am looking for someone with the abilities / funds to take it over.

I have been footing the monthly bill for hosting but doing little else. If you are interested or know someone who is please contact me at pholmstr@gmail.com

Thank you!

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
542 Posts

Addicted

PostFri May 03, 24 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

Hi PKH. Thanks for all the years of NWKite. I have made friends and had endless good times as a result of connections made through this forum. I do miss the more active days of the first 10 years though. I agree that there is still value to the community.

I remember something about moving the forum to FB, and the community not being into it. Im not sure what the attitude is now, but that seems like a really good way to keep things going with a lot less overhead....i think. im sure FB has its own problems that will come with it. The big downside would be losing all the content on nwkite, if there is no way to move forum content into an FB group.

I know there are groups for SI & Jones (probably more) on FB, as well as gear for sale in the PNW groups. Seems like those function as examples/POCs/domain knowledge for a move like this.

Maybe bringing up FB is too much in the solution space. Maybe i should bring this up more in the concept space and say "Would be cool if this moved to something that was free and the management was included".

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
393 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostFri May 03, 24 2:13 pm     Reply with quote

Life without NWKite... Shocked Sad

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
614 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostFri May 03, 24 4:44 pm    thanks pkh!! Reply with quote

long live nwkite!!!

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
542 Posts

Addicted

PostSat May 04, 24 3:36 pm    Re: thanks pkh!! Reply with quote

kss wrote:
long live nwkite!!!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2576 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun May 05, 24 7:12 am     Reply with quote

In 2000 I moved to Manly Australia for my job. I packed all my windsurf gear, but the wind there was frustratingly light. One day I saw a lone kiter out on the water shredding and throwing huge airs. The next day I bought a 2-line Naish "Pink Pirate" kite with an Underground board. Not long after my company pulled me back to the PNW. I was miserable at first, but at some point I popped into the shop where Tak and T worked, I learned about Sauvie, and NWK. Our network grew and the rest is history. All was right with the world.

Long Live NWK.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
542 Posts

Addicted

PostSun May 05, 24 7:32 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
In 2000 I moved to Manly Australia for my job. I packed all my windsurf gear, but the wind there was frustratingly light. One day I saw a lone kiter out on the water shredding and throwing huge airs. The next day I bought a 2-line Naish "Pink Pirate" kite with an Underground board. Not long after my company pulled me back to the PNW. I was miserable at first, but at some point I popped into the shop where Tak and T worked, I learned about Sauvie, and NWK. Our network grew and the rest is history. All was right with the world.

Long Live NWK.

The good 'ol SI days with 16-20m naish aeros, OG banana cabrinha kites, and good ol fuels. Oh ya, and the peanut gallery on the top of the berm, mostly just joking about not being able to relaunch those beasts we were all flying. Good times

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2066 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu May 09, 24 12:06 pm    Re: thanks pkh!! Reply with quote

kss wrote:
long live nwkite!!!

Thanks Phil for your efforts, contributions, and generosity! NWkite has been an awesome source of info and entertainment these past 20 years.

"Long live NWKITE!

Rookie199

Since 11 Aug 2022
7 Posts
Oregon
Kook

PostSun May 12, 24 8:37 am     Reply with quote

Has anyone expressed interest?

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1258 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 15, 24 7:46 am     Reply with quote

I'll drop you a line when I get a chance. I maintain a domain (windluvr.com) on Total Choice Hosting so I can use dedicated emails for my accounts and some rudimentary 'cloud' accessibility. If my account level (silver, IIRC) meets the technical criteria for traffic, it may be a short punt to point another domain to it, as long as I can preserve my existing emails and not have to reprogram each account. (Or maybe we could dupe it on windluvr and do a redirect from nwkite - point is, I pay for hosting I'm not exactly using as such).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: