Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Reminder about launching your kite at Rufus cove.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Jimbo

Since 16 Jul 2009
58 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Jul 06, 20 1:37 pm    Reminder about launching your kite at Rufus cove. Reply with quote

Launching your kite at Rufus.

If you are launching in the cove at the east end of the rock pile there are a few etiquette things that really make launching, landing and using this launch and land zone there more enjoyable for everyone. Here are a few DO’s and DON’Ts

DO: Be ready to go out. By that I mean, be in your suit, harness, other gear and have your board ready. It is fully acceptable to only have your wetsuit on to the waist but once you are ready to go you take another 30 seconds to pull it on the rest of the way, secure your harness and get going.

DON’T: Don’t come down to the cove (pump and run lines zone) in street clothes, pump your kite, run your lines and then leave to get your suit on. Chances are others will run their lines over yours, land their kite on top of your kite or your kite and lines will be in the way of someone who is ready to go out. Don’t be surprised if your kite gets moved and you have to re-run your lines if you leave your kite down there.

DO: Pump your kite and run your lines running North/South along the little beach in the cove perpendicular to the river. (The pump and run lines zone) Once your lines are attached to the kite, get a launch and get out of there. I find it safest to have your launcher stand on east end of the little beach parallel to the river and for you to be in the cove. I also find it helpful to launch just shade hotter than you normally would. The wind gets shadowed by the rockpile to the west so it is best to have a little more wind in your kite so it doesn't fall back in the wind window and then power up and yard you.

DON’T: Don’t run your lines or pump your kite on the beach that runs parallel to the river. This is where people who launch kites need to stand to safely launch kites. Your lines will get stepped on or tangled and your kite will likely be in the way too.

DO: When leaving to get on the river and kite, get out and stay away until you are ready to come in. Kite away from the launch and land zone. There is a lot of river for you to use.

DON’T: Kite back and forth right where everyone is trying to launch and land. There is a whole lot of river there and it is easy to go downwind or upwind to be out of the traffic zone.

DO: When you come in. Wrap your lines pretty quickly and move your kite out of the way of the pump and run lines zone. If you are going to take a break, break your kite down rather than let it sit baking in the sun.

DON’T: Leave your kite around out in the middle of the pump and run lines zone.

DO: If you are launching and heading out. Give the right of way for someone coming in. Who knows, maybe they are hurt, overpowered or something else and they really need to get in worse that you need to get out.

DON’T: Don’t be impatient. It is a little cove and a lot of people are pumping, running lines, launching and landing kites. A little kindness, help and understanding goes a long way.

Thanks for reading, be safe, have fun and most of all....

Be Stoked!!!

Jimbo.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jul 06, 20 2:09 pm    Re: Reminder about launching your kite at Rufus cove. Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
Launching your kite at Rufus.

If you are launching in the cove at the east end of the rock pile there are a few etiquette things that really make launching, landing and using this launch and land zone there more enjoyable for everyone. Here are a few DO’s and DON’Ts

DO: Be ready to go out. By that I mean, be in your suit, harness, other gear and have your board ready. It is fully acceptable to only have your wetsuit on to the waist but once you are ready to go you take another 30 seconds to pull it on the rest of the way, secure your harness and get going.

DON’T: Don’t come down to the cove (pump and run lines zone) in street clothes, pump your kite, run your lines and then leave to get your suit on. Chances are others will run their lines over yours, land their kite on top of your kite or your kite and lines will be in the way of someone who is ready to go out. Don’t be surprised if your kite gets moved and you have to re-run your lines if you leave your kite down there.

DO: Pump your kite and run your lines running North/South along the little beach in the cove perpendicular to the river. (The pump and run lines zone) Once your lines are attached to the kite, get a launch and get out of there. I find it safest to have your launcher stand on east end of the little beach parallel to the river and for you to be in the cove. I also find it helpful to launch just shade hotter than you normally would. The wind gets shadowed by the rockpile to the west so it is best to have a little more wind in your kite so it doesn't fall back in the wind window and then power up and yard you.

DON’T: Don’t run your lines or pump your kite on the beach that runs parallel to the river. This is where people who launch kites need to stand to safely launch kites. Your lines will get stepped on or tangled and your kite will likely be in the way too.

DO: When leaving to get on the river and kite, get out and stay away until you are ready to come in. Kite away from the launch and land zone. There is a lot of river for you to use.

DON’T: Kite back and forth right where everyone is trying to launch and land. There is a whole lot of river there and it is easy to go downwind or upwind to be out of the traffic zone.

DO: When you come in. Wrap your lines pretty quickly and move your kite out of the way of the pump and run lines zone. If you are going to take a break, break your kite down rather than let it sit baking in the sun.

DON’T: Leave your kite around out in the middle of the pump and run lines zone.

DO: If you are launching and heading out. Give the right of way for someone coming in. Who knows, maybe they are hurt, overpowered or something else and they really need to get in worse that you need to get out.

DON’T: Don’t be impatient. It is a little cove and a lot of people are pumping, running lines, launching and landing kites. A little kindness, help and understanding goes a long way.

Thanks for reading, be safe, have fun and most of all....

Be Stoked!!!

Jimbo.

Jimbo, all good advice!!! However, your list needs one more addition:

DO: Bring lots of extra truck driver cold beer, aka "Truck", and share with others--social distancing of course.

Drunk

Now f*cking send it!!!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 06, 20 2:27 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for posting!
Except for the Rufus specifics - this applies to almost any launch site in the Gorge.

It amazes me that people rig their gear in the middle of the launch/land zone in their street clothes.....but I see it everywhere I go.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Jul 06, 20 5:23 pm     Reply with quote

In my last 10 years there.. 10 years same issues. It appears most of the kiters there don't read this forum. If anyone is willing to share this info in person to our fellow kiters who laxidasily go against the grain... It would really help.

www.freeridekiting.com

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 06, 20 6:10 pm     Reply with quote

I gotta admit, it is kinda funny because the majority of people who kite here don’t read this forum but we sure act like they do....

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 06, 20 9:12 pm     Reply with quote

I vote to sticky this post; it's helpful, well-written, thorough, and accurate. Thanks for taking the time Jimbo.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Jul 11, 20 8:47 pm     Reply with quote

Jimbo,

Good stuff!
Thanks for posting!

Be Stoked!!

JP

ps. thanks for the use of your foil!

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: