Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Port of Hood River Event Site fee increase

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
floydo

Since 07 Jun 2014
12 Posts
Gorge and Points South

PostThu Feb 23, 23 6:12 am    Port of Hood River Event Site fee increase Reply with quote

Saw this on FB. Apparently the Port is proposing an annual fee access increase from $150 to $200 for this year. That is after increasing it from $100 in 2021! Attached is a snip from David who apparently was at the meeting. It would be helpful to send a respectful comment to porthr@gorge.net or other means! No mention of the daily fee rates....Wow....

Port FB annual fee increase.jpg 

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Feb 23, 23 12:13 pm    Not just a proposal, that’s the new deal price. Reply with quote

Anyone who feels super butt hurt is free to boycott. Or park at the spit.

Sure, go ahead and send an outraged screed to the Port. They are super responsive. Maybe get bridge tolls lowered while we’re at….

The Port needs to pay for the fancy parking fee equipment they invested in.

floydo

Since 07 Jun 2014
12 Posts
Gorge and Points South

PostThu Feb 23, 23 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

Agree on some of your malty sarcasm!, FWIW their response to my email comments went like " I will ensure the Commissioners receive it as written public comment before their next meeting on March 7.
Genevieve Scholl
Deputy Executive Director
Port of Hood River"

Won't be back in the hood till april, but next meeting Mar 7 could be interesting....

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Feb 23, 23 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

[url] http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-51275.html[/url]

This got chewed on a few weeks past. Event site permits are now an all year round thing. Not just enforced during kite season.

Community response was a big, “Meh, what you going to do?” A pass beats the daily fee if you have a serious habit.

Just saying, it’s not a proposal, open to comment…it’s already done.

Hatchery, Doug’s, Viento, Rowena, Event site, rooster…. here a pass, there a pass. The days of free parking are pretty much over.

Spit, Marina, and the hook are still free, at least for the moment. But the hook is getting serious pressure and parking there has been reduced.

Having a paved parking, a grass lawn, fresh water shower and bathroom is worth a few bucks.

Tons of overflow parking included if the prime real estate is full.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Feb 23, 23 3:46 pm    First world problems Reply with quote

If you guys complain enough the port might just eliminate the season parking pass. It would be a great way to increase revenue and make better use of the electronic parking fee equipment. And would probably allow for a more diverse user group to enjoy the waterfront vs the typical wealthy sprinter van person who parks there every day and gets a great bargain for $200.

Malt is right - the port currently has no shortage of waterfront users. Not sure why anyone thinks the Port is obligated to provide discounts on parking.

floydo

Since 07 Jun 2014
12 Posts
Gorge and Points South

PostThu Feb 23, 23 3:58 pm     Reply with quote

Missed the earlier discussion...(obviously)... Wink
Tho I wonder how they will be or have been treating the marina, and business leaseholders...we know what the bridge history has been...
OK this is NWKite....

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 23, 23 8:40 pm     Reply with quote

Well the city council meeting came and went with few attendees. One outspoken community member made some logical proposals, but the Port is quasi-judicial, meaning they basically don't have to account to anyone, so as we've seen before, they'll listen to the community but aren't easily persuaded.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Feb 24, 23 10:07 am    Re: Port of Hood River Event Site fee increase Reply with quote

floydo wrote:
Saw this on FB. Apparently the Port is proposing an annual fee access increase from $150 to $200 for this year. That is after increasing it from $100 in 2021! Attached is a snip from David who apparently was at the meeting. It would be helpful to send a respectful comment to porthr@gorge.net or other means! No mention of the daily fee rates....Wow....

Dude, tell me something that hasn't gone up every year; especially the past 18 months or so. A season's pass seems like a pretty inexpensive expense taking into account what it offers and the water sport/s you indulge in.

All you can probably do is ask this question; "a, ahhh, you using the whole fist doc?"

And of course singing Moon River. Razz Laughing

Link

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 24, 23 5:20 pm     Reply with quote

Hood River is now like boulder, Aspen Colorado, Malibu, Monterey California and a long list of upper wealthy communities restricting access to lower income families by adding and increasing service fees. (higher than inflation I add) And as we all know, lower income generally means none white. The second misfortune is Hood River now has the culture of these high income communities. Hood River in my 30 year of visiting has really changed (drastically) and some things not for the better.

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostFri Feb 24, 23 6:01 pm     Reply with quote

I'm selling Lyle sandbar access annual passes for $200. They allow you to access the sandbar via jumping into the Klickitat and swimming to the sandbar (return to parking lot is up to you).

All proceeds go to VTI sandbar cam and daily weather report.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostFri Mar 10, 23 9:32 am    New Port Web Cams Reply with quote

I think the port spent their extra money on new web cams so we can watch the high school sailing team practice inside the Marina.

https://portofhoodriver.com/live-cam-viewer/

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 15, 23 7:50 am    sweet Reply with quote

nice cams! Need more of those so I can just live vicariously from the comfort of my Stratalounger. Who can I whine to so they fix the Stevie cam? Tired of watching Youtube for a fix, time for some real action, Sum sum SUMMATIME!

thumbnail (30).jpg 

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 15, 23 9:25 am    Re: New Port Web Cams Reply with quote

hilton wrote:
I think the port spent their extra money on new web cams so we can watch the high school sailing team practice inside the Marina.

https://portofhoodriver.com/live-cam-viewer/

The airport seems to be where the (in)action's at - money well spent.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 26, 23 11:14 am     Reply with quote

Kudos to The Port of HR for a stellar job on cracking down on parking. So great to see an enforcement kook show up at 5:30pm on Sunday to issue citations. Now if that same effort could only be applied to more productive uses.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: