Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

wing board size advice - shared between me & my gf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dobermankby

Since 07 Jul 2021
23 Posts

PostSun Aug 21, 22 12:58 pm    wing board size advice - shared between me & my gf Reply with quote

Hello, I'm a strong beginner/intermediate level kiteboarder, my girlfriend has no water sports experience, but she's athletic and an advanced snowboarder.
I'm looking for an inflatable wing foil board that we can both use for learning. Inflatable is a must, because we'll fly to La Ventana with it.
I'm 80 kg
She's 55 kg

I'm looking at Slingshot I_FLY v1 (please let me also know if you have good or bad feedback for this specific board.)
This board comes in 105L or 120L.

Option-1: I can get the 105L. It would be perfect for her (weight + 50L) but a bit more difficult for me (weight + 25L), but I'm hoping my kite experience can help me?

Option-2: Get the 120L board, which would be perfect for me, but probably too big for her (her weight + 65L).

What do you guys think? Which size should I go with? Thanks a lot!

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostSun Aug 21, 22 5:02 pm     Reply with quote

go for the bigger board for learning
it will make it easier on both of you

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 21, 22 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

Yep. Both of you will need a smaller board eventually anyway, so get a big board to start and you will learn that much faster

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Aug 21, 22 5:50 pm     Reply with quote

Assuming Adam and Playa Central does weekly packages again next year you may be better off renting down there as a beginner.

dobermankby

Since 07 Jul 2021
23 Posts

PostMon Aug 22, 22 10:19 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. Just ordered the 120L. I guess it makes sense to get the large one since this board will be exclusively for learning. It'll be bigger than advised for my gf (weight + 65L) but I'm guessing there's no big disadvantage in that until after you're able to get up on the foil, right? At which point I'll sell this to another beginner anyway.
About rental idea, since both of us will be using this to learn, it makes more sense for me buy it and then sell for a few hundred $ loss later.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 22, 22 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

As you get better you'll want to move away from an inflatable anyway, probably something ~90 liters, and start off sharing that until she blows by your skills and buys her own sinker. Wink

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostWed Aug 24, 22 8:29 pm     Reply with quote

This might be a good board for you:

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/post-254126.html#254126

All the best,
Hein

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: