Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wing Boards - Short and Fat or Long and Skinny

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
835 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Apr 22, 24 3:11 pm    Wing Boards - Short and Fat or Long and Skinny Reply with quote

Seem like many manufacturers are moving towards long and skinny boards, as opposed to the short and fat models.

Moving down in board size as we all do in the progression of this sport, and wondering what the consensus is on the pluses and minuses of each of these two basic design concepts, liters of the board being the same.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1257 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 22, 24 6:00 pm     Reply with quote

I think it depends if you plan to develop SUP foil skills. The long and narrow boards tend to have more of a 'V' hull to release quickly when paddling up, whereas the short & wide design allows you more stability on your hands and knees (helpful in chop) getting up winging, which I've appreciated as a newb winger.

@Slappysan probably has much better insight; I've followed his journey learning to wing on a SUP foil board on YouTube (Angus MacKay).

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
389 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 23, 24 7:51 am     Reply with quote

... another plus is that most manufacturers of the mid-length boards are moving the mast track more forward now, so it is decreasing the swing weight, and making it feel more like a short board ride. Very Happy

sleestack

Since 07 Dec 2006
182 Posts
Land of the Lost
Stoked

PostTue Apr 23, 24 10:06 am    Re: Wing Boards - Short and Fat or Long and Skinny Reply with quote

[quote="Pete"]Seem like many manufacturers are moving towards long and skinny boards, as opposed to the short and [b]fat models[/b].

Moving down in board size as we all do in the progression of this sport, and wondering what the consensus is on the pluses and minuses of each of these two basic design concepts, liters of the board being the same.[/quote]

[b]The more the cushion, the better the heal and toe-side pushing.

Fat bottom boards make the world go round.[/b]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Apr 23, 24 10:40 am     Reply with quote

There are folks out there who don't see a reason to have a non-skinny but I plan to keep a shorter chip-style board around for ease of transport and storage. I tried a 118L Barracuda with a wing and the glide was impressive but not enough for me to give up a wide board and wing with an open forward facing stance.

When I do get a skinny I will go big for DW paddling and not so much to use with the wing.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1474 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 24, 24 9:30 am     Reply with quote

I've been experimenting with wing boards that are longer and narrow compared to the tradition shapes we see the past few years.
The concept is that they will accelerate faster on the water and lift off with less effort.
The concept is inspired from the Downwind boards.
So far I've built and tested a 88l, 77l, and two 66l boards.
I call them Torpedoes.
88 - 5-9x22
77 - 5-7x21
66 - 5-6x21.

My conclusions.
Pro
Easy to water start - balance on knees, stand up. The extra length makes them stable.
Faster acceleration on water.
Smooth easy liftoff.
Able to wing with a smaller hand wing (.5m smaller).
Longer boards are more pitch stable.
More likely to try new tricks and transitions - if you fall, it's easy to get back on foil.
Foot switches are easier.
If foil box is positioned correctly - swing weight is not much different than compact boards.
CON
I had to modify my van setup to accommodate longer boards. Cool.

Conclusion.
I weigh 185 and I'm an advanced rider.
I'm a convert. The 88l is fun in 10-15 knots of wind. The 77l is really fun on breezy days.... and the 66L is my new favorite for days of 20+.

The red board is a normal shape 66L. The Blue and white boards are 66L. The green board is 77L

boards small.jpg 

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
835 Posts

Opinionated

PostWed Apr 24, 24 9:47 am    Awesome Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
I've been experimenting with wing boards that are longer and narrow compared to the tradition shapes we see the past few years.
The concept is that they will accelerate faster on the water and lift off with less effort.
I call them Torpedoes.
88 - 5-9x22
77 - 5-7x21
66 - 5-6x21.

My conclusions.
Pro
Easy to water start - balance on knees, stand up. The extra length makes them stable.
Smooth easy liftoff.
More likely to try new tricks and transitions - if you fall, it's easy to get back on foil.
If foil box is positioned correctly - swing weight is not much different than compact boards.
CON

Conclusion.
I'm a convert. The 88l is fun in 10-15 knots of wind. The 77l is really fun on breezy days.... and the 66L is my new favorite for days of 20+.

The red board is a normal shape 66L. The Blue and white boards are 66L. The green board is 77L

Thanks, great info. Believe it or not, my friend who is making wing boards has some torpedos that are narrower than those that you showed here in the photos. I am interested to try one, which I will hopefully in the coming weeks.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
389 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 24, 24 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
I call them Torpedoes.
88 - 5-9x22
77 - 5-7x21
66 - 5-6x21.

My conclusions.
Pro
Smooth easy liftoff.
CON

Conclusion.

Do you build boards on request? Or personal hobby?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: