Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT Buyer Beware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostFri Aug 12, 22 10:02 am    OT Buyer Beware Reply with quote

I know a lot of people on here have solar systems on their vans & RV's. Many might be looking at systems to install or upgrade. Just thought I'd warn everyone against purchasing anything from Dakota Lithium. Bought a complete 200 amp hour system from them with high end lithium battery. Got nothing for installation manual....nothing on website that really covers schematics or good installation guidelines....just a very basic instruction card with each component. Called the company to ask questions - got a recording that said you have to email technical questions - no actual person there to talk to. So I did - about 5 questions to start with. I've been waiting over 10 days for a response - nothing. I've sent a follow-up email - nothing. Lots of info on youtube on generic solar installs so I'm getting everything dialed from that - but - if a company can't answer some basic questions and help the customer's they've sold to - I don't know why you'd want to ever buy anything from them. They claim 11 year warranty but I can't imagine they'd honor it if they can't even help people with questions. I should have done more homework & read more reviews before I bought the system - have since discovered I'm not alone in my frustrations.

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostSat Aug 13, 22 8:21 am     Reply with quote

These are drop in replacements no manuals required.

This is not a buyer beware but a buyer needs to be aware of what they are getting. Start by watching will prowse.

Ask any question these are simple to install an maintain with low C ratings they should last 10-20 years.

Warranties of any product isn't worth the paper they are written on I prefer Charmin it's not as rough as warranty paper..

Only 2 things matter no cold ever for lithium and protect your alternator. Everything else is fine tuning. You don't need anything special for lithium especially with a drop in replacement like you bought. Plug n play

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostMon Aug 15, 22 6:03 pm     Reply with quote

It's not that intimidating mechanically. It's just the company has -0- customer service. Whenever I buy & install multiple components that are supposed to be integrated I would think an overall schematic and install guide would be part of the package. I would also think a company could provide answers if questions arise. I'm all dialed on installation without them now - but just wanted to let others know that Dakota Lithium is a horrible company more than anything else...don't waste your money there.

exhibitpro

Since 03 May 2019
7 Posts
Los Angeles \ Hood River
Kook

PostTue Aug 16, 22 8:52 am     Reply with quote

Sorry you've had issues with them. I've had great experience with their products and their customer service. "horrible company" may not be as accurate as maybe "had a bad experience in this case".

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostWed Aug 17, 22 6:02 am     Reply with quote

"horrible company" may not be as accurate as maybe "had a bad experience in this case".

Nah. I could agree with your premise if I was asking for some warranty refund & there was some dispute over warranty coverage or something of that nature. All I did was ask some pretty straightforward questions of the company after receiving the system. They couldn't even bother to reply - even after following up with the same questions a 2nd time. That's just horrible customer service & reflects an overall attitude from the company itself. I haven't asked for any refund or return....just wanted to confirm ideas on my particular installation. Just hoping the products are as good as you suggest.

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostWed Sep 07, 22 1:29 pm     Reply with quote

Just an update on my original post...
I did finally hear back from the company. Over 3 weeks from my original questions to them. Like most tech inquiries the responses lead to more questions or a need for clarification. I'd already installed my system by the time I heard back from them. After installing and upgrading the "system" I ended up not even using several of their components as they were inadequate - especially once I added panels. Their concept of a mounting system on the roof was totally inadequate as well as the charge controller for even a small upgrade in solar input. Inverter is useless. Battery does seem solid though. System is fully functional with upgrades and used on a camping trip with wife over Labor Day. Never plugged in - plenty of juice for our needs.

I will never buy any components or products from this company again - so my original statement remains - buyer beware. There are better companies & products out there - I just didn't do adequate due diligence.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: